Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 18, 2015   #16
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Too.. Too funny. Hey, the ones in the first pic are on sale. Better grab a few extra for friends and neighbors before they are all gone. They probably charging like 15.99 on top of that for shipping and handling too.

I wonder how many people will be taken in by the hype and get a plant or two. You just know somebody is going to be foolish enough to buy it.

Thanks for the chuckles.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #17
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Oh my God, if people are stupid enough to buy this then they need some professional help.
Old February 18, 2015   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

"They probably charging like 15.99 on top of that for shipping and handling too."
According to the screen shot SH is included.So back it out and you get a plant for around 20bucs maybe.

P.S.Just did a dry run order and seems for one plant shipping the cost was $13.95.

Last edited by kurt; February 18, 2015 at 08:32 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a fantastic deal to me. If they could graft 4 new-to-me varieties onto one plant, it would save a lot of garden space .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I hate to use the word stupid describing someone.
People that buy this stuff are more than likely uninformed or it is not their normal skill set.
When I am at a nursery I see intelligent people all of the time about to make huge mistakes.
This doesn't mean they are stupid it means they are ignorant of the knowledge they require to do something.

That is why we have so many new members here every spring, people that want to get into growing tomatoes and are seeking help.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #21
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

There's definitely some profit-taking going on right now with grafting. I think it will die down some, but there is some labor involved so I don't think we'll ever see $3.99 grafted plants.

I'm personally planning to graft a couple of plants onto Tasti-Lee VFFFNT and see if it leads to any improved productivity. Not sure where to get grafting clips without spending a bazillion dollars though. Is there an arts-and-crafts type product that comes close? Could I use plastic wrap and then a hair barrette or something? Guess I should use the Search feature.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
There's definitely some profit-taking going on right now with grafting. I think it will die down some, but there is some labor involved so I don't think we'll ever see $3.99 grafted plants.

I'm personally planning to graft a couple of plants onto Tasti-Lee VFFFNT and see if it leads to any improved productivity. Not sure where to get grafting clips without spending a bazillion dollars though. Is there an arts-and-crafts type product that comes close? Could I use plastic wrap and then a hair barrette or something? Guess I should use the Search feature.
Morgan do they have a hobby lobby near you?
If they do there is all kinds of stuff in that place you might find something there and you have no idea where you will find it.

worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #23
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Yeah we have a Furniture Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I'll take a look.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #24
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Wow, gives a whole new meaning to "what the market will bear" doesn't it?
Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #25
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Here, maybe this will help. On this blog site the person if you read past how they did all their grafting and pics to the comments section, one person said they used binder clips from the office supply store and in the post underneath, the original blogger said they have used them too in a pinch for several years before the metal rusts on them.

Also, if you have a local garden supply center or a hardware store they might carr some grafting supplies.

May sound crazy, but also check out the hair barrettes section in like Walmart or other box stores. Might find some small enough that will work too.

http://curbstonevalley.com/blog/?p=9562

Last edited by Starlight; February 18, 2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Forgot the link
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #26
dustee1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Not sure where to get grafting clips without spending a bazillion dollars though.

Feldon, We purchased a few from UncleDunkle / dunkelsfertilizer they were 10 cents a piece. Also picked up a few from HighMowingSeeds to take advantage of their free shipping on any order.

~ April the Artistic Gardener
dustee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #27
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

I guess there are somethings I don't understand. We have a local nursery that sells tomato plants to those who don't want to start their own. They sell a 6 pak of heirloom and open pollinated plants as well as hybred types for less than $4.00. If you get twice as many tomatoes from a grafted plant, why not plant two regulars for a fraction of the cost?
I can see why commercial growers do it but they don't pay outrages prices for plants either.
Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #28
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

There is a big advantage to grafting - if you have soilborne disease. A smaller advantage to it in terms of vigor if you don't.
Twice as many tomatoes from a grafted plant? Nope.....
It is worth a few dollars per plant markup if you are only growing a few plants.
You can buy 100 commercial rootstock seed for 30 bucks and if you are doing it right, get 2 or 3 grafted plants out of each. Or use a disease resistant heirloom or hybrid for rootstock.
Grafting is fun to do, and it is really very easy.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #29
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I'm starting to get the hang of grafting. Maybe I should start selling plants too, instead of giving them away.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #30
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
You can buy 100 commercial rootstock seed for 30 bucks and if you are doing it right, get 2 or 3 grafted plants out of each. Or use a disease resistant heirloom or hybrid for rootstock.
Grafting is fun to do, and it is really very easy.
Whoa! I guess I'm not doing it right; please, please, set me straight! How do you get two or three grafted plans from one rootstock? I currently lop the top off the rootstock plant and graft the top of a good tomato onto it. One for one.