Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 8, 2015   #1
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

Default sewing your own grow bags

hope this is the right place to post this
it is a link on sewing your own grow bags
http://northernhomestead.com/sew-grow-bag/
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #2
maf
Tomatovillian™

These home-made bags work well. I have made them before, or at least I cut out the pieces of fabric to my preferred design and passed them on to a female relative to do the actual sewing.

For an even easier and more male oriented construction method, the seams can be folded and stapled. This works particularly well for rectangular container shapes as the base and sides can be constructed from the same piece of landscape fabric. The staples will eventually rust, but they seem to last for several years.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #3
hrweather

its great to see a post like this.. i was about to make my own topic as im very curious of using fabric bags as containers next season, but Im wondering if all bags are created equal or not.

Is this method as effective as the commerical products (below). The smart bags seem very popular but I don't find it very economical since I would want over a dozen of them for tomatoes alone...and there is debate between the appropriate size. one reviewer states 10 gallon+ yields much better results, but sites list 5 gallon is perfectly fine. middle ground of 7 gallon??

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pots-5-G...rds=smart+pots

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...an/fabric-pots
Old February 10, 2015   #4
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Smart Pots has suggested sizes:

7 Gallon Smart Pot - Garlic, Leeks, Shallots, Lettuce, Spinach, Arugula, Chard, Endive, Escarole, Basil, Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Beans, Bok Choy, Kale, Peas, Parsnips, Small Annuals

10 Gallon Smart Pot - Peppers, Artichoke, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Strawberries, Onions, Beets, Turnips, Carrots, Radish, Patio Cucumbers, Patio Tomatoes, Larger Annuals

15 Gallon Smart Pot - Cucumbers, Potatoes, Summer Squash, Zucchini, Patty Pan, Crooked Neck, Eggplant, Tomatillos

20 Gallon Smart Pot - Tomatoes, Musk Melons, Water Melons, Pumpkins, Sweet Potatoes, Winter Squash, Acorn, Butternut, Hubbard
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #5
hrweather

the other brand states its "master gardener" uses 5 gallon...

What size root pouch should you use for a tomato plant?

A. We would suggest the 3 or 5 gallon Root Pouches for this application....Usage sizes are based on our master gardener's information as he has been successfully growing a wide variety of plants in our different Root Pouch products for multiple years.

---

im mainly wondering if the smart pots are really that different as they are the most expensive on the market. those "root pouches" -- even with handles -- are about half the price. does anyone have experience with these different brands or just making out of the material in the tutorial?
Old February 10, 2015   #6
hrweather

...and 20 gallon for a regular tomato plant, really?? i mean of couse it will do well but that seems overkill.
Old February 10, 2015   #7
maf
Tomatovillian™

The size of fabric container required depends on multiple factors including climate, sun exposure, frequency of watering, quality of potting mix, fertigation regime, pruning strategy, cultivar choice and countless other factors.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

deleted

Last edited by luigiwu; February 11, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #9
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

I have used both, although I have not used them in side by side growouts. I do try to find the smart pots on sale if at all possible, but have no problem using the root pouches if not available. Cant say that one is better than the other, not enough direct comparison. I tend to grow different things in each of them. A couple of things though:
The smart Pot fabric is much more pliable and thinner. The root pouches are stiff feeling and thicker.
The smart pots are more porous than the root pouches at least in looks. (I can see more light coming through in an empty smart pot.)
The material on the smart pots also holds water or wicks better IMO. Where as the Root Pouches seem to just act as a soil barrier, doesnt wick as much water in its fabric.

I would venture to guess with some of those observations that one might actually edge out the other as far as Air pruning and such, but I dont know if it would be a noticeable difference. And until I do a side-by-side, I wont know for sure. Like I said, ive grown in both, and was pleased with both. Far superior to normal pots IMO.

I know this didnt help one bit :-) Good luck whatever you decide, dont think you can go wrong with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrweather View Post
the other brand states its "master gardener" uses 5 gallon...

What size root pouch should you use for a tomato plant?

A. We would suggest the 3 or 5 gallon Root Pouches for this application....Usage sizes are based on our master gardener's information as he has been successfully growing a wide variety of plants in our different Root Pouch products for multiple years.

---

im mainly wondering if the smart pots are really that different as they are the most expensive on the market. those "root pouches" -- even with handles -- are about half the price. does anyone have experience with these different brands or just making out of the material in the tutorial?

Last edited by Hunt-Grow-Cook; February 10, 2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typos
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #10
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

blah blah blah

Last edited by luigiwu; February 11, 2015 at 05:12 PM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #11
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

In the California sun, when using grow bags, no matter the brand, the soil can dry out very quickly. Even with heavy mulch. That added water retention in the fabric might seem minimal but it does help imo. If only to keep the roots cooler. A part of the reason some people bury their smart pots half way. And while the fabric itself seems to wick better on the smart pots it is without a doubt more porous and therfore probably better at the air pruning as well. At least in my limited experience. A side by side comparison might have to happen this season. I've got a half dozen of the dwarf releases I'll be trying this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
I could be wrong but I thought the whole point of 'grow bags' was for air-pruning. To get a better, healthier root system. Not so much for using the bag itself as a 'wicking' device. I only do subirrgiated container gardening. And my potting MIX does the wicking for me, not the container itself...
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #12
hrweather

Hunt Grow Cook: No this is very helpful to me indeed! thank you for your feedback as I was hoping to at least hear from people who have used them.

so another question: i saw on a "most unique container used" thread, someone mentioned using plain 'ol fabric grocery bags for their pepper plants. my eyes lit up on that idea since i have tons of them and so many places pretty much give them away (or cost a mere $1). Any opinions on that?

In terms of drying out...which I am in San Diego with 0% precipitation most of the year ;(... I was thinking maybe mixing the soil mixture with part diatomaceous earth could help with that? I have started seeds in 100% that for the first time and I have been amazed at how it retains water.

Im really excited to try a lot of new techniques this season. I plan to go down to the beach soon to collect seaweed and start a seaweed fertilizer brew. actually cant believe I havent done that yet living and gardening in SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
I have used both, although I have not used them in side by side growouts. I do try to find the smart pots on sale if at all possible, but have no problem using the root pouches if not available. Cant say that one is better than the other, not enough direct comparison. I tend to grow different things in each of them. A couple of things though:
The smart Pot fabric is much more pliable and thinner. The root pouches are stiff feeling and thicker.
The smart pots are more porous than the root pouches at least in looks. (I can see more light coming through in an empty smart pot.)
The material on the smart pots also holds water or wicks better IMO. Where as the Root Pouches seem to just act as a soil barrier, doesnt wick as much water in its fabric.

I would venture to guess with some of those observations that one might actually edge out the other as far as Air pruning and such, but I dont know if it would be a noticeable difference. And until I do a side-by-side, I wont know for sure. Like I said, ive grown in both, and was pleased with both. Far superior to normal pots IMO.

I know this didnt help one bit :-) Good luck whatever you decide, dont think you can go wrong with either.
Old February 14, 2015   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
The size of fabric container required depends on multiple factors including climate, sun exposure, frequency of watering, quality of potting mix, fertigation regime, pruning strategy, cultivar choice and countless other factors.
I Agree.

Bigger container offers convenience (to grower) so that he/she does not have to attend the plant all the time. If you consistently provide the right amount of moisture and nutrients you can do it in much smaller container. Soil is just a medium for the roots to anchor, draw nutrient and moisture from it.

Climate is a big factor. In a hot and dry climate, a bigger pot can be very beneficial. Whereas in a cool climate it is not as big an issue.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2015   #14
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I love fabric pots. I don't make my own. I buy them at a Hydrophonics store. The
3 and 5 gallon are great for peppers, but in my opinion not big enough for ind.
tomato plants. The 5 gallon fabric pots are not as big as a 5 gallon buckets. When
it gets hot in the summer, just be sure to put a cheap plastic saucer under every
pot. I water the pot, and put extra in the saucer on the hotter days and it works
well. Otherwise they can really dry out.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Making grow bags is so easy even a man can do it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote