Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 18, 2018   #1
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Default Help identifying problems with tomato plants.

Hi all,

Was wondering if I could have some advice here. I checked the fusarium wilt thread and pictures of it online and it doesn't seem to be the issue here, though I don't know how quickly FW makes its presence known. This is happening on a few varieties -- I did happen to plant Momotaro which I know is vulnerable -- and we bought the seeds from a few places -- Johnny's, Fedco, Baker Creek, and Burpee. I'd have to check which specific varieties these are but thought I'd just quickly pick a couple off now to upload. We planted these about a week before Memorial Day and the plants looked clean. The late spring weather was quite terrible here in SW CT and plants looked stagnant for a while and then it got hot in a hurry. There seems to be early blight in a couple of pictures but I don't know what to make of the ones that have the white marks. The new growth on the plants looks clean but that probably doesn't mean much. My uncle has sprayed an insecticide twice but no fungicide yet. Any thoughts? I'm hoping it's just transplant shock from the weather getting hot in a hurry here for the majority of the plants but I am not optimistic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6553.JPG (151.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6551.JPG (108.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6549.JPG (127.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6550.JPG (122.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6552.JPG (119.5 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by ac21686; June 18, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

That looks... badly burned. Not sure by what though. Any radical spraying lately? Can you post a pic with the whole plant?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #3
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Have you sprayed with a bleach solution or peroxide solution by any chance?
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #4
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
That looks... badly burned. Not sure by what though. Any radical spraying lately? Can you post a pic with the whole plant?
I forgot to mention in my original post that these tomatoes are being grown surrounded by a plastic mulch layer/film. Is it possible that the leaves close to the plastic (some are touching) got too hot and ended up like this? The leftover plants that we did not plant and ended up selling to customers do not have the same foliage problems.

The only spraying done thus far was a concentrate of the insecticide Eight, which we've used in previous seasons with no problems (these are pretty young plants however as it's been a very slow season here). It's been applied twice, both times in the evening. I will try to get some pictures of the entire plants uploaded in a bit.

Thank you for your insight so far!
Old June 18, 2018   #5
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
Have you sprayed with a bleach solution or peroxide solution by any chance?
We have used only Eight liquid concentrate as directed so far. Nothing else has been sprayed on the plants. We usually use an insecticide of some kind like Eight and then a fungicide like Daconil, though we haven't used the latter yet.

Last edited by ac21686; June 18, 2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old June 18, 2018   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac21686 View Post
I forgot to mention in my original post that these tomatoes are being grown surrounded by a plastic mulch layer/film. Is it possible that the leaves close to the plastic (some are touching) got too hot and ended up like this?

Thank you for your insight so far!
Yes, it is possible.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #7
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

I've attached a few more pictures. The two with the tags are Sunpeach and Rose De Berne, and I attached another picture of another one with the same damage and then a plant that appears to have nothing wrong with it in an adjacent row about 7-8 feet away ("Red Candy," a grape tomato that we got plugs for).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6559.JPG (188.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6560.JPG (186.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6554.JPG (182.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6558.JPG (190.9 KB, 39 views)
Old June 18, 2018   #8
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

For some reason they uploaded upside down but I'm looking at them right now on my laptop and they are the right orientation. Apologies!