Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2010   #181
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes - I hope to do a few update clips - when that flat I planted starts to germinate, when I move it under the lights, then outside, then transplant (may not be separate clips - depends upon timing!

I also have to give a plug to that little Flip HD videocam - a tiny thing, not expensive at all, but easy to use and great results! (it has a USB adapter, so you essentially plug the videocam into your laptop to charge it, or transfer the clips). Light as a feather, can fit into a shirt pocket.
Old March 3, 2010   #182
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I just uploaded the next in the series - what I do as the seedlings start to emerge. The lighting is not great (cloudy day), but you will get the idea. Enjoy!
Old March 3, 2010   #183
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much for the videos Craig! I think I've struggled in the past in that I've watered too often during the '8 week period', but I'm not exactly sure what is optimal so I'm definitely looking forward to the next videos as you're a couple of weeks ahead of my seed planting.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming..
Old March 3, 2010   #184
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks for the comments, John! I will keep them coming. I think that the next one will be moving the plants under the lights and how I water them - then ease them outside to harden off. The final one, when I do the transplant into 4 inch pots, will have lots of my little tips and tricks to share.
Old March 3, 2010   #185
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

So this is a three day update, which is a pretty good review of the shallow planting method that I use. No pre-soaking of seeds. 100 cells were planted on February 27. As of tonight, 73 of the cells have germinated.

Looking at the age of the seed, two of varieties are from year 2000, one is up. Seed from 2003 is five out of five germinated.

We shall see what tomorrow brings!

Edited - it is tomorrow (today!). It is Thursday March 4, and we now have life in 92 of the 100 cells. Very speedy germination this year (but I am planting less really old seed)...will add more to this when I have my notebook to get an idea of which 7 have yet to show themselves!

OK - got the notebook. Yet to show their stems are Berkeley Tie Die (fresh from Brad this year), Earl of Edgecomb (from Darrel a few years ago), German Johnson (from Darrel a few years ago), Malschor Isura (saved 2005), Orange Banana (saved 2002), Rasp Large Red (saved 2002), Rose Quartz (from Darrel a few years ago), Pink Berkeley Tie Dye (fresh from Brad this year). Interesting to see that Silvery Fir Tree (saved 2000), Homestead (saved 2001), Druzba and Dr. Wyche's yellow (saved 2002) are up in 4-5 days.
Old March 4, 2010   #186
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just posted the third clip showing how fast things progress....we are not at transplanting quite yet - perhaps in 2 weeks!
Old March 4, 2010   #187
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

You da man Craig! Amazing the germination rate you're getting. I accidentally started seedlings last year in a soil mix and had good germination but ended up with runts which mostly died in about 6 weeks. Won't make that mistake again.
Old March 5, 2010   #188
DonnaK-NC
Tomatovillian™

Loving the videos and can't wait for the next one! Thanks so much!
DonnaK-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2010   #189
kevokie
Tomatovillian™

Craig, does this work well for lettuce as well?

"A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet
without violins."- Laurie Colwin, Home Cooking
kevokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2010   #190
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, Kevin - works great. I will probably transplant my lettuce before the tomatoes, and may shoot a video of that (a brief one).
Old March 7, 2010   #191
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for posting this. Couple questions -

Are there any vegetables you've found that do NOT work well with your method? Or does it work better with some things than others? I'm tempted to try it with everything I plant this year.

How long do you leave the plastic on? It doesn't contribute to damping off, or hinder growth or air circulation?

If I'm only sowing 10-15 seeds per cell would a 72 cell flat work just as well?

Thanks for the videos, it helps to really see what you're describing.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2010   #192
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hi happy dog (great name....dogs seem to be inherently happy, and they certainly make humans feel that way!)

Hmmm....I am sure it would work with cole crops, though I've not grown broccoli, cauliflower, or cabbage in years....but why not?

With large seeded items like cukes and melons, I use the plug flats and plant one seed per cell - when I pop out the plug and plant, you don't get root disturbance - and I plant them deep when moving them to the garden.

Certainly no need to do it for beans or corn.

I've used it for all sorts of flowers and herbs. So, I guess there is very little that I've not, or wouldn't, grow that way. This year will be the test to see how beets do. I plan to fill up a 50 cell plug flat and transplant one beet plant per plug - this should allow for decent root development and minimal disturbance when they are moved into the final bed.

I leave the plastic on (loosely!) only until the majority of cells have germinated - and am sure to remove it and let air circulate several times a day - and flip it so that the dry side is down each time. Once the plants are up, they hold up the very light plastic, so air can circulate. I think that by using the sterile soil less mix, you don't get damping off - I get none at all!

One thing to note is that densely planted cells really do drink heavily once the plants get some size, so it is essential to watch that the soil doesn't overly dry out -you can loose very young seedlings along the edge to dryness.

I guess in a way it is a good technique for someone who likes to really get up close and personal with their seedlings - you can't really just plant them and leave them for days...I do something with them - observe, flip the plastic, mist, water - several times each day.

Some timings -

Lettuce/beet flat seeded February 21, most germinated by Feb 24 - plastic removed, under lights in the garage on March 1, started easing into some direct sun on March 5.

Pepper and eggplant flats - seeded February 21, most germinated by February 27, plastic removed March 1, under the lights in the garage on March 7.

Tomato flats - seeded February 27 and March 1, most plants up March 3 and March 5, plastic removed on March 5 and March 7, will likely go under lights mid this coming week.
Old March 7, 2010   #193
celestina
Tomatovillian™

Craig--thanks for the wonderful clips. I've been using your method of seeding for 2 years now and it work wonderfully. It was really nice of you to post this.
celestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2010   #194
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The best is yet to come!

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Old March 7, 2010   #195
Jackster
Tomatovillian™

Craig, when are your frost dates and your 'market dates' for your area? I'm always worried I'm either too early or too late with my dates...

thanks!

J
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote