Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 10, 2012   #31
MissHailey
Tomatovillian™

Very nice pictures of your maters!
MissHailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #32
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Well I sprayed the tomatoes with epsom salts this morning. Next weekend, I will spray them with Earth Juice's micronutrient solution. I think by the weekend, I should be able to see whether the epsom salts worked on the new leaves, right?
I would think you'd know by the weekend if you are looking at the new growth since you sprayed.
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012   #33
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Looks great!
Anybody have a good write up on Epsom salts and foliage micronutrient spray application? Newbie here thats never tried either. Thanks
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #34
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Cucumber plants finally started producing. Both plants disappointed me in terms of yield. Lately I see more butterflies and bees, and after they appeared I had the chance to pick several cucumbers so I think the low-yield was related to lack of pollination. Solly Beiler fruits have a mild taste and I think it is the perfect cucumber for pickling. Green finger overall has so so taste with very slight bitterness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green Finger.jpg (237.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Solly Beiler.jpg (234.2 KB, 44 views)
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #35
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Update for the garden:
- I am amazed how Nineveh is productive. Unfortunately TSWV hit the plant and I am not sure if any of the fruits will make it for harvest .
- Abu Rawan is also fairly productive however it had some blossoms dropped while almost all flowers of Nineveh turned to fruits. I think Iraqi varieties like Florida heat.
- I am very happy with the yield of Mountain Princess, too. Hopefully both Abu Rawan and Mountain Princess won't get hit by TSWV. I treated the whole garden with AzaMax.
- Hickory King corn took away however no sign of tassels, yet.
- Ground cherry is doing very good.
- I am enjoying the beauty of the Turkish casaba type melon Kirkagac 637 that probably is grown for the first time in U.S. It has many fruits.
- I am extremely happy with my compost tea brewer that I purchased from X-treme gardening webpage. Even though it was a little bit more expensive than putting the separate parts together, it was worth the money spent because I didn't put any effort into looking for the parts. I use the brewer every 2-3 weeks to brew tea out of compost I have made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nineveh.jpg (250.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Abu Rawan.jpg (301.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Mountain Princess.jpg (243.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Hickory King1.jpg (183.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Hickory King2.jpg (211.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Kirkagac 637.jpg (253.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Compost tea brewer.jpg (96.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Compost tea foam.jpg (173.4 KB, 48 views)
Old April 28, 2012   #36
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Cucumber plants finally started producing. Both plants disappointed me in terms of yield. Lately I see more butterflies and bees, and after they appeared I had the chance to pick several cucumbers so I think the low-yield was related to lack of pollination. Solly Beiler fruits have a mild taste and I think it is the perfect cucumber for pickling. Green finger overall has so so taste with very slight bitterness.
Considering the challenging climate, you are getting tremendous results.

As for the cuke pollination, I get impatient. Early in the morning I'll go out in the garden, pick off some male blossoms, play some Barry White on my iPod, and see if I can make the magic happen (if any female blossoms are open yet).

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #37
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

feldon, thanks much. I am fighting hard with TSWV these days and learning my lessons on the way. Despite the frustrations, I really love gardening and the idea of producing my own food
Old May 2, 2012   #38
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I found some information regarding the melon, Kirkagac 637, I am currently growing: http://www.dimtra.com/food/637/
Old May 3, 2012   #39
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I found some information regarding the melon, Kirkagac 637, I am currently growing: http://www.dimtra.com/food/637/
That is quite an unusual melon!

Have you got any idea what the flesh is supposed to look like?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012   #40
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

P Robeson is my favorite now, i dont get much fruit from the plant but O MY!! just a little different than my other blacks. BTW its by far the most beautiful fruit when its ripe
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012   #41
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Feldon, if I remember correctly, the flesh must be white/creamy color along the seed cavity and light green through the shell. There are different Casaba-type melon seeds offered but probably this one wasn't grown/offered in U.S. before. Possibly, USDA could have it in its collection.

FILMNET, Paul Robeson was really delicious except a few fruits after the first couple were mushy. But probably I should have picked them earlier and maybe given more water. Then the fruits recovered to that deliciousness. It was very productive for me and I was very happy with fruit sizes, too.
Old May 6, 2012   #42
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

More pics of the garden:
Corn is now 12 ft and started tasseling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hickory King.jpg (199.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Ground Cherry.jpg (238.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Peppercini.jpg (213.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Mountain Princess.jpg (297.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Rutgers.jpg (233.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Abu Rawan.jpg (303.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Diamond.jpg (193.3 KB, 46 views)
Old May 6, 2012   #43
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Paul R, is truly wondeful one of me Fav,
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #44
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I am really impressed with the disease resistance of Rutgers. I am not sure if technically a vegetable can resist viral diseases (or is the resistance only good for fungal diseases?) but I knock on the wood, so far no sign of diseases (neither viral nor fungal) and the plant currently has 6 fruits. Similarly, I haven't had any disease issues with Abu Rawan, too.

My ground cherry plant is now a monster with a ton of fruits that I will use to make jam. I have found out that the tomatoes and ground cherry are doing significantly better in pots than they do in the raised beds. For the next growing cycle, I will mostly try determinate varieties so I am in the phase of looking for good-testing determinates.

I have found out that growing melon excites me as equally as growing tomatoes. After trying lots of manual pollination attempts, hopefully I have some fruits coming up on Charentais melon.

Hickory King is getting closer to harvest. Probably I will pick some corn in two weeks. I am impressed with the vigor of my hybrid zucchinis, Dunja and Zephyr.

I also have found out that Luffa Gourd has beautiful leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brassicas.jpg (265.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Melon patch.jpg (320.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Charentais.jpg (188.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Dunja and Zephyr.jpg (311.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Ground Cherry.jpg (188.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Hickory King.jpg (191.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Luffa Gourd.jpg (309.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Peppercini.jpg (223.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Rutgers.jpg (284.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Solly Bieler.jpg (181.2 KB, 38 views)
Old May 13, 2012   #45
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

Chance, looking great. Congrats.

How big are the pots you are using for the tomatoes and ground cherry (and anything else)?
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote