Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default cherry types and fruitset

Word is that the cherry types continue to set well in high heat when others dont. So will they still set fruit in the middle of summer when the temps are high ? Your experiences?
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

My temp is 100 degrees today in El Paso-temps have been around 90-93 for two weeks and my cherries are still fruiting.
Old June 15, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Cherries set fruit for me all summer. They fill that gap when the larger fruited varieties shut down for a few weeks.
Old June 15, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
My temp is 100 degrees today in El Paso-temps have been around 90-93 for two weeks and my cherries are still fruiting.
Michael, in general/on average, what are your nighttime temps like during the summer there?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #5
frankkj
Tomatovillian™

We have had daytime temps in the mid to high 90's for a couple of weeks and my full season toms are still setting fruit, as are my cherrys. All my plants are container grown this year. Got plants over 8' tall with clusters at the top. I'll try to get a couple of pics later today and post.

SUZE, I think your are on to something. As I posted to another thread, I think.....without any scientific documentation... that the combination of daytime and nighttime temps cause tomatoes to stop setting fruit. The plants do fine for me with mid 90's daytime as long as the nighttime temps do not exceed the low 80's. Our night temps have actually been in the 60's and low 70's.

Just something else to think about that is out of our control if you grow outside.

Frank
Old June 16, 2007   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Suze-our average summer lows:

61 may
69 june
72 july
70 august
Old June 16, 2007   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Night time temps in the mid 70s seem to stop fruit set for me. Dont know if thats the case with cherries as I havent really grown many
Old June 16, 2007   #8
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

It gets pretty darn hot here in SC, and my cherries keep going ... and going ... and going. They even seem to even withstand the strange wilt diease my garden seems to get every year now. They are the only thing that does survive it and continue to produce.

If all my other plants die from the wilt this year, I may only grow cherries next year. It would be nice to have some slicers, but I'll take the cherries if they are the only thing I can get to survive the disease. They are certainly better than nothing.

Last edited by Fert1; June 16, 2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: addition
Fert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2007   #9
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

Cherries set fruit for me in all but the worst heat (100+). The trick has been getting the plants to survive spider mite attacks...you'll probably be dealing with fungal diseases further east. They are worth keeping around as long as the plants are healthy and vigorous.

Night temps definitely play a role in the fruitset of all varieties. I get good fruitset with highs in the mid 90's as long as the nights are below 70--that's pretty common in the Permian Basin. Last May was really odd--triple digit highs during the day, but it still cooled off to 70 or a little lower at night. Fruitset was poor during that period, but the plants didn't totally shut down. Even some of the larger varieties managed to produce a small crop.

Lately I've been wondering about the role humidity plays. My thought has always been that humidity was only an indirect cause of poor fruitset, being that high humidity usually leads to warm nights. The past month we've had near perfect temperatures, but oddly high humidity. Fruit set has been good, but not nearly as great as I would hope considering the consistently good temps. That's probably just me being greedy.

Jason
jdwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2007   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

stupice isnt a cherry but I have one growing now that was part of a germination test. Will be interesting to see if it will set any fruit with the high temps and humidity we have here in Corpus.
Old June 17, 2007   #11
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

My Husky Cherry Red set fruit for most of the summer last year. Production did slow down considerably but it didn't come to a complete halt until the plant just became too sickly.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2007   #12
Husbear
Tomatovillian™

Here in central Houston my Mexico Midget, SunGoldd, and grape maters are still setting some fruit with day time temps of mid 90s and lows of 72. Not as much as when the high temps were in the 80s though. Normally the heat stress and water stress on the plants are what "get" them in mid June. But not as of yet this year. It may be more like wishful thinking but ... I may have to chop them out in a couple of weeks to make way for the fall plants.
Husbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #13
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Stupice has set fruit and hasnt dropped a blossom yet. On the other hand, Gary O'Sena has done nothing but drop blossoms. While Stupice is not a cherry type, it appears to set well in heat. Still early though so we will see how it does with the upcoming inferno.