Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 24, 2011   #1
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone recognise this?

I try new pepper varieties I'm interested every year, sometimes seeds are crossed or just the wrong thing. If they're obviously wrong I usually pull up the plants at the first sign and count it as a loss.

This year I had one that was just a weird plant. It was supposed to be a new chinense Caribbean seasoning variety, from a grower who said they had grown it out for the past several years after collecting the peppers on a trip to Trinidad. The other two plants look exactly what she said they would be, as are their peppers. The unusual plant stayed short and bushy, flowered 2 months after anything else I grew and has yet to ripen a fruit.

It flowers in clusters of 6 or more, and the flowers appear to contain a small fruit with a distended pistil. The petals fall away and the fruit swells to about marble sized, but have none have turned color yet.

I contacted the source and sent pictures, they said they didn't grow anything like it last year and don't have anything like it growing this year. If it's a cross, it's a weird one, or it's some stray seed from their collection that they just don't recognize. I have bagged peppers, so if it tastes like anything interesting or useful I'll see if the seeds come true next year.

Flowers:

Fruit:

Anyone seen anything like it before?

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; September 24, 2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Changed flower picture to closeup view.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2011   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Pretty cool looking pepper, if it tastes good I would love some seeds if you want to give any away. Seems like it would be good for frying or pickling if it isnt something insanely hot.
Old September 24, 2011   #3
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadlouie View Post
Pretty cool looking pepper, if it tastes good I would love some seeds if you want to give any away. Seems like it would be good for frying or pickling if it isnt something insanely hot.
Yes, it will be fun trying it the first time not knowing what it is. It does look like one that would be nice pickled.

I have a whole cluster that was bagged, as long as there are more than a few good seeds in them I'll be happy to share some. If it is a cross you could get anything in the F2 though...
Old September 25, 2011   #4
maxfromaustralia
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations. They are so cool. Opps hot. Cheers Max
maxfromaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2011   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

being a c. chinense i assume it is a hot pepper? iirc there are a few c. chinenese that are not hot but they are the exception.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2011   #6
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
being a c. chinense i assume it is a hot pepper? iirc there are a few c. chinenese that are not hot but they are the exception.

tom
I haven't tried it yet, as I'm waiting for them to be ripe. It was supposed to be a mild chinense, another form of Trinidad seasoning pepper. I've been collecting those varieties for the past several years for some planned mild sauces that still have full chinense flavor but little or no heat.

If it's a cross there is no telling what it is, the person I got it from grows hundreds of varieties every year. It's also possible it's some frutescens variety who's seed jumped ship. Once I've got a ripe fruit to dissect I can see if it might be frutescens, and I can taste it to see if it's interesting.

Old September 25, 2011   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

mark do you know about 'the hot pepper'? there's a lot of people there who are really into peppers. i joined a couple of weeks ago. maybe you could get an id if you posted a picture there... they LOVE pictures!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011   #8
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
mark do you know about 'the hot pepper'? there's a lot of people there who are really into peppers. i joined a couple of weeks ago. maybe you could get an id if you posted a picture there... they LOVE pictures!

tom
Yes, I used to frequent there once upon a time, then life changed and I didn't spend much time online. I just recently started posting again. I'll have to see if I can recall what my login information was or set up a new account there.
Old November 18, 2011   #9
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

How did these peppers ripen up?!
Old November 18, 2011   #10
freelancer79d
Tomatovillian™

were they red after ripening? I saw some that looked very much like these last night at my farmers market.
Old November 18, 2011   #11
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

what cute little peppers! I don't have a lot of pepper experience so I won't comment on what it might be, but it's kinda neat that you have a runaway to play with