Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 28, 2013   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
LOL Carolyn, you are definitely one of the volunteers. In fact, I am planning to send most tomato varieties to you first. I copied and pasted that list from one of the documents I have had and I think I created another list which I cannot find right now . Hopefully, I haven't forgotten to add other names but I am updating the list now. I think I will also add Craig to the list because I know that he is growing Turkish varieties for you (please correct me if I am wrong).

I am currently offering Ludmilla's Red Plum (very limited quantity since %90 of my grow-outs are Turkish varieties right now) but the three varieties you mentioned definitely qualify.

As I mentioned you before, I am growing a yellow Georgian variety right now. Also, a friend (a math professor from Turkey) sent me an Afghani variety of which seeds were given to him by one of his students in Turkey. I am very excited about this one.
Plus, I have finally obtained seeds for Bulgarian from Cerkezkoy (Çerkezköy'lü Bulgar). This is the first heirloom tomato from Turkey for which I have found out a relatively more detailed story. It was grown by Ms. Hafize Balic from Cerkezkoy district of Istanbul for over 60 years until her death. Originally a pink variety from Bulgaria.

Also, you are right about starting the venture being a huge step or should I say a tall psychological barrier? I am glad that I have passed that level because it wasn't easy for me. I wouldn't be able to do it without my wife's support.
Chance, just to clarify, Craig doesn't grow to maturity plants from the seeds for varieties I send to him, he just grows seedlings for me and then ships them up here to me where hopefully Freda will again be tending them this summer.

From time to time Craig has grown to maturity some I send to him but that's rarely the case since most of what he grows are the Dwarf varieties and the ones he's going to sell as seedlings at the Raleigh Farmer's Market.

Carolyn
Old March 29, 2013   #17
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks much for the feedback and your support, Steve. I got your order and I will ship it tomorrow.

Mehmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Chance, my order went through smoothly and no tax was charged. You have a nice selection with very reasonable prices and I'm looking forward to checking out your future additions!

Steve
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #18
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks much Mike, I appreciate your words and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Congratulations on the new venture Chance. Since i am in Florida, I will also check out your site. I love to support family run businesses.

God Bless America!!!!!!

Mike
Old March 29, 2013   #19
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for clarification, Carolyn. I think I will still include him in the list because I consider what he is doing a contribution to the project, too. Also please thank Freda for me for growing the Turkish varieties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Chance, just to clarify, Craig doesn't grow to maturity plants from the seeds for varieties I send to him, he just grows seedlings for me and then ships them up here to me where hopefully Freda will again be tending them this summer.

From time to time Craig has grown to maturity some I send to him but that's rarely the case since most of what he grows are the Dwarf varieties and the ones he's going to sell as seedlings at the Raleigh Farmer's Market.

Carolyn
Old March 29, 2013   #20
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Chance,

This is a great endeavor starting out and I signed up for your newsletter. I can see a need for distribution of varieties from this part of the world. I know how difficult it was getting Aleppo pepper seeds. Greek Domata is a tomato that doesn’t get much exposure, but I really like it. I grow it next to Box Car Willie hoping the two will cross, (to increase yield a bit), but hasn’t happened.

Seed Envelopes: I’m not sayin to copy Steve from Heritage in any way, but if you can come up with seed packets that have the ease of opening/closing something like he has done, it is a plus for us with digit arthritis.
In other words something totally opposite of Baker Creek envelopes that ★★★★ me off- is what I’m suggesting. I see a new seed (company) has been planted and will do well,

-Randy
Old March 30, 2013   #21
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi Randy,

Thanks much for your support. I am currently using bubble mailers for shipping. For the seeds, I am using 3 x 4 1/2 coin envelopes if the number of packages ordered is not too many. If a lot of varieties are ordered at once, I will use small plastic bags to keep the shipping costs low.

The shopping cart calculates the shipping (and handling) costs based on the total weight of the packages (weight changes depending on the seed type and number of seeds in each package). Shipping cost changes between $3.00 and $4.00.

I can modify things on the way based on suggestions I receive.

Mehmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmran1 View Post
Chance,

This is a great endeavor starting out and I signed up for your newsletter. I can see a need for distribution of varieties from this part of the world. I know how difficult it was getting Aleppo pepper seeds. Greek Domata is a tomato that doesn’t get much exposure, but I really like it. I grow it next to Box Car Willie hoping the two will cross, (to increase yield a bit), but hasn’t happened.

Seed Envelopes: I’m not sayin to copy Steve from Heritage in any way, but if you can come up with seed packets that have the ease of opening/closing something like he has done, it is a plus for us with digit arthritis.
In other words something totally opposite of Baker Creek envelopes that ★★★★ me off- is what I’m suggesting. I see a new seed (company) has been planted and will do well,

-Randy
Old April 1, 2013   #22
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Congrats Chance! Best of luck on the new venture! By the way, my project peppers are underway and doing very well!
Old April 1, 2013   #23
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

lakelady, thanks much for the support. I hope you will be happy with the peppers. They are all very productive and tasty varieties. Please don't forget to provide your feedback on the project page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Congrats Chance! Best of luck on the new venture! By the way, my project peppers are underway and doing very well!
Old April 2, 2013   #24
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Chance,

The seeds arrived in only 3 days from Florida to California, that is speedy service! Excellent packaging and descriptions, I especially like the extra-wide coin envelops you use for individual varieties. Thank you also for the bonus seeds. Somehow, I expected excellence from you, and wasn't disappointed.

Have a great season,
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #25
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Chance: I've looked at the website and cannot find some of the peppers (Aleppo) and tomato (Greek Domata) that other members have referenced. Am I missing something? Thanks. Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #26
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Steve,
I am glad you liked the packaging. This is important for me. I think the bubble mailer you received may not be big enough if someone orders many varieties, though. Happy growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Chance,

The seeds arrived in only 3 days from Florida to California, that is speedy service! Excellent packaging and descriptions, I especially like the extra-wide coin envelops you use for individual varieties. Thank you also for the bonus seeds. Somehow, I expected excellence from you, and wasn't disappointed.

Have a great season,
Steve
Old April 2, 2013   #27
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi Farmette,

I am not offering those varieties. Randy said that Aleppo is hard to find and he likes Greek Domata. However, I will offer some exciting to me pepper/tomato varieties before summer ends so you may want to sign up for the newsletter to find out when they are available. I have missed the growing season this year but new varieties will be ready for 2014.

Cheers,
Mehmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Chance: I've looked at the website and cannot find some of the peppers (Aleppo) and tomato (Greek Domata) that other members have referenced. Am I missing something? Thanks. Chris
Old April 2, 2013   #28
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your quick reply. I did sign up for the newsletter and am looking forward to reading it. Your website has a nice, clean look to it. Congratulations!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #29
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Congratz chance! Too late this year for me but I will still finish the projects you sent me! Good luck!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #30
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Redbaron, I look forward to your observations/feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Congratz chance! Too late this year for me but I will still finish the projects you sent me! Good luck!