Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 14, 2006   #31
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Best thing I have found for morel mushrooms, is to buy rice hulls as a mulch. We had a project some years back that we thought this was a good idea. Somehow, morel spores got in there and what a harvest. This condo project in the middle of Concord, CA had hundreds, maybe thousands, everywhere.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2006   #32
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I put my vegie patches away for the winter with a good topping of chopped leaves and grass clippings. This breaks down pretty well over the winter and spring. I may carefully turn this a bit in the early spring and again top with more leaves and clippings (well before any pre-emergent or spot weed killer)...and speaking on that note...I am spending the winter reviewing what I can on going organic for the lawn this next year.

Almost forgot...the layer of leaves and grass also provides cover for when I go out and dump my vegie/fruit scrapes and coffee grounds... make a hole, dump and then cover over again. The worms love it...and judging on the growth of my tomatoes and other vegies...this must be doing something right!
Adenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2006   #33
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I've already emptied the contents of my 2006
"earth bin" into the garden ...

Which reminds me ...
I need to get a wheelbarrel for 2007.
Took me 100 trips by shovel/bucket this fall ...
Lame ...

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2006   #34
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Those are 2 excellent references about acorns, on page 2 of this thread, Tom...and TY so Much for locating and posting them. Aint nothin like...new insights, things that one didnt know, but sho is interested in, an then....somebody offers those up...for thought...))) TY !

I actually have been wondering what the chemical assay would render for the 3 major plant nutrients (N-P-K) of an acorn.

From reading what you found...even though N is not stated, even in the DV list for human consumption...the Protein amount listed at 16% leads me to think that an acorn will possess significant Nitrogen. Hope to learn more re: this likelihood.

The Other Big 2...of which...i'm lookin for natural phosphorous sources closer to home, primarily...it appears in reading the DV values, that acorns have a 1-7 ratio of P to K, and a Significant Calcium input to offer as well. Was hopin the P might be greater , but thats jus how it goes, i reckon...)))Manganese and Magnesium are good Surprises...too, as well as Vitamin B6. Wonder what fats do....for Soil ?...)))

Truly appreciated the new (to me) insights upon the significance and the "sophisticated endeavors" applied towards acorn production, and the prudence in managing timely chores, by this continent's Original Peoples.
TY...)))

Many an much...fine points, advisements...in this thread, by ALL...TY...i really am tuned to it...))) I agree too, w/what TCG said...you actually CAN...have TOO much OM ,...at times, an that aint good, temporarily...but...its like puttin money in the Bank...to leave alone. It's gonna be Beautiful, as it breaks down, and fortifies yo Body, with the Natural Powers....found...in Nature....as delivered by your Soils, into...your vegetables. An you caint go to no store, an buy that...hardly.
Old November 15, 2006   #35
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I need to get a wheelbarrel for 2007.

One of the top three essentials. Now the hard part: polypropylene or gal?

Pneumatic tyre is a given. The pushbike pump fits just fine.

Take your niece or nephew for the test drive. Before long they'll be doing the carting
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2006   #36
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Gimme3 -
My pleasure re: the acorn info -
I had a debate one time regarding acorns ...
It all started when I witnessed a squirrel plunked out of a tree by a huge red tail hawk as I was walking our Golden Retriever ... In someway shape or form what I remember the most about it was: tannins ~

lol ~ Grub ...
But now you've made me wonder - I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough room in my shed to store it -
will def. need to look at my options re: durability & weather proof ...

~ Tom
Old November 16, 2006   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I once read in a book that hack berry leaves had the least amount of nutrients of all trees here in Texas.
The book had a broken down list of tree leaves and what they compost or break down to.
I was a library book so I have no idea what the name of it was.

All of my leaves get mulched up with the lawn mower and left where they sit.
I feel and know this is nature’s way of replenishing the soil of the nutrients that the plants depleted during the growing season.

There isn’t one thing on this planet that takes place that doesn’t have a use to make things go in the happy little circle of life.
It’s our job to observe this life cycle and try our best to blend in with it, and not destroy the delicate balance of nature that was set before us as a gift.
Way too many leaves get sent to the land fills when they should be composted or mulched and left were they lay so the critters that live on them in the soil have a chance to survive.
Of curse some trees such as the black walnut put out a natural poison that impedes the growth of other plants.
That’s just nature’s way of helping that tree survive.

I know you all know this already so I will just say use the leaves and if you don’t have room for the wheel barrow in the shed put the thing in the house.

That will test the wife on how much she is in tune with your gardening zealously, fanaticism, enthusiasm or what ever you want to call it.
Or you can get a big sheet and rake the leaves up on to it then drag the things to where ever you care to put them.

It actually works better that a cart or wheel barrow and it folds up and stores nicely after use.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2006   #38
creister
Tomatovillian™

I always leave pecans and acorns in the leaves. Sometimes they sprout and then I just pull them out and throw them on the top of the mulch. I have always wondered how much they might help the soil.

Worth, I wonder if that wasn't a mulberry tree. Giant weeds is all they amout to. At least birds eat the hackberry for food. I am talking about the non fruiting type of mulberry.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2006   #39
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Back in our nursery days, we used all steel wheel barrows (pneumatic tires, of course) and we just left them outside. We would stand (lean?) them against the wall of the packing house, open side facing the wall so there was no standing water and they lasted for years. No problem

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2006   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now that I think about it I don’t think I have ever seen a wheel barrow kept inside.
They were always left leaning against something or someone was leaning against them.

No Creister,
It was hack berry the things will grow in the sorriest soil they are a weed the woods not fit for anything they easily break up in a storm and I kill every sprout I see.
At least they have seeds for the birds.
I guess the seedless mulberry is pretty low on my list too, just a water sucking weed.
I don’t care for trees that don’t produce food for the critters.

Worth
Old November 16, 2006   #41
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Maybe its just a DREAM that I could
"park" my wheel-barrel ! lol ~
(three car garage would be nice!)

Looks like I'm gonna have to Rustoleum
my barrel which ever one I decide on
(bay/ocean salts) ...
I was going to get it in Dec.
hoping it's be on sale ~

Tom
Old November 16, 2006   #42
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Two options:

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2006   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You don’t need all of that fancy gadgetry!
Get one of these.
http://www.kidskonnect.com/Camel/CamelsHome.html
Old November 17, 2006   #44
creister
Tomatovillian™

Feldon, thanks for the info. Now I have two trash trees on the list. I did not realize hackberry was so worthless. I never liked them due to the fact that when I used to trap birds for Harris County, the mist nets would always seem to get tangled up in them.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2006   #45
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I only have one medium bush / tree in my
yard ... the crazy part about this story is
these aren't even my leaves / trees

Don't get me wrong
I appreciate them for compost (essential browns) ...
but the work & the way I have to
dispose the "extra leaves" is crazy ~

~ Tom