Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 30, 2011   #1
vagardener434
Tomatovillian™

Default My Greenhouse / High tunnel

I finished building this around Nov 16 of last year. I've made a lot of mistakes, but I've learned a lot as well. Planting an Indi like Rutgers so close to the outside wall was a bit of a mistake. I'm making it work, but lesson learned. For anyone who'd like to see how things have progressed, here is the youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/mhpgardener

It would be best to start by date with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmGTF4braY

so you can see the growth sequence of everything. Comments, suggestions, and constructive criticism are very much welcome.

Bobby
vagardener434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011   #2
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Why was it a problem to grow them close to the wall?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011   #3
vagardener434
Tomatovillian™

I don't have enough ovehead clearance for the vines to do what they really want to. As others have noted, indeterminates such as Rutgers can grow very tall if they don't encounter any growth issues. I wasn't aware of this when I planted them mid-Nov. Ideally, there would have been a more compact determinate in that first row, if any maters at all. I've learned a lot in the past 10 weeks, and still have a loooooong way to go.
vagardener434 is offline   Reply With Quote