Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 23, 2018   #31
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

This is probably not relevant to your situation but in a thread about curling leaves it may be germane to someone else: Hardin's Miniature has naturally curling leaves, sometimes very curly, with nothing wrong.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #32
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and support. I went to two places looking for plants today and came home with 2 plants, a Cherokee Purple in a 4" pot for 1.69, and a Box Car Willie in a 4" pot for 4.69. They had some Brandywine, but are not too specific about variety, only say pink or red. I really like Sudduth. Not every Brandywine is equal to me. I will check a couple more places, but was not willing to pay 4.69 each for most. The Box Car Willies were over grown, too large for the containers, and the main stems curving all over. I found one pretty good one. I would have bought a couple more even at those prices if they had been good plants because that is one I grow myself and I really llike it. Not giving up yet. I have gotten so used to really great tasting tomatoes, even Big Beef was disappointing. I might go back to the one where I got the Cherokee Purple. They did have some Pruden's Purple, and if I am going buy a generic Brandywine, its going to be at 1.69 not 4.69.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and support. I went to two places looking for plants today and came home with 2 plants, a Cherokee Purple in a 4" pot for 1.69, and a Box Car Willie in a 4" pot for 4.69. They had some Brandywine, but are not too specific about variety, only say pink or red. I really like Sudduth. Not every Brandywine is equal to me. I will check a couple more places, but was not willing to pay 4.69 each for most. The Box Car Willies were over grown, too large for the containers, and the main stems curving all over. I found one pretty good one. I would have bought a couple more even at those prices if they had been good plants because that is one I grow myself and I really llike it. Not giving up yet. I have gotten so used to really great tasting tomatoes, even Big Beef was disappointing. I might go back to the one where I got the Cherokee Purple. They did have some Pruden's Purple, and if I am going buy a generic Brandywine, its going to be at 1.69 not 4.69.
Well here's what I think about your post above and I'm not going to hold anything back re my comments.

I am so jealous of what you found and what you paid I could cry.

I had to buy plants this year for the first time ever, I posted what they were and had to pay $4.00 each to get them.

Maybe that's b/c where you are there are LOTS of places that sell plants,whereas the town where I live near,in the boonies,has a population of only about 3K folks.

So watch me cry even more.

Carolyn
Old May 24, 2018   #34
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Those prices ain't too shabby.....
I posted this another thread. ~good virus tolerant~ annuals of a nursery I frequent, had a single 4" for $15. Buy 3 or more and it came down to $11...

I started about 120'ish annual flowers this year.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #35
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I was very happy with the 1.59 or 1.69 price I paid. The 4.69 was, I thought, over the top and even more than you paid, Carolyn. But I AM willing to pay a little more for nice quality heirlooms. I did the math and at 4.69 each it would cost me over 70.00 for the 15 or 16 plants I usually plant each year. That would drive back to planting hybrids, and make due. I might still do half and half if it comes to that. 35.00 is accecptable, 70.00 not so much, for me.

Flowers are entirely different, some are rare, difficult to start and hard to find and can be very pricey. I paid 50.00 ea with shipping for 1 gallon hydrangeas for myself and my mother and the nursery is in my state. (The shipping was worth it since it was about 4 hrs drive round trip to the nursery) But open pollinated tomatoes, when you can save your own seeds, seems kinda high.
Old May 24, 2018   #36
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Shrubs are very regional. $15 per g (starting at 3G) for Hydra's seems to be the norm. I was just referencing annuals - border plantings. Imagine $11 x 100 . Just a bit $$ for a border that will dieback come 1st frost.

With that said, between lights, water, etc - someone's got to pay the piper I suppose. For those in the know, I guess it depends on the nursery/retailer, but I suppose on the big-box level, the tomatoes are sold from cuttings and not seed ?
Old May 24, 2018   #37
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Really? 11.00 for one 4" pot of common annuals? I would definitely start my own from seed. I paid 29.99 or 39.99 for one pot of Hydrangea plus shipping, can't remember which. My point was that I paid a high price to get a variety that is not commonly offered. I also have not bought my tomatoes from Big Box stores but local Nurseries, and we do have quite a few. It just suprises me that two Nurseries within 5 miles of each charge such different prices. Anyway, my SIL works at the place that has the Pruden's Purple and she is going to pick up one of those and a Pink Brandwine for me tomorrow. I doubt it will be Sudduth, but it should be acceptable anyway. Beggers can't choosers, I guess.
Old May 24, 2018   #38
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Sue. I love me some Hydranga's. Have quite a few myself. Love Macro's. Hate the maintainece. Our limelight trees are bulletproof. I prefer to source them locally - as I like to ~cherry~ pick the ones out of the lot.....

Anyhow, if you are not familiar, check out Hydrangea Plus for mailorder Hydra's as a source
Old May 24, 2018   #39
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I will thanks. I got the Hydrangea Vanilla Strawberry. I can't wait for it to grow up, lol! T
Old June 15, 2018   #40
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default What happened to my seedlings?

So, after about 2 weeks outside, my curling little seedlings did start to look a little better. Not great, but showed enough improvement for me to decide to give them a chance. I planted the purchased plants I was able to find, and several of my seedlings. This is what my seedlings look like today:

2018 tomato with leaf curl recovered by Susan Albetski, on Flickr

Old June 16, 2018   #41
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

To me, the seedlings look great.

Yeah, the old curled grow doesn't recover, but the new grow comes in normally. I think you've done a good job of nursing them back to health. And they will certainly give you a full harvest of yummy tomatoes!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #42
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Just wait until you see mine,

....I think they will recover this week with some good heat forecast.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

Nice to see them looking so fine.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #44
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I am really glad to see that they've recovered! That was quite a ride they had and good on you for sticking with them.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #45
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I must say I am very happy with them at this point, lol. It will be interesting to see how they fare long term next to the plants I purchased. I expect them to be a couple weeks behind, at least, but we will see. They looked so bad before, it was tempting to just toss them all, and I might have if I could have found enough really good heirlooms to replace them. At least it demostrates that they really can come back.