Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 3, 2012   #16
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Ami, Let me make sure I have this right, In your non SWC You put growing media directly in the bottom of the container. You aren't using any rock's or things of that nature for drainage in the bottom ? Sounds simple enough if this is the case
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2012   #17
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Ami, augie, stormy, simm: Thanks for the replies, think I'm getting a handle on this. In any case, have made a few orders and look forward to seeing how it all works out. Part of the fun, eh? I wish you all a great growing season. Gary
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2012   #18
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Chief, no rocks or things for drainage. Just a soiless growing media with perlite mixed in plus some organic ferts. I do it that way with all my container grow outs.

Here is a plant I pulled out of a 5 gal container and cut the aggregate up to give you an Idea of the root structure. Then I used a hose to remove the aggregate from the root structure to give you an idea how it grows in the aggregate. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1126.JPG (213.6 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1129.JPG (266.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1132.JPG (248.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1137.JPG (254.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1141.JPG (270.3 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1152.JPG (274.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1154.JPG (272.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1161.JPG (239.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1163.JPG (260.5 KB, 163 views)
Old February 3, 2012   #19
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Ami, thanks for going into detail on how you do your container grow outs. I usually plant in a field, but I am growing a few of the dwarf variety's that are part of the dwarf project and I want them near the house so I can watch them closer. The container planting method is what I am going to do with them.
Old February 3, 2012   #20
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Picture #1. U.S. 5 gal Pail, U.S. 26 Qt styrofoam Ice Chests.
Ami, I like the idea of using styrofoam ice chests. I have never planted in containers, but might try a couple this year to get a few more tomato varieties to taste. I assume those are indeterminates you have planted in the styrofoam containers. Is that correct?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2012   #21
Germinator
Tomatovillian™

Hi

What is a "Florida Weave" for trellising or support?
Germinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2012   #22
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Check out this link and it will show you

http://www.foogod.com/~torquill/barefoot/weave.html
Old February 6, 2012   #23
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ami, I like the idea of using styrofoam ice chests. I have never planted in containers, but might try a couple this year to get a few more tomato varieties to taste. I assume those are indeterminates you have planted in the styrofoam containers. Is that correct?
Yes they are and here are some a little further along. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0395.jpg (253.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0396.jpg (258.5 KB, 177 views)
Old February 6, 2012   #24
Germinator
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Chief. I use something similar to stake up my dahlias but not weaved. Dahlias seem to have more and heavier plant material than tomatoes (bigger stems). I'll study the info.

Now, does anyone know best place to buy 7 gallon grow bags that won't fry in the hot sun? In past years, I grew in black plastic pots with no ventilation and had to use shade clothe around the pots (a real pain). Several references here for grow bags did not pan out (either Phoenixorganic's or Sonoma Plant works wouldn't let me go into catalog), Gardeners' Supply too expensive and/or Groworganic don't offer 7 gallon bags. I'm not looking for the most expensive and probably doesn't need handles....something to grow 10-12 dwarf varieties in. So, I'm also looking for any recommendations of people who have used different grow bags in the past (no styrofoam though).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Germinator
Old February 6, 2012   #25
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Germinator, as you can see from earlier posts in this thread, there is some variation in the way gallons are calculated for these bags. My "12 gallon" Easi-Lift bags with handles hold about 5 real gallons, and so on.

I came across this item in Home Depot online and ordered 1 pack of 25 for $14.97 plus shipping and tax. I haven't seen them yet, so can't vouch for them, but I seem to remember reports from folks who have used these black/white bags with success.

Please let us know if you discover other sources. By the way, if you're interested in what they sell at phoenixorganics.com, including the Easi-Lift grow bags, I suggest you call them. They're friendly and helpful on the phone (and admit that the website isn't reliable in many cases).

Good luck.
Gary

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Old February 6, 2012   #26
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Greenhouse megastore had the best buy on grow bags I found. i bought 400 5 gallon bags for my peppers and eggplant. It was about $120 delivered.
Old February 7, 2012   #27
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Check out this link. 4 mil bags, white on the outside and black on the inside 10 for $1.95.

http://www.discount-hydro.com/products/Grow-Bags.html
Old February 7, 2012   #28
Germinator
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gary, Ami and Huntoften for your help in locating reasonably priced grow bags. I now have some choices to look over. I think I will go to the 12-gallon grow bags and just not fill them all the way up if I find them a little large, if that will work? We don't have wind conditions here and I like the idea of bigger for root development. I also have regular sized indeterminates to put in them. Home Depot is nearby and I didn't realize they carried them and I kinda like the white ones with handles---just need to price them out. I'll call Phoenixorganics this AM.
Old February 7, 2012   #29
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Germinator, I grew five plants in the "12 gallon" Easi-lift white bags with handles last year and they did well. I'm going to wash and clean them with 10% bleach solution for use again this year (they're still in good shape). I do like the handles on them. Once I get the Home Depot ones and see what they're like I may add handles to those as well, using my sewing machine with heavy-duty thread.

If by the "12 gallon" ones you in fact mean the Easi-lift grow bags, you won't find them too large to fill right up. I put a couple of sheets of newspaper at the bottom (still drains fine) and a couple at the top, tucked down some around the sides, with marsh hay (or straw) on top to aid in moisture retention. I think mine, which had regular indeterminates in them, would have done better if I'd paid attention to the advice about regular fertilizing. This year I'm putting the dwarfs in the "12 gallon" ones and then see what the 7-gallon HD ones hold. I'm also going to try out Ami's suggestion about 26 qt styrofoam coolers and see how that goes.
Old February 7, 2012   #30
ZachAttacksPHX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Check out this link. 4 mil bags, white on the outside and black on the inside 10 for $1.95.

http://www.discount-hydro.com/products/Grow-Bags.html
That's what I ended up getting thanks to VAGarderner. I really wanted something white because of how hot it gets here. I have a bunch of black pots but I think they'll just get too hot. Plus at $.32ea for the 5 gallon out of California...no brainer.

By zjosey at 2012-02-07

I'll run them up a string.
ZachAttacksPHX is offline   Reply With Quote