Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 17, 2016   #61
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to mention another is Aji Crystal, it might be worth growing too? Hey nice peppers Green Go!
I obtained some bell types from the UK. i want to try them. Some are sold here, not all though.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #62
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The Rocoto on the bottom shelf middle bright red with the little Inca god on it, get it.

Worth
Ok will get it tomorrow... :-) what is it best used on or in?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #63
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_go View Post
In 2014 season, I had a great success with Carmen F1 pepper. Perfect for short summers (zones 4 and 5)
I grew around 30 pants in total (about 20 of them were Carmen) and every week between August and mid-September, I was grilling multiple trays of Carmen peppers and freezing them, because we could not consume all the ripe ones.
Then in 2015, I decided to expand my selection in terms of colour and shape and decided to try bells too. Not all of them turned out good, but some did (I listed them earlier).
I probably will go back to mostly growing Carmen with some Gypsy and select bells.
Pic of my harvest from 2014 and 2015.

2014:

2015:
Oh wow, those are beautifil

Ginny
Old January 17, 2016   #64
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Ok will get it tomorrow... :-) what is it best used on or in?

Ginny

The ones I bought were in the can as whole peppers.
Use them in everything I dont know what else to say.
Some I just ate the way they were you know how much I love peppers.
If they are whole you could stuff them with shrimp or fish.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #65
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The ones I bought were in the can as whole peppers.
Use them in everything I dont know what else to say.
Some I just ate the way they were you know how much I love peppers.
If they are whole you could stuff them with shrimp or fish.

Worth
Are thwy super super hot?

Ginny
Old January 18, 2016   #66
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Well if you like Tex Mex you have to try that Green Chili stew. I used boneless pork loin as I had it on hand. The green chili's don't grow well here, and well we are close to the same weather.
So I grow a lot of them. Of course the one with not the best taste grows the best
Todo Dia Mira El Sol Chili Pepper. I'll grow again as it produced over a dozen chili peppers!
Big Jim ws probably the best tasting, super good! Not very productive. I tried Heritage, and Legacy Big Jim's. Both outstanding! Even with only 4-6 peppers, still so good! Any of the Numex green chili's taste good! 6-4, etc. Sandia is the hot one if you like hot green chili!

http://www.food.com/recipe/authentic...le-stew-277862

Have you tried Nu Mex Joe E Parker? I have that one growing. I usually only grow shi-shi-tos but this year I'm trying about 10 to 15 random kinds of peppers to see if we like any as well... :-)

Ginny

Old January 18, 2016   #67
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I blew up the picture and its a paste. They probably have the peppers too. I'm not sure I would use the paste enough so I'm going to stop by and see if they have the peppers.

Ginny
Old January 18, 2016   #68
swamper
Tomatovillian™

I'm a fan of the diversity of peppers. I always like to try a few new ones. Last year Pimento de Cheiro and 7 Pot White were standouts among trials.

Arledge from Louisiana is a personal favorite.

I'll be growing out an orange chile that appeared in a growout of an insect cross involving an early ripening hybrid growout.

I have a stabilized orange sweet pepper that is very well adapted to my climate that was likely the pollen parent of the variety mentioned above.

I haven't grown Mariachi f1 in a few years and am looking forward to roasting a few on the grill. and last but not least, a new one for me this year that I am most looking forward to growing is:

Aji Fantasy, Sparkly White C. baccatum
A brand new breed of the old Aji Fantasy bred by Fatalii. http://fataliiseeds.net/search?query=baccatum
...more thick fleshed. The taste of these incredibly delicious pods are little less sweet, they're much more fresh tasting and it has a 'sparkly' overtones on a Quite compact plant for a C. baccatum. Gives amazing yields even in little lower light conditions....

I have a few other new seeds that might be interesting....
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #69
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I will be interested in seeing what you think of the Aji Fantasy after you have grown it. I have never grown a white pepper before. Guess this one may have to go on my next year list.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #70
swamper
Tomatovillian™

7 Pot white does not look as white as the photos of Aji Fantasy Sparkly White. 7PW is however extremely hot, though diluted in a sauce the flavor is outstanding compared to other superhots in my opinion. I've always liked peppers that start out wax colored (Mariachi), I have another sweet line that is a dehybridization of a hybrid wax bell that is coming along. alma paprika is another that I've done well with. The white/ wax peppers caramelize well when roasted with less bitterness that their green counterparts.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #71
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post

Worth, I blew up the picture and its a paste. They probably have the peppers too. I'm not sure I would use the paste enough so I'm going to stop by and see if they have the peppers.

Ginny
Ginny super super hot to me is a habanero and up.
They are not like this and the hot seems to be different in some strange way.

You might relate it to the difference between a hot bath and a hot shower.
The canned rocotos I bought were not near as hot as the fresh manzono peppers I have been buying.
In my opinion and only my opinion and only for me, (get this) I feel it is silly to eat any peppers so hot you are quivering on the floor.
It is just in my opinion crazy.
You Tube is full of folks doing this, sure it is fun but these peppers do have a use.
But I do use these types of peppers when I want hot but dont want to have to use so many it kills the flavor of what I am wanting to have some heat to it.
This is why I used the habanero in the marmalade I made.
If I want to make a salsa that is chili based I go the other way and use milder peppers.

The beauty of doing this is you can cut costs below half and make something that is just right for you.

While I am here the salsa I made last summer without vinegar and used lime and lemon juice to acidify is just a fresh as the day it was made.
I just cant remember if I used powdered citric acid too.

Worth
Old January 18, 2016   #72
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I planted a pepper variety today called Brazilian Starfish https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=brazilian+starfish The 5:11 video makes it sound interesting.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #73
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I'm a fan of the diversity of peppers. I always like to try a few new ones. Last year Pimento de Cheiro and 7 Pot White were standouts among trials.

I think you have solved a mystery pepper for me. I am trialling over 50 types of peppers and some come from mixes. I had one early hot pepper that is about 3.5 " long by about 1.5" wide, conical in shape and upright. The weird thing was that it was from the pinetree mix that listed what the possible peppers could be. Arledge or Louisiana Hots was not in that list. When I was looking up Arledge, it was identical to my pepper. I went back to the pinetree description and they have changed the list to imply that there maybe peppers not sold by variety in their mix. I am wondering if there is another very early hot pepper with the above description. Either way it is a keeper.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #74
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I planted a pepper variety today called Brazilian Starfish https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=brazilian+starfish The 5:11 video makes it sound interesting.
I watched this one and didn't need a stupid knife advertisement.
Then another guy didn't pronounce Aji right he gave it the J sound and not the H sound as in A Hee.
The fist guy said there was mild heat the second guy said they could go to 50,000.

One of these days I will try it.

Worth
Old January 18, 2016   #75
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post

I'll be growing out an orange chile that appeared in a growout of an insect cross involving an early ripening hybrid growout.

I have a stabilized orange sweet pepper that is very well adapted to my climate that was likely the pollen parent of the variety mentioned above.

I haven't grown Mariachi f1 in a few years and am looking forward to roasting a few on the grill. and last but not least, a new one for me this year that I am most looking forward to growing is:

Aji Fantasy, Sparkly White C. baccatum
A brand new breed of the old Aji Fantasy bred by Fatalii. http://fataliiseeds.net/search?query=baccatum
...more thick fleshed. The taste of these incredibly delicious pods are little less sweet, they're much more fresh tasting and it has a 'sparkly' overtones on a Quite compact plant for a C. baccatum. Gives amazing yields even in little lower light conditions....

I have a few other new seeds that might be interesting....
Sounds great, if you have any extra seeds of these gems, let us know! Your close to me so a good bell pepper would be very welcome. And any good peppper that grows well here. All mentioned sound interesting.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote