Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2018   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

A tomato forest!! They look great alright... very nice raised beds I must say.
Do you have any wildlife issues being in the woods?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #17
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharoth12 View Post
I am lucky that I don't have any diseased plants yet as leaf spot and early blight can be bad here.I think the reason for that is it has been very hot 90+ and we have had no rain for 3 plus weeks and i have removed every branch that can touch the ground

It is sure nice when it is dry AND you can water like that. Not so nice when it is dry and you have to carry water a hundred yards in buckets! The beds look great!

Also, same question as Bower, no deer problems? A buddy of mine has a house in the woods, lots of deer and squirrels, but he says they don't bother his little garden patch right against the house. He has a Springer marking everything and I'm sure that helps some in keeping them down the hill. On the other hand, a lot of people around here have so many backyard in-town deer problems, some can't keep a tomato plant from being eaten off in June.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #18
carcharoth12
Tomatovillian™

There is actually lots of deer around here but they dont seem to bother my tomato plants.I think it is partly because i live in an area without many people (I have 3 neighbors within walking distance and then it is probably 2 miles to the next small cluster of homes) and lots of dense woods and forage including a few cash crop fields of soy and wheat which the deer love.Chipmunks for me are the bigger problem they are everywhere (literally hundreds of them ) they dug out my small corn patch when they first sprouted and ate all my strawberries so I am going to have to deal with them before they start eating my soon to be ripening tomatoes.
carcharoth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #19
imp
Tomatovillian™

Love those beds, and your watering system.