Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 2, 2016   #16
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

One another thread, I asked about the hummingbirds getting up into my tomato blossoms and wondered if anybody knew why.

It was suggested to me that the hummers were in the blossoms getting thrips even though I hadn't seen any but probably figured they was around.

One of my hummer feeds is right next to all my tomato plants in a shady spot. The hummers even hang out on my tomato ties.

If you google " Do hummingbirds eat thrips" you will get all kinds of info to include the post that they especially feed their young thrips and other small insects.

So for those with thrips problem, you might put some hummer feeders up and next to tomato plants I also have some Salvia plants and few other flowering plants that hummers feed from. Even if you only get one or two hummers to your yard, they eat a huge amount of bugs and sketters and other protein insects.

Just something to think about. Might help some of you TSWV folks.

Last edited by Starlight; June 2, 2016 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

kchd..,

I'm learning about TSWV. I found this site http://tomatodiseasehelp.com/spotted-wilt-virus

As I wrote above, there are TSWV resistant varieties out there https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mato+varieties I want to try Bella Rosa and Top Gun myself.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm still not sure what you are dealing with is TSWV because it can show multiple symptoms which can be similar to other diseases. Spray the plant with the diluted bleach spray and in a few days check and see if the diseased areas are shriveling up and dying. If they are then it isn't TSWV. The bleach spray has little or no affect on TSWV infected plants. I only pull up plants that I think have TSWV if they are small and have very small fruit fruit which probably will not develop before the disease kills them. On large healthy plants that have large heavy fruit set and fruit near the early ripening stage I allow the larger fruit to start blushing and if the smaller ones continue to grow I leave the plant alone. I have left many plants infected with TSWV in among my other plants with no transmission to the adjacent plants. I have left some for months with no problems even though I know that isn't the best practice. No matter what you do if the plant is really infected with TSWV the whole thing will usually get really sick and stop growing soon after the symptoms show up and it will just totally wilt and die. Keep an eye on the new growth for signs of it looking sick because once that happens the plant doesn't usually last very long. Good luck.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote