Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 6, 2018   #16
RainCoast
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think it is normal blossom drop due to no fruit set, is it very hot by you? I do wonder why the pedicel has broken halfway.
It was hot in May, cooled down somewhat in June.

Pedicel! Yes I was trying to find that word.

Thanks to you (pedicel) and Worth1 (abcission), I now have the words I need to check out relevant literature on Google. I have already found this

Development and regulation of pedicel abscission in tomato

available at

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4462994/

It looks deep but may be useful.

All the flowers on my Crnkovic Yugoslavian start to separate in the same pedicel abcission zone behind the flower. I've got a Stupice beside it and it is not suffering from flower drop.

Are there any technically correct tomato blossom drop images that you can refer me to?
RainCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2018   #17
MissS
Tomatovillian™

310xNxblossom-drop.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Gfzzt7A6Qn.jpg
Old July 7, 2018   #18
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Yes, blossom drop. A boron spray should help with that to some degree. Of course, after the plant is loaded with fruit on the lower levels, nothing really will convince it to set more flowers, especially if the weather is too hot.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018   #19
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I am having the same problem here in Langley. Some plants are loaded on the bottom but have stopped growing or producing flowers altogether. Other plants are fine. Also, for the first time, my beets and leeks have gone to seed. It must be the extremes in temperature and the general weirdness of the weather, I hope!

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #20
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

You need to prune some fruit on the lower level (when very small) to keep the plant balanced, nothing really to do about it (or live with it, like most people do). You'll notice how hybrids have a limited amount of flowers per truss, keeping constant production is key for the commercial grower to maximize overall yield.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #21
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
You need to prune some fruit on the lower level (when very small) to keep the plant balanced, nothing really to do about it (or live with it, like most people do). You'll notice how hybrids have a limited amount of flowers per truss, keeping constant production is key for the commercial grower to maximize overall yield.
I will keep that in mind for next year. Thanks. But what s really curious is that some of the heirlooms keep producing flowers and growing, though they have huge fruit on the bottom trusses. I have had tomatoes fall off with their branches on two of them because the fruit was so heavy.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote