Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old November 18, 2011   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Good for Greenhouse Culture

I know what this means, but really, what does it mean? WHY is a particular tomato good for greenhouse culture? Is it because it doesn't grow excessively big, or is it because it grows in lower light? What makes it good for greenhouse culture, and does that mean it doesn't grow as well outdoors?

Inquiring minds want to know
Old November 18, 2011   #2
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I know what this means, but really, what does it mean? WHY is a particular tomato good for greenhouse culture? Is it because it doesn't grow excessively big, or is it because it grows in lower light? What makes it good for greenhouse culture, and does that mean it doesn't grow as well outdoors?

Inquiring minds want to know
Then I too must have an inquiring mind, cause I would like to know.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2011   #3
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Inquiring lakelady and coloken,

Usually, the phrase 'greenhouse culture' implies 'commercial grower' and all of the requirements of a commercially grown tomato: blemish-free fruit, excellent production, disease resistance, how well it ripens when picked at blush, how well it ships, etc... (lower light might be a requirement) Flavor, in this use of the phrase, is not a major factor. It is a return-per-square-foot thing.

Personally, when I use the phrase, I am referring to an OP/heirloom tomato that sets well in a wide range of temperatures (since my greenhouse is unheated/un-cooled) and shows some resistance to fungal diseases (caused by the high humidity). 'Druzba', 'Floradade', and 'Ethel Watkin's Best' are a few I would put in this category. But, I only use my greenhouses for personal tomatoes, not commercially, so my requirements would not be the norm.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2011   #4
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

ah...thanks Steve! I got Ethel Watkins from you; and with all the fungus this year, I think I need to make sure it's on next years list .
Old November 19, 2011   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Usually, the phrase 'greenhouse culture' implies 'commercial grower' and all of the requirements of a commercially grown tomato: blemish-free fruit, excellent production, disease resistance, how well it ripens when picked at blush, how well it ships, etc... (lower light might be a requirement) Flavor, in this use of the phrase, is not a major factor. It is a return-per-square-foot thing.
This was certainly borne out in the Cabernet Hyb that I tried a couple of times. It was described as a greenhouse tomato also suitable for outdoors. It was beautifully shaped, red, very productive. But I found the tomatoes a bit hard and not a very interesting flavor.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2011   #6
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I think a good concept. Good for commercial, when I thought (hoped) that it was tougher and better growing in a closed environment. Which is not necessarily true.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2011   #7
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
ah...thanks Steve! I got Ethel Watkins from you; and with all the fungus this year, I think I need to make sure it's on next years list .
'Ethel Watkin's Best' did great in my greenhouses but I don't remember it being any better/worse than most others for resistance to fungus. It set well in all temps and had very good flavor. It also looks like a store bought tomato, and that can be a plus, or a minus, depending on your stance. Fruit were smooth and blemish-free. I was impressed enough to cross it with 'African Queen' in an attempt to get a slightly smaller 'African Queen' with more consistent fruit set.

I've never grown 'Ethel Watkin's Best' outside - hopefully it isn't the first tomato on your list to succumb to blight

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote