Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 7, 2018   #1
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Bred by Johnnys (JohnnySeeds.com)

I'm about order CherryBomb (F1 Cherry) and wondered what experiences you had with other Bred By Johnny's tomatoes.

Here's the bred by Johnny tomato list:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search/?q...to+&lang=en_US

I like thin skinned cherry tomatoes. In the '17-18 year I grew these hybrids: several of SunSeries, Esterina, Sakura. All performed/tasted great.

I also have a dehydrator now and the end of season tomatoes still left on the vine in July while I was tearing down the plant were great dehydrated.

BTW - I didn't know Johnny's developed Diva cucumber.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #2
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's knows how to charge for seed, but they are good seeds...unfortunately most are hybrids or so they say.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Taxi was one of their first varieties of tomato. It is an early yellow with massive yields. Flavor is mild and light, not anything like a late summer yellow tomato, but it is a great variety for market growers.

The Johnny's catalog basically tells me what I am going to see at market next summer. One family orders so much seed that they sent a sales rep to our market to talk to them in person. He asked me for directions. I saw his sales rep gear and mentioned that my market table earlier in the morning had been full of Artisan cherry tomatoes. He burst into a huge smile and gave me a hat. As he walked away, it occurred to me that he probably thought I bought the seeds from Johnny's, which was not the case.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2018   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Their Clementine cocktail tomato looks appealing, but then I am a sucker for orange/golden varieties (especially smaller ones) ..
But so many of those cultivars look the same - a red grape or cherry tomato, how unique and different can they really be?!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Witchcraft.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I'm about order CherryBomb (F1 Cherry) and wondered what experiences you had with other Bred By Johnny's tomatoes.

Here's the bred by Johnny tomato list:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search/?q...to+&lang=en_US

I like thin skinned cherry tomatoes. In the '17-18 year I grew these hybrids: several of SunSeries, Esterina, Sakura. All performed/tasted great.

I also have a dehydrator now and the end of season tomatoes still left on the vine in July while I was tearing down the plant were great dehydrated.

BTW - I didn't know Johnny's developed Diva cucumber.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37951

Carolyn
Old August 8, 2018   #7
MickyT
Tomatovillian™

I grew Cherrybomb last year as I wanted to test it's late blight resistance, but we didn't end up getting late blight at all. It is a good tasting, good yielding red cherry with uniform fruit and ripening. It's about average when it comes to cracking.
MickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Clementine F1 this year, from a plant I purchased locally. Until this week, it was outproducing SunSugar F1! Now SS has kicked in. Both started about a month ago -- around the same time as the 90+ temperatures.

Clementine is a beautiful tomato, very consistent, with a good flavor, though once the OPs/heirlooms started producing, I found I wasn't eating it as much.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019   #9
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Updated Results from my Bred by Johnny's. Too bad I don't see a place to leave reviews on their site.

5 Star Grape - The most amazing, healthy, productive plant. My plant got hailed in late March and came back even more productive. It is a HUGE plant.

Cherry Bomb - In the fall, I was disappointed b/c I grew it in the same Earthbox as Nectar (Parkseed) and Nectar was superior in every way - larger, sweeter fruit.

BUT, taking cuttings and then clones of the plants, I'm loving Cherry Bomb. Very productive this spring.

I'm going to check out Clementine and some of the others for the fall season.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019   #10
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Updated Results from my Bred by Johnny's. Too bad I don't see a place to leave reviews on their site.

5 Star Grape - The most amazing, healthy, productive plant. My plant got hailed in late March and came back even more productive. It is a HUGE plant.

Cherry Bomb - In the fall, I was disappointed b/c I grew it in the same Earthbox as Nectar (Parkseed) and Nectar was superior in every way - larger, sweeter fruit.

BUT, taking cuttings and then clones of the plants, I'm loving Cherry Bomb. Very productive this spring.

I'm going to check out Clementine and some of the others for the fall season.
Thanks, Barb.
Btw, I’ve grown Diva the last 2 years. Good cuke!