Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old March 13, 2011   #61
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireilly View Post
Maybe Medbury Gardens can do a similar test on this batch? Hopefully you have some from the same batch. Only other thing I can think of is the postal machines.
Its got to be the postal machines because there's no way the seed was squashed by me,its rather *%#* me off that its arrived in such condition.

I'll sow some seed in a couple of days once ive picked some more and see how they germinate.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011   #62
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

All I can add is that I received some dwarf seeds sent to me from california from Vince (Thanks again) and they did not have padding and I only got 2 of 18 to sprout so my guess is the mail sorters were the issue.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011   #63
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrupp View Post
Carolyn, I have four Hoy plants growing and would be willing to send you what seeds I get to you so you could send out with your free seed offer. (if the deer don't get em and the crick don't go dry ) Thanks so very much Strax.
I do have one other person than myself who will hopefully doing some seed production, since with this walker I can only do some if Freda is here to help when the fruits are ripe but I'll take you up on your offer gladly.

How about I give you the Black Bears and overflowing crick, but don't send deer, have plenty of them, and in dry summers the crik here that goes by my deck dries up, so there you go.
Old March 13, 2011   #64
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Well, some good news. The first 6 I germinated in a baggie - I have not seen anything come of them after I sowed them in mix.

But... the 8 I put in a baggie with the exact same weak nitrate solution has sprouted 3 in two days!

So... not sure if anything is proven about what may or may not have happened in transit by this yet but there is life. I will report on what is the final ratio.

It might tell us something if you do have some of the same batch of seed here Richard.

I don't know how I managed to get 6 seeds that were all not viable unless it was that I shook the first 6 out of the bag. Later after I counted the seeds, etc., taking them all out and moving them around, I took the other 8 for test number two. So maybe part of the bag got caught in a roller and part did not? Hard to say.

Anyway, I'd say the "average" germination ratio might determine how many people want to receive. I think a day or two more will tell more about that.

Regardless, they are here and at least we have some viable seed.

And thanks for finding it, growing it, and sending it to all of us.

Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #65
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Ive just finished cutting up and extracting the seeds from two more large Hoy's, unfortunately i was then forced to eat the rest..............dam!! oh well,someone's got to do it

So more seed coming Walter,.but this time i'll add a bit more padding
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #66
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Sorry you had to force yourself to eat those.

Seriously, I do appreciate you doing even more to get these seeds out.

I have no idea why the first test batch failed, but I hope many of the seeds are still good. We'll know more soon.

And thanks again for getting these to us.
Old March 14, 2011   #67
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Well, more good news.

I looked at the 2nd batch and now there are two more starting to germinate, bringing it up to 5 out of 8.

And the first batch of 6 that were sown in potting mix - one of them popped its cotyledons above the soil this morning, 8-9 days after it was sown. Why is the second batch emerging before the first? I have no idea.

If the germination rate improves we can stick to the original ideas for seeds, if not, we will have to add in the number likely to be non-viable.

But I think I will open the offer later this evening just so everyone can get moving as planting out time is already here for many of us.

Thanks.
Old March 14, 2011   #68
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireilly View Post
Well, more good news.

I looked at the 2nd batch and now there are two more starting to germinate, bringing it up to 5 out of 8.

And the first batch of 6 that were sown in potting mix - one of them popped its cotyledons above the soil this morning, 8-9 days after it was sown. Why is the second batch emerging before the first? I have no idea.

If the germination rate improves we can stick to the original ideas for seeds, if not, we will have to add in the number likely to be non-viable.

But I think I will open the offer later this evening just so everyone can get moving as planting out time is already here for many of us.

Thanks.
OH MAN!!! Tonight! After it's taken me HOURS to get on TVille AT ALL!!! I hope it gets a LOT easier to get here before the offer is posted!!!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #69
freelancer79d
Tomatovillian™

I keep getting:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@tomatoville.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Old March 14, 2011   #70
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Seems to be cooperating nicely again... let the Hoy seed offer begin!!!
Old March 14, 2011   #71
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
let the Hoy seed offer begin!!!
You're funny

Did you bring your sleeping bag
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #72
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Nope, 'cause I'm not gonna sleep!!! Coffee anyone???
Old March 14, 2011   #73
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

The Hoy seed offer is now open here:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...654#post204654

I have no more updates on the germination numbers.

Thanks all.
Old March 15, 2011   #74
salix
Tomatovillian™

Well, I had my sleeping bag, coffee and a seed catalogue for whiling away the time, but decided to give up the #12 position to someone else. Will check in with 'retiree', and hopefully get some from that batch of seeds when they arrive in Canada. Thanks to Strax, Richard, Walter and Neil for doing this - it is much appreciated. Good growing to the lucky recipients!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #75
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Salix, sorry, I wasn't trying to exclude you folks from the offer. When I saw that Neil had offered to send within Canada I guess I was unaware that he had not received seed yet.

The whole series of events with the seed offer has not gone as smoothly from my end as hoped. I just didn't expect to be waiting on the seed itself once it got to me, and that's my inexperience showing.

Walter