Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 13, 2019   #31
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I've grown at least one Momotaro plant every year since 2006 as my only hybrid along with with a continuing assortment of OP's.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #32
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

With all that growing, can you say what kinds of diseases Momotaro is good at resisting, and also ones that are difficult problems, in your area.

I agree. Momotaro is an excellent tomato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
I've grown at least one Momotaro plant every year since 2006 as my only hybrid along with with a continuing assortment of OP's.

Dan
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #33
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
With all that growing, can you say what kinds of diseases Momotaro is good at resisting, and also ones that are difficult problems, in your area.

I agree. Momotaro is an excellent tomato.
Just goes to show U have excellent taste Fred LOL

And yes since I've been growing tomatoes in the same general piece of ground for 29 yrs I've struggled with the usual foliage diseases like early & late blight as well as bacterial speck & spot and in the last couple of years, bacterial canker. Also septoria fungus and occasional leaf mold. I start my spray program with Daconil alternating with copper before the plants go into the ground, which is at the end of May and continue through the end of August. Momotaro seems to do a tad better at resisting most of these compared to my general selection of OP's, and most years Momotaro has produced well for me allowing me to still be picking fruit into October. I think it has verticillium & fusarium wilt resistance bred into it. That being said starting in 2018 I've stopped growing tomatoes in the ground and have gone to grow bags due to the presence of bacterial canker. I will not use this ground for 3-4 yrs before I start to use it again.
My goal has always been to find tomato varieties that taste superb, have good productivity, and moderate disease resistance in that order. Momotaro is one that for me meets this criteria. Of course there are OP's also that are in this category.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #34
Jason S
Tomatovillian™

Lizzano from Territorial Seed.

Earlier than Sweet 100 and Sungold. Sweeter and also tart if that makes sense. But. The semi-determinate plants outproduced either for last year. Our favorite. Honestly the best cherry I have ever ate let alone grown.

Now downside. I planted all 10 seeds. Only two germinated last year. I had way better germination on everything else (peppers and egg plant included). SYMMV
Jason S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019   #35
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Momotaro goes down to septoria, late blight, early blight, bacterial spot/speck, southern rot, and a few others here in Alabama. It is still a good reliable producer of very good flavored tomatoes.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019   #36
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

I still like Big Beef as our staple market slicer. Sells well and tastes pretty good to me. By far one of my favorites. But my favorite OP would probably be Black Cherry. We really eat a lot of them.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019   #37
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I am planing to grow Monotaro this spring. From what I read here, I probably should have startied growing it years ago.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2019   #38
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Momotaro & Sungold are the only hybrids that make the cut every year in my garden. I try at least 1 other hybrid yearly also but Momotaro just outshines them all in terms of overall taste, productivity, and disease resistance here. The rest of the plants are OP and I try to grow at least a dozen varieties. Can't wait to start seeds in a week or 2!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2019   #39
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Fav Hybrid

I grow in ground and like Big Beef and Orange Slice. Estlers Mortgage Lifter and Hillbilly.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2019   #40
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't get Momotaro to germinate for my Fall crop. I hope to try another Pink, Caiman F1, a try for the Spring.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote