Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 16, 2018   #2446
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoustache View Post
The mosquito dunks work! I do a watering with some peroxide in the watering can when moving plants inside. I then water with mosquito dunks in the watering can the rest of the winter. It's really improved the health of my indoor plants over the last year.

I also have two DynoTrap brand wall plug in traps. Full disclosure, I got them free as a perk from my job. I have one in my kitchen, mainly for fruit flies that always seem to show up around harvest season, and one in my living room near most of my indoor plants. I will be buying a third free standing one for my seed starting setup where I am over wintering some plants too.
I also have used the yellow sticky traps...they're not expensive and they work.

What helps my seasonal affective disorder the best is making sure I have plenty of vitamin d (get your levels checked!) and healthy fats (fish, olive oil, coconut oil, butter or ghee) and using a sunlight lamp in the morning (I have it right next to our breakfast table all winter...in fact I'm going to go get it set up tonight!)
I also have to take vitamin B complex because I have the MTFHR Gene mutation...finding that out really helped my sluggishness and constant exhaustion (especially
during the cold months) ...maybe b vitamins would help you.

It's not a cure or perfect and I still crave spring and sunlight...but it helps.
Thanks for all the advice, MissM! Some of these things I do (dunks, Vit. D) and some I can start easily enough. I just ordered some yellow sticky traps.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018   #2447
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This one is long - I hope you don't mind. It has everything to do with weather and gardening.

I just heard the forecast through mid November. If the European forecasting model is right (Which it has been right over the past 2 months) - there's chance of this year rivaling 2015 which was the wettest year on record by far. But that's what the local weather stations are saying.

What we have experienced is somewhat what it was like in 2015. A wet spring this year compared to a crop ruining wet 7 weeks in 2015. It was followed by the longest amount of days without measurable precipitation in 2015. This Summer was very dry too. Then Fall of 2015 it was wetter than normal, but not like it was in the Spring of that year. This fall is extremely wet like it was in Spring of 2015.

Our Fall tomatoes didn't have a chance with all the rain. I didn't plant any greens and Fall vegies because of it. Root Knot Nematodes (RKN) loves wet years. It causes them to breed a lot more. RKN is a bad problem to have and ruin your garden in a hurry. I do plant in containers now, but I am/was wanting to plant some onions and peppers in 4 raised beds. This daily rainy weather has me perplexed: Do I start onion seeds inside now? I won't know unless I try is what I feel inside. However, I've seen what RKN does.

The onion seeds come from a person living around a thousand miles away, and another from someone in the UK. I don't want to waste the seeds. I want them to see that their seeds grew some excellent onions.

Weather affects us all in so many different ways. I know of a way to grow those onions where RKN will not be present, but it means tearing down those raised beds and building something different. A raised garden that ... why didn't I think of this before? It's simple and logical, but will take some skill and a little money. I will post about it soon in the Growing in Containers section.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018   #2448
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, why not grow the onions in containers?
Old October 17, 2018   #2449
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Salt, why not grow the onions in containers?
Nan, they will be in flood control containers. No more bending over.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; October 17, 2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old October 17, 2018   #2450
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

"No more bending over."

A dream come true! My back is tired of doing that.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018   #2451
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hanging gardens of Babylon.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018   #2452
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Mansfield dam.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BicsX8MGfAMgfr
Old October 17, 2018   #2453
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is why I live on snob knob.
Worth

https://youtu.be/a7xalpy_bNE
Old October 18, 2018   #2454
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
"No more bending over."

A dream come true! My back is tired of doing that.
Mine too, but I'm finding the cost of materials would take years of onion and pepper growing to pay for itself. I haven't given up on the thought though.

Weather-wise, we did get a short break from the rain today. Tomorrow, Thursday was supposed to be another break, but the radars say different. They are starting to show things about it on Accuweather. We went to town today, and it's obvious where lakes should be instead of houses. My generation didn't figure that out. I'm hoping that future generations learn to harvest water.
Old October 18, 2018   #2455
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We just had a hurricane come through and do a lot of damage so just cleaning up the garden will be a major chore. I don't know if I will be able to get anything done for fall and winter this year but I'm hoping to try. It has still been in the lower to upper 90s until today and on the day of the hurricane so it hasn't been too favorable for planting much of anything. I'm still getting okra even though all the plants were flattened. I just stood them up and braced them with a stake and they seem to have recovered from the beating. As a matter of fact they have been producing more than normal since the storm. I'm still getting a few tomatoes and peppers from the plants that were well supported and still have some limbs that aren't broken on them but what fruits that I am getting are usually too bruised up to be much good.

If anyone needs a huge pile of small limbs my garden was loaded with them. Mostly from my neighbors oak trees and various other surrounding trees. I was really hoping some of the trees surrounding my garden would get blown down so I could have less shade but the only big tree near my garden that went down was my 35 year old tulip poplar that fell on my shed. It was also one of the few trees that wasn't shading my garden but was providing some very necessary shade for my greenhouse. The tree had to be removed with a large crane instead of the much cheaper bucket truck. It did leave me with a nice hole to start a small fish pond with though.

I feel blessed not to have had more damage with those high winds. I really feel for the people to the south and east of here who took the brunt of the storm. It will be years before things get half way back to normal for many of them and decades before the trees come back.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #2456
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your garden Bill! But really glad you are okay. I didn't realize you were in Michael's path. It was so close to a cat 5 at landfall, the damage on the gulf coast is terrible to see.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #2457
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bill, I'm glad you didn't have more damage. The most important part is you are writing about property damage and not personal damage.

Depending on what type of oak - those limbs could be used in a smoker. Personally, Black Oak is the only one we have used that we didn't care for so much. The food tasted more like smoke than anything else.
Old October 19, 2018   #2458
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just heard on Accuweather that the amount of rain since September 1 is the wettest Fall with over 2 feet of rain. That is 60.96+cm of rain. Having a day without rain has been odd and far between. It's not supposed to rain Sunday and Monday.

By the time some of you read this - it will be October 20th. In a typical year here, the tree leaves are starting to change colors and falling. It hasn't happened yet this year with exception of a few wild plum trees.

It's actually kind of cool to see from a nature loving person's way of seeing it. I've been in this area for 53 years, and it's my first year of seeing this. They started recording the weather here in 1898, and this is the wettest Fall so far.
Old October 22, 2018   #2459
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Last night late I went to the garden with a flashlight and picked the last peppers. I told the tomatoes & peppers that they had done a good job. There was frost on the ground and the temp was 29F. This morning the tomato plants were dead; I presume the peppers are as well.

Today my mother and I sat together planning next year's garden.
Old October 23, 2018   #2460
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Weather related due to flooding.
The dreaded Austin Boil Water Fiasco.
Yes I say fiasco because the attempt to make people safe has turned into The great water grab nightmare.
Plus they aren't telling everyone the truth about how fitly it really is or could potentially be.
Hospitals from what I hear have stopped any elective surgery.
Restaurants shut down.
Nor are they telling folks other ways to make sure the water is safe.
As it stands now I am not for sure I would want to wash my hands or take a shower in it.

The demand for water in Austin has gotten beyond the ability for the treatment plants to supply it from the filthy feces ridden mud coming down the river and in the lakes.

More later as new developments arise.