Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 19, 2018   #16
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Fred's peppers this year. I started one plant in mid-Feb and it is loaded with beautiful green peppers. Can't wait to try it!

Here's the blurb:

"Our Dolce di Minervino pepper landrace contains a mix of sweet orange and red frying peppers. Each year we select for the best red and orange peppers within this intermixing population of peppers that we have been refining since 2008.
These sweet peppers have an amazing depth of flavor and the skin is soft and thin, which makes them an ideal frying pepper (because the skins do not have to be removed after cooking). "
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #17
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy Nardello
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #18
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Si★★★★o & Cubanelle this year based on advice from an online friend.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #19
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I bought "Antohi Romani" closeout from Johnny's a couple years back and love them. They start out cream colored and can be picked early and taste decent, unlike bell peppers. Also, they don't seem to get rot spots like bells. I did not plant a single bell this year.

Johnny's now carries one called Antohi Romanian that looks to be the same...perhaps the old closeout was due to misprinted labels?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #20
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I switched from bells to yummy peppers a few years ago and never have looked back! Despite hybrid designation they grow true in color flavor and habit. https://www.jungseed.com/P/03247/Yum...+Hybrid+Pepper
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I switched from bells to yummy peppers a few years ago and never have looked back! Despite hybrid designation they grow true in color flavor and habit. https://www.jungseed.com/P/03247/Yum...+Hybrid+Pepper
yes, you are correct. I even had an email discussion with them about why they are now classified as a hybrid and the man stood his ground... I told him they should truly grow them out and see for themselves that these are not hybrid peppers. I think it is the low seed count of each peppers that they are making up for... by calling them hybrids so they can charge more for them.
Old June 25, 2018   #22
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

...And by calling them "hybrid", they discourage seed saving - which keeps you coming back for more seed. I have grown several "hybrids" over the years, which I then grew from saved seed, hoping to stabilize them... only to find out (to my great surprise) that they were already stable.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #23
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I bought "Antohi Romani" closeout from Johnny's a couple years back and love them. They start out cream colored and can be picked early and taste decent, unlike bell peppers. Also, they don't seem to get rot spots like bells. I did not plant a single bell this year.

Johnny's now carries one called Antohi Romanian that looks to be the same...perhaps the old closeout was due to misprinted labels?

I bought the seeds a couple of years ago also on closeout. This is my first season and they are growing like crazy for such a small plant. I'm growing impatient waiting on them to ripen though. I think I'll go ahead and pull a couple early...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #24
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I made something like 40 pints of sweet peppers with them last year. That was my second year growing them; this year, I started bells only for my brother's garden. Antohi Romani seeds saved from an orange pepper germinated fine for me, even though they do turn red later for sure thing seed saving. Kind of random info, I know, but in case disaster strikes...I have four separate bags of seed saved and grew some out from each of them this year. I think I had 75 transplants, and most went in the ground somewhere. It is pretty dry so far, so I'm not really sure how good a pepper year it will be. Last year was wet, and was excellent for peppers around here.

Regarding "hybrid" labeling, I tend to agree. I think it is often used as a scare tactic -"warning, don't waste your time, buy more from us next year". A huge pack of waltham butternut I bought last season claims it is a hybrid. Now, I bought that huge pack because it was only $5 at the farm supply place and I didn't want to worry about buying again for years or saving squash seed since it can easily cross. But I had to laugh at it being called hybrid because waltham butternut has been around for like a million years.

Jalafuego is a hybrid jalapeno I bought last year and loved...since I don't need that many each year, I consciously decided NOT to save seed just to avoid the temptation to grow it out to see if it is true, and therefore devote space to it under grow lights and then in garden. Of course, this March, I was kicking myself for not saving any. I'm sure I will debate myself similarly in another month or so.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #25
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Romanian rainbow and other light green when unripe pointy peppers. That's where it's at imo in terms of peppers if you want strong flavor (should be picked between ripe and unripe). For ripe Elephant ear types of flat/very pointy peppers (traditionally for paprika powder or grilling and eating with vinegar/garlic).
Now if you prefer to eat them raw and red, then that's where the bell peppers kinda win with their mild sweet flavor and thick flesh.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #26
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Romanian rainbow ..........
Zipcode... Is this a sweet peppers? Please tell me where I can get them. I had someone asking me for " Romanian wax" several years ago and no one had a source . I couldn't find anyone to sell them or share the seeds. One of my friends asked me to grow them only he had no more seeds and I couldn't find them. he had gotten them from Burpees and they no longer sell it.

Last edited by clkeiper; June 25, 2018 at 07:03 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #27
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I knew TGS had them, but appear to be *sold out*. I never did try that exact variety, just that this type is really popular in those parts of Europe and there are many hybrids with same qualities.
For example here: https://www.seminteplante.ro/3996-bibic-f1-250-sem.html

Not sure if they deliver outside EU.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #28
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I knew TGS had them, but appear to be *sold out*. I never did try that exact variety, just that this type is really popular in those parts of Europe and there are many hybrids with same qualities.
For example here: https://www.seminteplante.ro/3996-bibic-f1-250-sem.html

Not sure if they deliver outside EU.
I did edit that last comment, too. sorry.. I had another thought and clarified it a bit more. and I will ask around for roumanian rainbow now and not rainbow wax... that was what he told me it was called .. maybe next year I can get some from them. thanks ever so much.

edited again... I found them on reimers website. ordered them and will have late ones I guess. if nothing else I will have seeds for next year if he wants them. thanks ever so much zipcode for the key to my puzzle.

Last edited by clkeiper; June 25, 2018 at 08:09 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #29
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

http://www.reimerseeds.com/roumanian...t-peppers.aspx
In stock, trying them for the furst time this year.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #30
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
http://www.reimerseeds.com/roumanian...t-peppers.aspx
In stock, trying them for the furst time this year.
I already ordered them this morning, they will be late but I will grow them in the greenhouse