Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 5, 2013   #1
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing in Coco Coir

I'm attempting to grow using coco coir as a medium. I built a 5 gallon SWC and filled it with a mixture of coco coir that contained 25 percent pine bark. One brick made 2.5 gallons. I added 2 gallons of perilite and filled the SWC with this mixture. I added Myco Madness for soil innoculant. I plan to use hydroponic nutrients and grow the plant under a 200 watt led light.

Anyone have any experience using coco coir as a growth medium?
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #2
DutchOverflow
Tomatovillian™

I see this is a really old thread but maybe your still around, check out my plants I am growing in coco and its working out great although that light probably wont do squat.
Old November 24, 2016   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default I use it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchOverflow View Post
I see this is a really old thread but maybe your still around, check out my plants I am growing in coco and its working out great although that light probably wont do squat.
I have been following and using the material.It has shown up in bales at our local Hydro store.Great for rootball start/development.See below.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...highlight=soil
Old November 25, 2016   #4
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchOverflow View Post
Did you mean to post a link showing the plants?

As for using the coco coir and pine bark fines I didn't have good results so I switched to three parts coco coir, two parts perlite, and one part vermiculite. I planted a early girl tomato plant in the 5 gallon SWC and used the 200 watt LED grow light. The plant grew quickly and for three years it produced fruit every three months until I took the plant down.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote