Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2016   #91
bower
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, what variety is the PL that survived?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #92
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Yes, meteorologists measure temperature in two meters above ground. Because I am not able to predict the weather by myself, I use data from meteorologists and according to this deal with the cultivation. How much was the temperature in the ground below 0 ° C, not intersted me.
I did not test what frost withstand tomato 0-33. Only surprised me that frost destroyed all tomatoes 0-33 in foil tunnel but did not destroy one another tomato with potato leaves. To this day this tomato has not grown, but it is alive.
Vladimír
temperature ...just above the ground... below 0 ° C
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #93
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday tomatoes in a cold frame looked like this. All are growing. It tomato in the foil tunnel is Stupice. It is a big difference between Stupice in the cold frame and in foil tunnel.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duben.JPG (28.3 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0020.JPG (63.9 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0021.JPG (61.2 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0022.JPG (62.6 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0023.JPG (65.0 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0024.JPG (61.2 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0026.JPG (55.8 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0027.JPG (77.4 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0028.JPG (62.0 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0035.JPG (71.6 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; April 13, 2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old April 13, 2016   #94
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My 42 Days got sick, and I culled them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #95
imp
Tomatovillian™

I'm finding this thread interesting and wondering both. Maybe next year ( gardener's lament!!) I can get in some earlies and watch them grow.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #96
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well my confidence in Stupice is unshaken, for sure!
It's great to see the difference between foil tunnel and cold frame, Vladimir. A lesson for all of us.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #97
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I planted Saraev Stoikiy and Zolushka/ Cinderella/ in the protected spot yesterday. Zolushka is oldie but goodie det with salad size red tomatoes.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #98
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

In my experience a lot of the so-called early tomatoes are not that early', especially if they are grown in cool climate like our PNW. Big Beef (F1) was just as early, though it is a mid season variety. Bloody Butcher and Siletz have been my earliest in the past.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #99
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Stupice in the foil tunnel died. It did not survive the persistently low temperatures below 16 ° C.
All tomatoes in the cold frame are doing very well. Stupice and all Sarayev's tomatoes have already deployed flowers. Grows best M-22, worst 0-33. Even me, one of four 0-33 died and the other three have burnt leaves.
Some pictures in future.
Vladimír
Old April 20, 2016   #100
spuriousmonkey
Tomatovillian™

Growing tomatoes in Finland here.

I stopped pushing my tomatoes. This year I planted my seeds more than a month later than last year.

All the work you have to put in to get them out early is just not worth it any more for me. And all the stress when the weather turns, and usually it does unexpectedly. One year the weather turned in mid June. Lowest temperature was 2 degrees above freezing. This cold weather spell lasted an entire week.

This year I decided to not fight the climate any more. I am only growing short season varieties. Many determinants. And my seedlings are still tiny. I am aiming for them to go out on the 1st of june. Then they will have july and august. September is never any good.

I admire your experimental mindset though and dedication. It's good to try out this kind of stuff. It is the only way to find out what will work and what will not.
spuriousmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #101
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Now it is in our country very cold periods, comparable to 1991. Four nights were frosty, with the lowest temperature - 2 ° C. Day temperatures below 15 ° C. Only tonight temperature should be still below 0 ° C (probably the last this year). Then a warm up, day 16 to 20 ° C night over 5 ° C.
Determinate tomatoes in a cold frame are in excellent condition, are already on them inflorescence and some flowers are already developing. On Saturday, I will remove the frame and glass, to improve the conditions for pollination by wind. The picture is Sarayev Otbor 1, with four inflorescences, one is already blooming.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0100 Otbor.JPG (113.0 KB, 255 views)
Old April 28, 2016   #102
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey View Post
Growing tomatoes in Finland here.

I stopped pushing my tomatoes. This year I planted my seeds more than a month later than last year.

All the work you have to put in to get them out early is just not worth it any more for me. And all the stress when the weather turns, and usually it does unexpectedly. One year the weather turned in mid June. Lowest temperature was 2 degrees above freezing. This cold weather spell lasted an entire week.

This year I decided to not fight the climate any more. I am only growing short season varieties. Many determinants. And my seedlings are still tiny. I am aiming for them to go out on the 1st of june. Then they will have july and august. September is never any good.

I admire your experimental mindset though and dedication. It's good to try out this kind of stuff. It is the only way to find out what will work and what will not.
For me, this experiment is very important. The usual term planting tomatoes is with us after May 15. My tomatoes planted in this time begin to bloom in early June, it is a month later than the determinate tomatoes. So I should have ripe fruit a month earlier.
No work with the maintenance of these tomatoes, I just watched them grow and photographed them for documentation.
Vladimír
Old April 28, 2016   #103
imp
Tomatovillian™

Nice pictures and information and thank you!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #104
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

What??? No Kimberley, Mountain Princess nor Sophie's Choice?!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #105
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
The picture is Sarayev Otbor 1, with four inflorescences, one is already blooming.
Hi Vlado. As always, very interesting to hear about your progress. Great picture, it looks great.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote