Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2019   #31
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

There's also an Open Pollinated version of Big Beef. Can't remember exactly where I got the seeds, but it might have been Tomatofest a few years back. I grow it every 3-4 years to keep the seeds fresh. I think it is better tasting than the Hybrid version (might be my tastebud arrangement). Anyhow, I think it does a great job on BLT's and when smothered with my home made country gravy. Yummmm!!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #32
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Do you guys think the 73 days to maturity figure is accurate for Big Beef F1 ?

I`m thinking of trying it in the UK in 2020 to see how they do in a glasshouse environment here.

The gardeners delight I grow now figure is 65 days so 73 is just over a week longer
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #33
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
Do you guys think the 73 days to maturity figure is accurate for Big Beef F1 ?

I`m thinking of trying it in the UK in 2020 to see how they do in a glasshouse environment here.

The gardeners delight I grow now figure is 65 days so 73 is just over a week longer
There's been a few threads here and on other websites like the old Gardenweb where "Days To Maturity" has been discussed. Here's a couple of points that were made in those discussions.

1. "DTM is not an exact thing." This is because there are so many things which can affect DTM. I always consider it a suggestion. Instead of a number, it is better to use more general terms like "Early", "Late", or "Mid Season".

2. The actual days to maturity you achieve can be very different even from you next door neighbor. Things like "actual size of the seedling at plant out", "Soil temperatures", "soil nutrients available to the plant", "Local weather conditions during the growing period", and "actual time the plant got direct sunlight each day". The list of variables can be very long.

3. When you harvest the fruits can affect the DTM. I grow outdoors and harvest at full blush. Sometimes I wait until full ripeness on the vine. Some of my times for the same plants can be more than a week different even within the same variety.

Basically, your special set of conditions you grow in and how you tend your garden at your location are different from anywhere else in the world. Therefore, your DTM's will be different from all others. Yes, once in a while you'll be exactly correct to the advertised DTM, but way off the next season or even the next plant in the row in the same year.

My total point here is that DTM is what the supplier of the seeds experienced in their garden before they harvested the seeds that you now have. Was their total growing environment exactly the same as yours is today? Is the total climate of the world the same right now as it was when the seeds were harvested?
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 8, 2019   #34
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I would add to my comments that I grew several Mid-season varieties in Suffolk, England just north of Cambridge when I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath. I built a small frame on the inside of the back-garden fence. I covered it with clear plastic and used Gro-bags purchased locally. 73 days DTM is what I call Mid-season. The plants in the growbags did just fine and the tomatoes were delicious.

BTW, we had a small soccer league on the base for our children. Both of my two sons played (Bill was a forward and Tim was a very good goalie). The kids were treated to an exchange trip to Wales (actually Swansea). The Lakenheath teams played against the local teams and were actually housed with the parents of local folks. Later, we had the children from Wales come to Lakenheath and we housed them in our homes. The kids had a blast and everyone had a great time. That was in 1978-9 and my two sons, who are both now "Grandparents still talk about how wonderful the local folks in Wales were.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 8, 2019   #35
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=xellos99;734916]Do you guys think the 73 days to maturity figure is accurate for Big Beef F1 ?

The gardeners delight I grow now figure is 65 days so 73 is just over a week longer[I/QUOTE]

They grow great in the greenhouse, you need to try them.