Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 4, 2015   #1
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Default Freezing raspberries

Any tips on freezing raspberries? Dry freezing is easiest, and easiest to get out desired amount to use, but I've seen some say that they seemed to become more tart when frozen that way. Could sweeten them, but then there's that sugar in them when it may not be wanted. Haven't frozen berries for years and am not up on the tips to get best performance, and don't want these autumn berries to be lost if I can help it.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #2
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I've had best results by freezing on a cookie sheet, as individually as I can get them. Then I vacuum seal, which lasts longer in quality than freezer loc type bags. Adding sugar does increase the quality but I don't usually add it.
Old October 4, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just my opinion but unless you are making juice adding sugar to berries does nothing for me.
If the berry isn't sweet it isn't sweet and is made sweet by soil and growing conditions.
As far as freezing either the open layer method and vacuum like Barb said or put in bags.

I always blanch berries an fruit before I freeze them.
Just a quick dip in scalding hot water is enough.

Dip and cool in ice water as fast as you can for the best results.
Regardless nothing is going to take the place of a fresh berry and the best I have seen were what they call flash freezing where they freeze them at extremely low temperatures.

The longer it takes something to freeze the more and larger the ice crystals will be.

I dont have a flash freezer but I do have a freezer that will get well below zero.
Everything I freeze it set out on shelves and allowed to freeze then it is put in bags.
I then use a homemade vacuum contraption to suck the air out.
Works pretty good.
Another option would be to can them with hot water bath in jars for later use.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #4
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Vacuum sealers tend to be so expensive. You do get the cheapies of course but we've been through three of them and they're honestly not worth it.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #5
coronabarb

Worth, adding sugar can keep the color and flavor more intact. Not just for sweetness.

I have a Foodsaver sealer and I love it. One of the more expensive ones I got on sale, with a coupon and another coupon, so got a good deal on it. It works very well and I can attest to the effectiveness. My son went ocean fishing years ago for tuna. One of those sealed packages was lost in the freezer and found 3 yrs later. The fish was almost as good as fresh. I couldn't taste any difference. Oxygen in a freezer package is a food killer.
Old October 4, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Worth, adding sugar can keep the color and flavor more intact. Not just for sweetness.

I have a Foodsaver sealer and I love it. One of the more expensive ones I got on sale, with a coupon and another coupon, so got a good deal on it. It works very well and I can attest to the effectiveness. My son went ocean fishing years ago for tuna. One of those sealed packages was lost in the freezer and found 3 yrs later. The fish was almost as good as fresh. I couldn't taste any difference. Oxygen in a freezer package is a food killer.
Barb I was thinking about eating them fresh and them being so sour you cant eat them.
That is how bad they are on the wet coast.

My Vacuum sealer is a football air needle and the vacuum port on a carburetor.
Did a 5 year test and they came out great.

I wonder what a tank of nitrogen gas would cost?

Worth
Old October 4, 2015   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we freeze them on a cookie sheet overnight, then bag them up in freezer bags once they have hardened. easier to handle, they don't get smushed.
no added sugar.

we add them to smoothies, oats, whatever needs raspberries added to it.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #8
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the suggestions. Freezing as fast as possible on a tray, preferably not touching, is my preference and sounds as if it's that of most.

I was startled about Worth's blanching suggestion. I do blanch most things, but I thought it was important to have raspberries dry when putting them in to freeze?

Is the purpose of the quick raspberry blanch to preserve quality or to be sure the berries aren't inhabited?
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Freezing as fast as possible on a tray, preferably not touching, is my preference and sounds as if it's that of most.

I was startled about Worth's blanching suggestion. I do blanch most things, but I thought it was important to have raspberries dry when putting them in to freeze?

Is the purpose of the quick raspberry blanch to preserve quality or to be sure the berries aren't inhabited?

Kills enzymes that cause degradation of the fruit.
Worth
Old October 5, 2015   #10
coronabarb

You don't need to blanch berries before freezing.
Old October 5, 2015   #11
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Yep, just freezing them on a sheet will do. Attempt to pick them up clean. Raspberries are no no for washing. Blanching will get you mushy produce.
I get mine at organic u pick place and owners insist that we bring a cooler and pack our harvest right into it, it keeps better this way.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015   #12
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post

Ironically the three I am referring to that have broken have all been foodsaver ones as well..! Go figure. They normally broke by losing the ability to keep a seal when sucking (so they would keep on sucking and never reach the poi T where the machine stops) and the last one stopped sealing after all the air was out of the bags.

Now I am wondering if they have improved at all over the last 10 years or so.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015   #13
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I have grown raspberries for many years, and yes they do become more tart compared to fresh. I have no idea why? The yellow raspberries are in general sweeter than the reds, and are sweeter once frozen.
I also never had a problem with them sticking very much, but they can get flattened, so freezing on a tray first is a good idea.

drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2015   #14
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

That looks quite delish! May I ask which varieties you would recommend for Chicago area? Would prefer both summer and fall ones.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote