Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old August 17, 2011   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Passion fruit from seeds

I am in Rwanda for a few weeks, and I collected some passion fruit seeds from the delicious fruits here. Any thoughts on whether I can start them and grow them inside for the winter, bringing them outside next spring? I don't think they would survive even the Georgia winter.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We have passion fruit here in Texas and they come up from the root every year.

A yellow one is native to Texas and Mexico.
Another one has flowers but no fruit because it is a hybrid.
Then we have a butterfly that only lays it eggs on the vine of the passion flower and the caterpillars eat the vine.

If you can heap leaves or mulch up around the base every year and it should come back up in the spring.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have grown them from seed, I brought some over from a large vine I had in the UK and they did well. I have started seed several times over the years and one thing I found is they grow best from fresh seed. I started them in the house, grew them in till they were good strong healthy potted plants then put them out the next year. They make nice houseplants anyway.

Different varieties are hardier, I have succesfully sown several but most won't survive in my garden. The ones that have wintered here and in the UK are small orange ones about the size of a kumquat, I have never had any outside success with the larger purple ones.

I have 2 growing in the house now about 10 inches tall, these were from what we buy as Grenadilla which is a passion fruit that the shops give a fancy name too. I grew these from supermarket fruit and sowed them as soon as I ate the fruit. 2 came up from about 10 sown. These were huge, yellow almost pear shaped to a point at one end with red flesh. My plan is to put them in the greenhouse nest Spring.

Hope this helps.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Do they survive the winter there, or do you have to replant every spring?
Old August 17, 2011   #5
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi, the hardy ones that came from the UK survive, I have one that has fone through two winters and there are plants in garden centres here which are perennianl, even if sold as decorative all passion fruit are edible although like the UK ones they are small. My vine in the UK was about 9 years old and loaded with small fruits.

I haven't yet planted out any of the bigger fruiting ones but I would not expect them to survive here if they didn't in the UK which is why the two I have in pots I was going to grow in the greenhouse.

What colour fruits are the seeds from you have.

XX Jeannine
Old August 17, 2011   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

The dried ones are almost black, while the ripe ones are purplish-green. About the size of a duck egg.
Old August 17, 2011   #7
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I don't recognise the black dried one but the other one sounds like one I have germinated several times but it has never made it through a cold winter however they may not be the same so I would go for it.

I would be really happy to see the results.

Next time I buy a couple of the huge yellow ones would you like some seed, I saw them today but didn't buy them this time but will no doubt buy dome on my next shopping trip.

XX Jeannine
Old August 18, 2011   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Jeannin, for your kind offer to save me seeds. I think I will just try this delicious fruit that I am eating here in Africa - it is a lovely tart-sweet taste that I hope to get out of my own vines at home. Best, Scott
Old August 18, 2011   #9
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I am guessing it won't survive winter, but I think starting now, overwintering inside and planting out in spring is a grand idea.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2011   #10
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Have a great time XX Jeannine
Old August 19, 2011   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, folks, very much for your information. I have the seeds in my computer bag, and hope that I can get them past Customs without violating any law.