Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 23, 2009   #31
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Not to beat the dead horse, I think it is important to have correct leaf type for each variety - having both RL and PL for the same variety either shows that it is unstable, or some seed mixup happened when seeds were changing hands (which is probably much more common than most of us think)

Travis, I cannot disagree with you about professional English - and I thought this is why we were invited to help Adam. Having been there myself doing all the seed saving, germination testing, writeups, website updates - this is a lot of work for one person to handle

Cheers,
Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; December 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2009   #32
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
Ted My garden notes for the cp show that they were all the same pl about 14 plants

The japan tomato tree I show they were all pl about 16 plants

Thanks to everyone for all the help I'll be working on correcting this stuff for the next couple of days.
Ami the seeds you send for Cherokee Purple weren't they actually Spudakee seeds that originated from Spudleaf Willie? If so then my thought would be that the Spudakee name stay with these seeds and the reference to it being a PL version of Cherokee Purple be in the description.

Just a thought as I know there are other places that have Cherokee Purple PL that sounded like they originated from other sources
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2009   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Adam, I was only able to get thru the reds this afternoon and I'll come back later and post what I recorded about errors in spelling, grammar, descriptions, etc.

But I wanted to make a few general observations.

Perhaps a general announcement section at the top of all the tomato varieties might be considered.

For some varieties the seed count is given in the main listing, for others only after you hit the details button and for some varieties there appears to be a drop down box with seed count above it but for others none. I forgot to look at that drop down box to see if you were selling bulk amounts for anything.

I think each variety listed should have the same sequence of information, as in plant habit, season ( early, etc), leaf form, fruit size and shape and then any taste comments you want to share and other comments. I found that not all varieties followed that same pattern and one variety had none of that information.

I don't know as everyone will hit the details button when the main description ends with a complete sentence. To tell you the truth I didn't know that some of the descriptions rolled over via the details button until I was half way thru the reds, and then had to go back to the beginning.

On some of the details pages the shopping cart button is shown, on others it isn't.

And if folks don't hit the details button they won't know there's a place there for them to review the variety after growing it.

So all in all I was wondering if it would be worth a small introduction section where you could state the seed count for all varieties and note that any exceptions would be noted with the variety.

And maybe say that all varieties are regular leaf except where noted, where you could then say potato leaf, angora, etc.

And maybe define what you mean by early, mid-season and late, in terms of a range of days. I do like using general terms instead of specific DTM's which are guesstimates anyway. But I think giving a range of days would be helpful to many who view the website.

So just some suggestions.

I have some other obligations today so probably won't find the time to post about the Red section, and my notes are several pages long so I have to find a time period when I can do that, hopefully tomorrow AM.

And onward we go.
Old December 24, 2009   #34
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Gobig. That was already done with Bill Malin's (Spudleafwillie) blessing. Adam will be making corrections and use the Spudakee Purple name. Ami
Old December 24, 2009   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I can't believe it. I was just a few varieties from completing this post when my AOL software kicked me off. There was no indication it was my DSL line but I've switched back to dial in with the hopes that I can get this post completed and posted now. I've been having problems with the AOL software in the last couple of weeks. Sigh.

I forgot to mention in my above psot that all new sentences should start with a capital letter or a word that's capitalized, so it should be, Snow is falling, not snow is falling, or A variety is great, not a variety is great.

Reds: ( fingers crossed)

670; with stands is one word, withstands, it should be sunburn, not sunburns, scarlet has one l, not scarlett

Aurora:, Siberia, not siberia

Danko;, is regualr leaf, not potato leaf

Egg:, I wouldn't put low acid unless you have pH results, since almost all varieties tested for pH have the same amount of acid.

Gallo Plum;, should be mid-season, should be Craig LeHoullier

Gianinni; is a large plum, not a paste variety, too juicy

Guido; beefsteak is correct

Indiana Red: mid-season

Kimberly: it was first listed in the SSE YEarbook as Kimberly but I'm told that it's spelled as Kimberley by some folks who live there.

Ludmilla's Red Plum; where it says Germany whom, it should be who, and received is the correct spelling

Lutescent; I had problems with this one and yes I've grown it. You say that the yellow foliage travels up the plant as the fruits ripen, I've never seen that and I think it's better to say that fruits ripen up in sequence. How about this:

Lutescent: indeterminate, mid-season, regular foliage which is yellowish/green, round fruits in the 4-6 oz range and fruits ripen up in a sequence from green to white to yellow to orange to red such that fruits of all colors are on the plant at the same time. ( if you want to say that Lutescent is probably the Livingston variety called Honor Bright, which has been called extinct with that name, you can).

Magyar Piros; excellent is the correct spelling, original is the correct spelling, friend is the correct spelling, where it says of Germany it should be who, not whom, where it says in 2008 it should be who, not whom.

Magyar Piroski; original is the correct spelling, where it says friend who's it should be friend whose

Maiden's Kiss; yields is the correct spelling

Moravsky Div; I don't understand 11/-2. If you meant to say 1-2 oz, that's OK, mine were a bit larger than that, and my fruits were kind of blocky, not round.

Peron Sprayless; I wouldn't say do not use sprays, rather, I might say...you may not have to spray the foliage of this variety......

Prue; wispy, not whispy, foliage, not foilage, Earliest, not Earlyest, and Mr Prue was from MA, not MD.

Red Barn; use beefsteaks, the plural

Red Penna, may be OK, I forgot to note something

Russian Bogatyr; I've grown it and I wouldn't say it was oblong, which makes it sound like a long sausage shape, rather, you might consider saying sometimes variable shapes ranging from beefsteaks to elongated globes, definitely is the correct spelling

Russian Red: I'm not sure folks will ID with tree type, originally is the correct spelling, and it should be one sentence as in 2" fruits that taste exceptional

San Pablo; there's no info at all about plant habit, leaf form, etc., should be Peron, not peron

Sausage; need to go back, can't read my notes.

Shannon's: excellent is the correct spelling

Siberian:, foliage is the correct spelling, originally is the correct spelling

Stick; truly is the correct spelling, maybe say a single main stem with no side branches, texas should be Texas, should be details, should be resurrected. should be original, should be LeHoullier

Thessaloniki; mid-season

Ultimate Giant; should be fair amounts of 2-3 pound, should be beefsteak

Variegated; should be as I wrote to the left, not as you have it, should be mid-season, should be ornamental

Adam, if you or Ellie have any questions about what I wrote above please just ask. I'll look at the pinks next.
Old December 24, 2009   #36
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I just want to take a moment here to thank all of our members for being so kind and helpful, as well as offering positive suggestions regarding Gleckler's new web site and re-established seed business.

These days I rarely visit GW, but I did so this afternoon. I was appalled to see someone negatively criticize Gleckler's site and pass harsh judgment on them, based solely on spelling and some minor errors.

The individual that did this has a long reputation for being a flaming a**hole on forums and was banned from here, not long after we were up and running. No regrets banning you, no sirree...John Beidler.

Having so many friendly, polite folks here makes operating Tomatoville a genuine pleasure. It also confirms my belief that good people far outnumber the bad ones in this world.

Again, thank you all...and Happy Holidays!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2009   #37
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I just wanted to add that Adam called me this AM to talk about this and that and also said he is adding Heidi and Indian Stripe and possibly some others. He's doing seed counts to see where he stands.

it's very difficult trying to predict seeds needed when one has so many new varieties. he also said that some varieties would probably be available in bulk amounts.

And he really is very very grateful to all of those who have posted about various varieties with suggested corrections and more.

When I get through with my reviewing the various color classes and it looks like most of the comments have been made I probably will discuss here or in the Seed Forum some of what we talked about for the future.
Old December 26, 2009   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Pinks

Anna Maria's Heart, variety is correct sp

Dutchman, old variety, not strain, fruit is correct sp, Giant Belgium ( capitalize varieties), non-acid ( remove)? Adam you have non-acid for several varieties but unless you have proof a variety is non-acid I don't think it's wise to put that in there without pH values to prove it. To most folks it means a mild taste, but there are those who are allergic to the acids in tomatoes and so I just don't think you should use that term, IMO.

Ed's_________, beefsteak is correct sp

German Head, would be an ( not a), capitalize Giant Belgium, non-acid again,....and the whole business about Giant Belgium being used for wine probably came from one person and has been repeated and repeated over again thru the years. I don't see any need to repeat it again, ahem, and it wouldn't be b'c of the sweetness b'c there are many varieties that are sweet, and non-acid, nope, that's not a reason either since one generates acids when fermenting wine.

Goose Creek, definitely

Hanky Pink, beefsteak, yielder

Lincoln-Adams, yielder,plants ( not PLants), yields, Lincoln in last line

Ludmilla's Pink Heart, Germany who ( not whom), yields? can't remember

NB Dwarf, beefsteak, Resurrected, LeHoullier

Peak of Perfection, yields, resurrected, LeHoullier

Ponder Heart, non-acid again

Shapka________, missing a ) after Hat in the name,

T Britches, maybe a bit more background? it isn't common to see britches as part of a variety name, LOL

Tidwell German, yield, beefsteak, and then fix the following, now my words....this variety was not released to me, rather, I obtained the seeds from David Pendergrass whose family heirloom it is, actually his paternal grandmother's side of the family, and yes, it has been grown at least since the 1920's.. David sent seeds to quite a few folks, so nothing exclusive with respect to me.

OK, will do the next color class when I get to it.
Old December 26, 2009   #39
clara
Tomatovillian™

One small addition to Ludmilla's Pink Heart: It is NOT from Germany, but from Kazachstan and was brought to Germany in the 1970th. In that time, many people with German roots emigrated from former Soviet Union to Germany and Ludmilla was one of them. She took those seeds and others with her and later on, got more varieties from her family and friends (left in Kazachstan). This is what Reinhard Kraft told me.
Both "Ludmillas" - Pink Heart and Red Plum showed high yields (at least for me).
clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2009   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
One small addition to Ludmilla's Pink Heart: It is NOT from Germany, but from Kazachstan and was brought to Germany in the 1970th. In that time, many people with German roots emigrated from former Soviet Union to Germany and Ludmilla was one of them. She took those seeds and others with her and later on, got more varieties from her family and friends (left in Kazachstan). This is what Reinhard Kraft told me.
Both "Ludmillas" - Pink Heart and Red Plum showed high yields (at least for me).
clara
Good catch Clara b'c I wass initially confused as well as to whether Ludmilla had acquired the three varieties, the pink heart, the red plum and now the large yellow, while living in Germany or brought them from Kazachstan and e-mailed him and he said she had brought them with her from Kazachstan.

So Adam, you might want to fix both Ludmilla's Red Plum and also Ludmilla's PInk Heart to reflect that those two varieties were originally form Kazachstan and are not German heirlooms.
Old December 28, 2009   #41
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Ted (amideutch)
Thanks for this site - I signed up -
it sure is nice to see people that know about Glecklers here - the GW site seemed like most thought it was a "new" start up company and started "bad mouthing" before they had the facts or knew this company is still in the same family and just going through a resurection
when they closed down back in 95 (I believe) many were disapointed with the loss so now we are happy they are back under Adam (same family) - and looks like they are already going good and getting good reviews - keep it up Adam -
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2009   #42
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered the "Stick" tomato from them today.
While ordering, i thought about ordering a pack of "Angora Orange" seeds too. I didn't, since i already have so many varieties to grow out in 2010.
Within hours (!) i got this mail:
Quote:
We have received your order with Gleckler Seedmen! This is a confirmation e-mail that your order has been processed and shippped out this morning. Please feel free to notify us with any questions you may have and if possible let us know when you receive your package. It is coming from the State of Ohio and we would like to be made aware when you seeds arrive since they are being sent overseas. Thank You again for your order with us! Also, we did enclose a FREE packet of our newest variety Angora Orange, Enjoy!

Are they mindreaders or something?
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2009   #43
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

On the Profile page of Gleckler's, it says something like "bulk orders are excepted" and should say "bulk orders are accepted." Also, Argentina is correct spelling.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2009   #44
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I hope everyone and anyone who is reading here would please see if there's anything else to be suggested about the various varieties listed, anything I missed, anything I might have said that's wrong, etc.

Thanks.

Today I'll do the oranges and bicolors listed and blacks. I have to do the rest soon b'c I've got to get my own seed in order for my seed offer here as well as just generally getting my seeds organized.

Oranges and Bicolors as listed:

Angora Orange, flattened, foliage

Caro Rich, low acid????, Adam, not that old as you wrote, was bred by Purdue U and released in 1989 and was bred for high Vit A content ( carotenes); they also bred Caro-Red.

Golden Cherokee, excellent

Japan Tomato tree, producing, yields

KBX, yields, beefsteak ( in text)

KY Beefsteak, beefsteak ( in text)

Liberty Bell, non-acid???

Lucky Cross, LeHoullier

Orange Minsk, Baranovski of Minsk, Belarus, who obtained....

Orange-1, all capitals, Belarusian Insitute of Vegetable Gardening

Pineapple, don't need the words heirloom tomato seed as part of the variety name. Adam, it's not that unusual, really, there are 100+ known red/gold bicolors, really.

Pink Grapefruit, grapefruit one word, low acid????

BLACKS

Arbuznyi, purplish, Originally

Indian Stripe, maybe more information about it to describe fruits and describe possible relationship to Cherokee Purple?

JD, change to JD's in the variety name

Spudakee, is Purple really part of the variety name?, flattened,Spudakee is a PL mutant of Cherokee Purple, so all that should be different is the leaf form, and Cherokee Purple is listed in the Pink section of the SSE Yearbook, as is Indian Stripe, and despite the word Purple for CP the fruits aren't purple and I doubt that the fruits of Spudakee are purple as well. The only two varieties that I know of that do have a purple tint are Purple Calabash and Noire des Cosebeauf. Maybe use dusky pink for Spudakee?
Old December 28, 2009   #45
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn
low-acid keeps coming up in descriptions - am I wrong in that all tomatoes have acid of about the same ph but that the difference is the sugar content (brix) may make a tomato bland, sweeter or mask the acid taste - correct me if I am wrong
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote