Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 9, 2015   #1
surf4grrl
Tomatovillian™

Default Salt of the Earth Seeds

I've been seed saving a long time and finally got our seed company online. We have a farm on the East End of Long Island in Southold.

The seed company can be found at northforkseeds.com. We have alot of hard to find tomatoes and are trying to upload more every week - I'm a few years behind! The farming season is very busy since we do alot of fresh production all year long.

Also of note - we have been working with Ken Ettlinger and started the Long Island Regional Seed Consortium which is primarily devoted towards advocacy and research.

We do have some breeding projects going and some of Ken's cucurbits work is on our seed site; with the proceeds going towards LIRSC.
surf4grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

That is a nice looking site you have.

I noticed your summer squash section, specifically the Tatume mix, which interests me a great deal. Is that mix a segregating cross or crosses? Or is it a mix of stabilized crosses?

I'm doing a summer squash breeding project in my garden, which I've only just begun in 2014. This year I'll be growing out my Tatume x Lemon F1--which I will self this year and grow the F2 in 2016. Eventually I'm hoping to find something with the habit of Tatume and SVB resistance of its stems with the yellow color and production of the Lemon squash. And who knows what else will show up that does well and tastes good--but for me one key is the Tatume habit since I grow summer squash on cattle panels to make the most of my garden's square footage.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for passing that along. Cool squash collections!!