Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 17, 2006   #1
mountain homestead
Tomatovillian™

Default stink bugs

I've been noticing some pretty severe stink bug bite damage ( I believe) to my maters, I pick them off when I see them but I know in no way am I getting all of them. I did a search in garden diseases and pests and only found one reference to neem as control. Is that my only option, are the maters edible.
Old August 17, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

I just can't get get shut of the memory of eatin' a stink bug in my green beans in the 6th grade ...

Since then every stink bug in the world is my mortal enemy. squish ... flick ... stomp

But I find them more a threat to the taste buds on blackberries than tomatoes. Their stench just doesn't seem to linger as long on tomato skins.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2006   #3
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I also have a TERRIBLE stink bug problem. I do Neem although I have not helped my cause this year as I have been pretty neglectful due to work/family. As far as I know, it doesn't make them inedible but in some cases the fruit are so unappealing that I don't bother. The white spots are tough and tasteless so depending on how desperate you are for a homegrown tomato...it certainly takes away from the taste.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2006   #4
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

We also get lots of these things. Sometimes they even come into the house. One had the audacity to crawl into my hair while I was napping in my recliner one day. Then when I felt it, panicked and smacked at it. The nasty little thing sprayed me with some sort of stinky solution. I didn't even know they could do that. I had to wash my hair a number of times, and still didn't get the smell completely out. It had to air out for a day or two before it was completely gone. The nerve! They've been my mortal enemies ever since.
Old August 20, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Stink Bugs and Leaf-footed Bugs both have that sickly sweet smell when handled or squished, but I find the smell disappates rather quickly. You can spray the bugs with soapy water, neem, or just use a handheld vacuum cleaner to suck em up.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2006   #6
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

It didn't dissipate quickly from my hair, but hair is very porous. That's one reason I hate to be around cigarette smoke, hair will pick up the odor very quickly. I hate smelling like cigarettes when I don't even smoke.
Old August 21, 2006   #7
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

The many colors of 'Stink Bugs'

brown marmorated stink bug

PDF: Stink Bug Pest Alert