Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old April 8, 2020   #1
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Default Wonder Boy

What ever happened to the variety called Wonder Boy and Prime Beefsteak that I used to grow in the late 70's & early 80's ? Anyone know ?

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2020   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Can't answer your question ..... but some info on these varieties ....... some interesting reading on breeding on this site

Prime Beefsteak (Hybrid no. 3) – Breeder and vendor: Ferry-Morse Seed Co. Parentage: Ferry-Morse inbreds. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, midseason, very large globe-fruited tomato with green shoulder and excellent ripe flavor, intended for market gardens, plant growers and home gardens, vine is medium large. Resistance: verticillium and fusarium wilt. Similar: Unique. Adaptation: western, midwestern and eastern United States. 1974.

Wonder Boy – Breeder: Petoseed Co., Saticoy, Calif. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, midseason cultivar with indeterminate vine; fruit very large: 1 pound or more. Adaptation: midwestern, eastern and southern United States. The Peto Story, Petoseed Co. 1959.

Wonder Boy VFN – Breeder and vendor: Petoseed. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, large fruited, smooth, deep oblate to globe shape, green shoulders. Resistance: verticillium, fusarium, and root-knot nematodes. Similar: Wonder Boy VF. Adaptation: wide. 1976.

http://cucurbitbreeding.com/todd-weh...ca/tomato-j-r/

Old April 10, 2020   #3
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Thanks much for the info. I grew these two in the early years of my tomato growing journey and would like to try them again to see what I think of them almost 40 yrs and hundreds of varieties later.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote