Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2023   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Unusual Spring weather this year

Wow we are having a real spring this year with some fairly cool nights and days that aren't getting into the high 80s yet. As a result my late planted broccoli has done great but now the days are getting a bit hotter and the sun is taking a toll on lettuce and broccoli. The tomatoes are loving this weather and setting nice so far. Peppers are also trying to set fruit early so I am still picking them off until the plants get large enough to support large bell peppers. I just planted my cucumbers and will set out squash this week unless we are forecast any cold nights.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2023   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I planted squash 2 days ago. Watermelons and cucumbers are in trays and should germinate soon. It is time to plant peanuts, okra, cotton, and other hot weather crops.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2023   #3
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we on the other hand in the copper country are under a winter advisory.
locally we had about 8 inches of snow yesterday. a lot of that melted or went slushy,
by evening. today, we could get 5 inches. winds from the north at 30mph.
we have had snow in may before, but not to this extant. snowing, and blowing here.

keith
Old May 2, 2023   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

We have gotten the backside wind and cold from the UP snowstorm. Thankfully no snow. Our unusually cool weather and very windy conditions have put us about two weeks behind.
Old May 2, 2023   #5
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
we on the other hand in the copper country are under a winter advisory.
locally we had about 8 inches of snow yesterday. a lot of that melted or went slushy,
by evening. today, we could get 5 inches. winds from the north at 30mph.
we have had snow in may before, but not to this extant. snowing, and blowing here.

keith
Where is "Copper Country"?. Because it's near me, I think the UP of Michigan, and maybe a few other outposts around Lake Superior.

A brother-in-law recently retired to a little town on the lake in NE Wisconsin. He admits being sick of shoveling snow. I don't blame him...normal ice-out date on the lakes in my part of MN is around 4-18/20. I'm predicting today or tomorrow for here, but aside from a few northern exposures, most of the snow is gone.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk
Old May 2, 2023   #6
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Haven't had any snow for a couple of weeks now but still having nighttime temps in the mid 30's. My lettuce is growing well in the garden with more seedlings under lights in the garage which hopefully I can get in the ground in the next week or so. Tomato and pepper seedlings doing well under lights indoors. Will "Pot Up" the peppers in the next week. Looking forward to getting tomato plants out in the garden about 5/20/23 weather permitting.

Dan
Old May 2, 2023   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

the copper country as we call it is the region of the keweenaw peninsula, houghton,
and ontanagon counties. i'm in the keweenaw. spent about an hour in the truck
plowing snow from around the house, and drive way. supposed to 55 by thursday
but we need to be able to get in, and out every day, so had to fire up the truck.

keith
Old May 2, 2023   #8
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Keith....So what is your typical "plant out" date for tomato plants to go in your garden ? May 30th ?

Dan
Old May 2, 2023   #9
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i don't plant out until the first week of june, and ya better keep a close eye on the

weather. the first couple weeks of june can still be in the 50s, cold, and rainy. lows
can dip into the 40s, even 30s still. green house growers can get a head start.

keith
Old May 2, 2023   #10
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Here in Southeast Texas my first tomato plants were put out on February 26th and several have tomatoes. I planted sweet success and sweet slice cucumbers around March 8th and I may be eating cumcumbers this weekend. I had to break the frost cloth a couple of times in March just as a precaution, but the weather has not been cold enough to cause any problems.

My lettuce and endive which were planted kinda late are enjoying the cooler temps.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2023   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

For the last two days the highs have been in the lower 90s so I guess summer is here.

Bill
Old May 9, 2023   #12
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

We are also have an extraordinary cold spring with all nights below 0 C daily in May so far... Never like this before

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2023   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I miss those cool mornings now and they were great for tomato set. Now we are in the hot days and warm nights that will last for months and really slow tomato fruit set so I am hitting my tomatoes with TTF today and tomorrow. My plants are loaded but the fruit set has really dropped the past week so there are very few new tomatoes showing up higher up the stems.

Thank goodness the TSWV has been more normal this year. My first bed set out 3/24 had 15 plants and I only have lost 2 so far to TSWV. My second bed set out 4/11 was hit a bit worse with 8 out of the original 32 plants getting TSWV and being pulled. My third bed was set out 6/4 and so far hasn't had a problem yet. The occurrence of TSWV usually drops off as the summer goes on and now I can worry about worms, stink bugs, leaf footed bugs, Early blight, drought and the everyday problems of tomatoes.

I have had some health problems lately and it is a relief to have a good start for the season. I don't know if I could have handled another start like last year right now.

Bill
Old June 14, 2023   #14
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

My first set was 2/26, second set was 3/13, third set was 4/22 and the forth set the seeds were planted direcrecly in bed in early May. The April 22nd set looks the best and has the biggest fruit set.

We had both cooler weather and some hotter weather in April and May, not sure what effect either had on fruit set.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2023   #15
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

the month of may started snow white, and ended like it was mid july.

temps shot up to high 80s for a stretch making it difficult to work in the garden for
any stretch of time. i could of planted tender plants outside, and they would have
survived. the weather became more typical for early june here. we just went through
a stretch of cool weather. highs were in the upper 50s to low 60s, lows were in 40s,
and 50s. getting into an uptick of warmer weather now after two days of needed rain.

keith