Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old August 12, 2012   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Opinions on Polythene Grow Tunnel for colder weather

Anyone have experience with the Polythene Grow Tunnel sold by Gardsman for about $20? Its a small, 18 inches high by 10 feet long season extender. I can understand the concept heating the soil for small seedlings in the springtime, but for extending the season for larger crops like broccoli or row crops like lettuce, would this be beneficial? How do you water in there? Does it let enough light in with the weaker fall sunlight? This would be my first fall garden experience, so I appreciate your input. Thanks, Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It looks kinda gimmicky to me.

Here is the stuff that Farmtek sells:
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...oductId=488570

It's more expensive, but not by much. I'm sure there are other companies that sell the same stuff. Or you could just copy the idea with your own wire and rope. My idea with the row cover is that it is put on at night and in bad weather, and taken off during the day. Sand bags hold it down. You could in theory leave it on all the time and water with drip irrigation, as long as it didn't get too hot inside.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Cool website. Items are a bit large for the backyard gardener, but you can tell they are going to work for their intended purpose. I can't imagine covering / uncovering 5 rows every day before work. Good reason to retire early!
Old August 13, 2012   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

18 inches isn't tall enough for mature plants in the fall, by a long shot. Even the airy fabric row cover doesn't work well on mature plants if you live in a windy area. The mature plants tear it up in nothing flat. BTDT Wasted a lot of money on wide row cover that shredded in nothing flat.

Here is a great vid on a high tunnel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkuR...ure=plpp_video

Tho I would make it a bit dif with only 3-4 ft spacing on the ribs and no need for the elaborate ground stakes unless you have really loose soil or high winds. Just drive some 3-4 ft rebar in.

Johnney's also has some good plans for homemade high tunnels.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I love high tunnels, and I want to try building a pvc one. But they said 60 mph wind tolerance for that one, and I got 80+ mph in just my first spring having my current structure, which has a steel frame and did just fine. I really think it would take nearly an F1 tornado strength wind to damage it. My neighbors just built a million dollar pole barn, and I think my little high tunnel might withstand more of a storm. If I built a big pvc high tunnel and a storm blew it away, my grandpa would never stop making fun of me.

A "low tunnel" would probably be smarter for me to start with if I build with pvc. It's just the same thing, but about three foot tall. The lower to the ground a structure is, the less wind it catches.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

On that KY high tunnel don't forget that they have 8 ft distances between ribs. With 3 or 4 ft ribs you should have better wind tolerance.

I'm going to try one this fall if I have the time and energy this fall.

Carol
Old August 13, 2012   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

My neighborhood would not permit a garden shed, let alone a high tunnel. Even if I moved to a more rural location, Omaha is the 4th windiest city in the US and I can see it going woosh. Thunderstorms with huge shelf clouds and straight line winds approaching 100mph blow through, think of Dorothy! Professional growers have heavy duty structures, but for my backyard I am thinking this lil' one might work. Will I have a better chance with the polythene rather than the fleece? I hadn't thought about it tearing off.
Old August 14, 2012   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Definitely Poly on some kind of hoops.

The fleece row cover is fine on spring small young plants. But on mature plants that may be stemy the fleece tears way too easily unless it's supported on hoops of some kind.

We used the wide row cover on mature pepper plants many years ago. We didn't have any unusual winds. Just normal puffy stuff. But the fabric tore to shreds in only about 2 weeks. And it beat up the plants to boot. We used the medium weight fabric too. Not the very light weight stuff. Cost us about $600, 20 years ago and didn't provide enough protection long enough to cover the cost.

The way some people use fleece successfully is as a second cover low tunnel inside a high tunnel for unheated late fall / winter growing. That way you don't have the wind tearing issues.

Carol
Old August 14, 2012   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting. I don't know if I will ever have that opportunity, but its fun to stash it in my "knowledge base". Thanks for the reply, Wi_Sunflowedr. I am sure it will help or inspire someone to try this.
Old August 18, 2012   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Menards is carrying this now. It's $9.99, $6.99 when on sale.