Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 14, 2014   #166
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For those of you who have been here for several years you might remember that when I found out that ADam was bringing back his father's seed listings, that i put up a thread in the WaNTED subforum and asked for folks to send seeds to him since he had very few listings.

We did it a second time.

In the early 80's
there were just two commercial places where one could buy heirloom and other OP varieties, one was SeedsBlum,she went under, and Gleckler's where I bought lots of seed for tomatoes and many other crops.So did craig,nctomatoman althoughwe didn't know each other at that time but did after 1989 via SSE.

Adam used to call me on his cell phone as he wandered through his tomato fields.

A couple of years ago i sent him many new varieties for trial,athis request,but I saw none of them being offered the next year.

I e=mailed Ellie several times about what was going on and never got a response.

Then someone I know who had subcontracted to Adam for seeds, and I can't be specific here,said it looked like he was giving up the business.

The familybusiness is concrete,and Adam had loyalties to both the familyconcrete business and his own family and also his seed business.

I'm not surprised that the website is gone,perhaps just too much pressure on him as I indicated above.

i wish Ellie and Adam and their own family a bright future,whatever it might turn out to be.

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2014   #167
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn knows them, maybe she can find out whats going on
Old July 15, 2014   #168
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgrow View Post
Carolyn knows them, maybe she can find out whats going on
Paul, in the post above yours I explained what I knew and my efforts to reach Ellie and Adam did not work out.

Carolyn
Old July 22, 2014   #169
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I received an e-mail from Ellie, Adam's wife, last night and apparently she didn't receive the e-mails I sent and had checked her spam folder as well.

I will cut and paste only the paragraph that is really important to all of you who have bought seeds from them in the past but will now just briefly explain the situation in my own words.

Adam has left the family concrete business and now has an excavating business and is working 15-16 hrs a day since almost all such work is done in the Spring and Summer, which leaves no time for the tomatoes and other crops and Ellie can't do that by herself.

She said it was a very difficult decision to close down online sales, but they have a family to support and online sales just didn't help that much with money to support the family, thus the change to the excavating business.

The following is the cut and paste I referred to b'c it's primarily directed at all of you who have bought seeds from Gleckler's in the past.

(We appreciate all of our customers and all of the help and calls YOU have given in the past couple years. It will always be a love of the Gleckler's to have a garden and seed occasionally. We just hope someday when the kids are grown that we can allot some time out to grow again. Adam and I wish you and everyone else that we had the pleasure of meeting or selling to along the way- THE VERY BEST!!!)

I know Ellie reads here, at least I know she read where I said I'd tried to reach her, so if any of you want to offer thanks and support to Adam and Ellie and wish them well, please do so here.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old July 22, 2014   #170
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

I know Ellie reads here, at least I know she read where I said I'd tried to reach her, so if any of you want to offer thanks and support to Adam and Ellie and wish them well, please do so here.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Good luck in your new venture Ellie

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #171
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

We'll miss you but we understand. Thanks!
Old July 22, 2014   #172
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I really enjoyed working with you folks, I mean buying your wonderful seeds. Good luck to you.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #173
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

Really sorry to hear that, BUT a family comes first. I wish them the best and I really enjoyed doing business with them.
Old July 23, 2014   #174
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I also wish you all the best. I ordered seeds in May for next year and received them right away so I'm sad to hear you've had to close down, but family comes first. Best of luck and I'll be looking forward to growing out my KBX next year!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #175
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm sad to see Gleckler close. I have enjoyed ordering from them.

Shouldn't they have a lot of seeds in inventory? Are they going to sell them? I would probably buy out their stock of Anna Maria's Heart if I had the chance. I only saved one tomato worth of seeds and had counted on buying the rest from Gleckler.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #176
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm sad to see Gleckler close. I have enjoyed ordering from them.

Shouldn't they have a lot of seeds in inventory? Are they going to sell them? I would probably buy out their stock of Anna Maria's Heart if I had the chance. I only saved one tomato worth of seeds and had counted on buying the rest from Gleckler.
I have to get back to Ellie about a couple of issues and will ask her about inventory, but from what she said, that I posted above, I doubt any selling will occur, perhaps storing them might.

I was the original source of this variety and sent it to many places for trial and also offered it here in my seed offers:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...b=General_Info

If you look at seed sources you'll see that Mike Dunton at Victory Seeds offers it and you can add Sandhill Preservation as well, for 2014/ I don't think Linda got the Sandhill listings to Tania, but when looking for a seed source for a variety I think it might be a good idea to check Sandhill.

My seeds are pretty old right now, but there are a couple of places that do offer it currently and I see one of the pictures is from a Tville member and I would expect that there are other Tville members who also have it as well if you were to ask in the Wanted seed Forum.

Carolyn
Old July 26, 2014   #177
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

thanks Carolyn
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014   #178
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Noooo! I never got a chance to order from them Blast my tiny seed budget. Each year I kept thinking: Next year, next year. Now they are gone. Figures; that's how my luck goes. And their site is not on the way back machine, so I have to rely on my brain to remember what varieties I kept renewing in the shopping cart.

Mr. Bruno, where art thou?
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014   #179
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

A great family business, sorry to see them go, ope they make it back someday.
Old November 29, 2014   #180
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Same here, Paul. Natty, there are a lot of other T'Ville members who also
have great sites (I don't remember seeing Mr. Bruno, though).

Check out sampleseeds.com
heritagetomatoseed.com
ohioheirloomseeds.com
tatianastomatobase.com we all need to support this site, great data base
secretseedcartel.com
twoseedsinapod.com

also, Victory Seeds and Tomato Growers Supply (maybe not members here but
are friends of Carolyn and have many of her great finds).

Carol Knapp used to be one of the best too, but currently is not offering seeds.
I know I probably left out several others.

Anyway, check some of these out-maybe you'll have another long list of
favorites!! And also, ask in the "wanted" section---many generous people here.

Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote