Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 23, 2015   #1
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Default could anyone please help me ID this tomato?

I bought a plant from infamous GURNEY's and it died. it was a colosa
l bell pepper.
they made goo for it refunding with NO problem.
I cut the old pepper and left the roots inground. from the roots where the stem was a small tomato grew.
definatly not one of mine as all are started indoors and seed is NEVER near the garden.

It has potato leafs. is very strong, is currently about 20 inches tall, has many tomatos that are about 1/2 inch in diameter. all except one are green-the one that is turning is an even yellow color like it is supposed to be that color.
H E L P please.
any ideas for me to research? all are welcomed. thanks in advance-mike(garden381)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize progress 2.jpg (268.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg resize progress 1 .jpg (222.7 KB, 102 views)
garden381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Maybe a volunteer plant from last season tomato? I have found a few this season. Maybe a seed in the potting soil? I can't identify though.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #3
garden381
Tomatovillian™

can't be a volunteer plant because i am sure to never let fruit go in garden. i grow organicly and only cut the grass around the garden. while it uses some water,when i pull the roots out where i plant a row, i find moisture is maintained. i always however remove weeds.
thanks much for the reply.
happy gardening...mike
Old June 24, 2015   #4
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mike, it could have been a stray seed that was in the potting mix your pepper came in, I suppose?

It is very difficult to identify a tomato on sight alone.

I don't know of many potato leaf yellow cherries, but Galina's could be a possibility.

Hopefully some of the many folks who have a MUCH more vast knowledge of varieties, than I will give their two cents.

Best of Luck!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #5
garden381
Tomatovillian™

hi BucksCountyGirl for the reply. I appreciate the idea and will try to see if it compares simply by useing google images. Obviously the ACTUAL i d cant be determined but at least i can have an idea of when they will be ripe ,that is, what they should look like. I never have seen a ripe tomato that is 1/2 inch in diameter

AND, hey- after looking at the Galina's tomato there is very much that fits my plant. the size,the color even the layout of the fruit on the plant and the size of the hand.
the interior of the yellow tomato in my photo is the same as the one i found on google images.
it can be seen at the link i followed from the photo...
http://heritagetomatoseed.com/heirlo...alinas-yellow/
Old June 24, 2015   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Does Guerneys sell Galinas? It does look like Galinas is possible. You might check what tomatoes they sell to narrow down the possibilities.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #7
garden381
Tomatovillian™

by the way, after removing seed from 1/2 of the tiny tomato, i ate the other half. the taste was very sweet but had little 'tomato'flavor rather tasting like sugar water. very strange. hope i dont get poisoned ( lol ).
i did save seed just in case this turns out to be some kind of plant that i wishthat i saved.
Old June 24, 2015   #8
garden381
Tomatovillian™

think i'll call gurneys and find out. thanks ( thats probably where i should have started...) i'll post my findings in a few minuites.
Old June 24, 2015   #9
garden381
Tomatovillian™

so i just got off of the phone and spoke to the master gardner -brad-and he said that it possibly could be a 'mother 'plant used in the cross process OR more likely a stray seed from their grower in michigan who they buy their plants from who ALSO sells to other companies.
Brad suggested saving as many seeds as possible and even mailing him some so he can grow them as he NEVER HEARD of ANY yellow tomato which ripened at 1/2 inch!

we'll see where this goes... TO BE CONTINUED..
Old June 24, 2015   #10
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

A fun puzzle to solve! So now you need to save seeds from your plant, and then get some real Galinas seed and grow them side by side next season!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Description kind of fits Galina, but the leaves look a bit different to me. Galina has unusually short leaves, kinda small compared to anything else, but they're not shiny like in the picture, but a bit more fuzzy. Also the fruits on the truss are not very spaced, they usually touch each other when ripe.
But galina is about 1/2 inch size (maybe slightly bigger than sungold), at lest in my garden.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Mike.... Your plant is almost like mine except yours is PL and mine is RL.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37069

Mine are starting to ripen I noticed last night when watering and was going to try and take a pic today to see if anybody could tell me if it is fully ripe or not.

Mine are still like peas and the biggest ones are barely a half inch in size. Same on both plants that I have. They haven't grown up at all, so while I thought I was growing Burgess Lemon, I have something different for sure and I will be saving seed from them.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote