Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2014   #1
GardenPeach
Tomatovillian™

Default Update on my Growing

Hello,

Just thought I'd share an update on my plants. as a caveat, I ventured into growing heirlooms knowing I don't have an ideal growing area, my plants get roughly 5 hours of sun per day as I live in an area where all the yards have trees and most more than 1; big oaks and maples. With that said and knowing tomato plants require 6-8 hours of light a day I thought I'd experiment and see if I could grow heirlooms given what I have to work with. So I planted 1 each of the following to see if they would produce:

Garden Peach
Mortgage Lifter
Amish Paste
Tigerella
Pumpkin

The garden peach is doing very well about 4 ft tall so far and still growing and there are about 6-8 tomatoes in the early stages of development.

The mortgage lifter is also doing well approximately 4ft tall as well and has 3 tomatoes so far in the early stages. as a side note, although I don't have what I've seen around here called a mega bloom, one of the blooms is 2-3x the size as the other blooms, pretty neat to see. Nice tomato growing on it as well.

The other three, amish paste, tigerella, and pumpkin have not done as well, some flowered, but then the buds fell off or the buds don't seem to be opening, Given that all 5 plants are within the same area therefore getting the same level of nutrients, water, sun etc. I can only assume these are more sensitive to the less than ideal level of sun.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Happy gardening everyone,
Steve
GardenPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014   #2
zero244
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like your tomatoes are coming along pretty good. I have a couple of container plants getting only about 5 hours of sunlight and they don't grow quite as vigorous but they produce very respectable yields. I came very close to buying some Garden Peach seeds myself. I would be interested in how they turn out for you when you start harvesting some.
zero244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #3
GardenPeach
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero244 View Post
Sounds like your tomatoes are coming along pretty good. I have a couple of container plants getting only about 5 hours of sunlight and they don't grow quite as vigorous but they produce very respectable yields. I came very close to buying some Garden Peach seeds myself. I would be interested in how they turn out for you when you start harvesting some.
Thanks for the insight regarding what to expect for plant production given the similar light situation. I'll let you know how the fruit turns out in a few weeks.

Thanks!
Steve
GardenPeach is offline   Reply With Quote