Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 27, 2006   #1
SirZoltan
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandy boy grown indoors - is this leaf mold?

Hello folks,

I'd really appreciate some help here. I grew a couple of brandy boy from seed [started rather late - but found out about the BB seed rather late too ].

Anyhow, they are all hardened off and I'm about ready to plant them outside. However, I have noticed some yellow spots progressing to brown spots etc on the leaves. The best a friend and I can come up with using the tomato problem solver is leaf mold. However, the leaves have NEVER been wet to the best of my knowledge. Is this still possible?

I need to know what this is so I can treat it [if needed] and not end up killing off my brandy boy after all its hard work of getting this far.

If further pics would help clear this up, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for your help,
Chad

BB pic 1

BB pic 2

BB pic 3

BB pic 4
SirZoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Brandy boy grown indoors - is this leaf mold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirZoltan
The best a friend and I can come up with using the tomato problem solver is leaf mold. However, the leaves have NEVER been wet to the best of my knowledge. Is this still possible?
Yes, it is possible. Especially if the humidity is on the high side. But then, you're in dry NM, so that kind of makes me wonder. Do you run a humidifier inside?

The best I can tell from your pics is that it *might* be leaf mold based on seeing yellowing/yellow spots on the tops of leaves and then what looks to be mold patches on the undersides (hard to see detail from picture size). If so, then you'd want to remove affected foliage and consider using a fungicide like Daconil/Ortho Garden Disease Control to discourage further spread.

It might not be a bad idea to post a bigger/clearer picture that shows a closeup of the spots you're talking about.

And, I just noticed that the picture was taken inside. How long did you harden them off for (by taking them outside)?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #3
SirZoltan
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks - more info...

Hardening off...
1 hr shade, 2 hrs shade, all day shade, 1 hr sun, 2 hrs sun, 4 hrs sun, all day sun [each of those is PER day]
or something pretty close to - I may have missed a day outdoors here or there due to extreme wind and me not wanting to risk the plant outside.

The discoloring of the leaves started happening indoors before I started hardening off.

Bigger pics:

BB pic 1 bigger

BB pic 2 bigger and diff crop

BB Pic 4 bigger with diff crop

I hope that helps, if not let me know precisely what pics you were looking for and I'll take them. I need to know if I need to start spraying this with Daconil or just let it be. It seems to be healthy enough but I don't wanna kill it off from lack of action. Most of the lower bigger leaves are affected by whatever this is. Only the newest leaves at or near the top of the plant don't seem to show any discoloration.

Thanks again,
Chad
SirZoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Thanks - more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirZoltan
Hardening off...
1 hr shade, 2 hrs shade, all day shade, 1 hr sun, 2 hrs sun, 4 hrs sun, all day sun [each of those is PER day]
or something pretty close to - I may have missed a day outdoors here or there due to extreme wind and me not wanting to risk the plant outside.

The discoloring of the leaves started happening indoors before I started hardening off.
Thanks for the further information and the pics. I doubt it is leaf mold, especially now that I can see some slightly crispy leaf margins. Just sounds and looks like some wind/sun damage from perhaps hardening them off a little too fast. That's also why the newer leaves tend to look better -- they didn't have to go though the acclimation that the older ones did.

I think you perhaps increased the sun increments a little too rapidly -- if I did that here this time of year with temps in the 90's, it would definitely burn seedlings. In the future, try shade on day one, then 30 min sun second day, and double thereafter. The remainder of the day, have them out in the shade to bright shade, and even lightly dappled sun after the third or fourth day. Harden off for at least seven days (maybe even ten this time of year) before you plant out.

Redux: they'll be fine. Might want to give them a couple more days of hardening off before planting out, then just strip lower leaves and plant deep.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote