Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 4, 2006   #1
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default The Rhubarb Compendium- Almost Everything You wanted To Know

The Rhubarb Compendium is a collection of rhubarb information from many sources. It contains almost anything you ever wanted to know about Rhubarb. I hope you will enjoy this and book mark it as a favorite.
Gary/Louisville

The Rhubarb Compendium --- Everything You always wanted to know about Ruhbarb
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

12.3 - Insecticide
Rhubarb leaves can be used to make an effective organic insecticide for any of the leaf eating insects (cabbage caterpillars, aphids, peach and cherry slug etc). 6,15
12.3.1 - Recipe 1
· Basically you boil up a few pounds of rhubarb leaves in a few pints of water for about 15 or 20 minutes,

· allow to cool,

· then strain the liquid into a suitable container.

· Dissolve some soap flakes in this liquid and use it to spray against aphids.

So, next time you pick some rhubarb stems to eat, you can put the leaves to good use rather than just composting them (which isn't in itself such a bad use, I guess).

12.3.2 - Recipe 2
· Shred 1.5 kg (3 lbs.) rhubarb leaves

· and boil in 3.5 liters (1 gallon) of water for 30 minutes.

· Allow to cool and then strain. (use old utensils if you can - the rhubarb will stain most things and poison the rest.

· In a small saucepan heat to boiling point 2.5 litters ( 2.5 quarts) of water and mix in 125 g (4 oz) of softened soap ends (any bits of soap left in the shower).

· Allow to cool (stirring regularly to make sure all the soap is dissolved).

· Add to the strained leaf mixture, stir vigorously, and the spray directly onto infested leaves.

The unused spray can be kept for a day or two, but keep your kids away its still quite harmful.
VGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2006   #2
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Just as and added interest whilst talking about rhubarb.

Never-but never, attempt to cook the rhubarb stems for eating, in anything made of aluminium, pots, pans etc. as the oxalic acid in the rhubarb dissolves a tiny portion of the aluminium into the stewed rhubarb stems, and if you continue to eat it over a period of time it will give most people Altzeimers and dementure.

Thats why I never eat fruit pies from a bakery or shop that has been baked in those aluminium foil trays they come in, as there is always the danger of the acid in any fruit taking in minute portions of the metal.

Some time ago now I changed every single saucepan and frying pan in our house for stainless steel or enameled ones they are 100% safe, and I wont have an aluminium pan in the house.

The rhubarb makes a very good pan cleaner though as after you have boiled it -the pans come out like new all bright and shiny.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote