Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 21, 2013   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default "Seed Caps?"

Occasionally, a tomato seed can't seem to get it's leaves out of its seed cap. But recently, I started 4 New Big Dwarf seeds, and all 4 that I planted had significant difficulty getting out of their seed caps. I've not seen 100% of germinating seeds with this issue (although 4 seeds is a low number). Is this likely a genetic abnormality with this variety? Maybe "old seed?" Any thoughts on this or "seed caps" in general?
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Most tomato helmet heads extract themselves in a few days if you just leave them alone. Peppers are another story. Lots of the time I have to get the tweezers out and help the peppers.

You get less helmet heads by planting deeper, as the friction of coming through the soil pull off the seed coat. But you also must wait longer for seeds to sprout and sometimes get less germination too. It's a trade off.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #3
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I dab the cap with a wet Qtip and allow it to permeate, then it softens the coat and allows an easy extract. It's true the peppers do seem to be a bit more resilient to holding onto their helmets
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

There have been a few posts about this that suggest putting a little bit of spit on the coating. Something about it staying moist longer and the chemical makeup helping more than water?

Either way, keeping it moist seems to help.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #5
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I've just been pinching them off between my nails, ever so gently. Crack, crack, slide. I think I've killed a couple, but if at least a little leaf survives, they seem to shake it off.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i use a little spit and wait a few minutes. i've also used water from a spray bottle, whatever is handy. then just wait a few minutes and pinch off.

i tend to grab the seeds where the split should be, not the flat part of the seed if that makes sense....

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #7
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

I've grown New Big Dwarf for several years now, can't say I've ever run into that specific problem with the New Big Dwarfs. It's happened to me with other varieties, but never saw a pattern within one variety either. Usually I just leave the caps alone and eventually they've fallen off, and maybe on one occasion I used a toothpick to pry one off. Moistening it as some have suggested, sounds like a good idea though. I'll have to try that the next time it happens.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote