Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old December 6, 2010   #1
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Default Seed sowing time drawing near.

Once the holidays are behind us it will be that time of year again. Time to begin starting seeds for next years tomato crop and, of course, for tomatoes for next years SETTFest. I've been busy ordering seeds and planning where I can put an extra bed or two so I can grow a few more tomato plants. I plan to grow my seedlings out in a green house this year if I can get one built. I found some plans for a quickie, temporary green house here.
http://www.ericsprojects.com/?p=3

Weather permitting, I hope to get this put up over the holidays. Hopefully if we all get inspired and get growing now we can have a great showing of tomatoes by the time SETTFest rolls around. Remember, you need to sow your seeds about 6 weeks before you plan to put them out in the garden. For me this is mid January.
Old December 11, 2010   #2
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

As part of the HCC Horticulture Club fundraising project (see this thread --and yes I am still accepting donations!) EDIT: Okay, we're good now, thanks for all the help! --I am throwing in what seeds I have on-hand into the hands of the students. I will be also be lending advice and (if needed) sweat to this effort. I am not entirely certain when they will be starting seeds, but I am pushing the club sponsor to shoot for beginning to sell plants around end of February.

(Full disclosure: I may be taking "dibs" on a few plants, but I will be paying/donating for any plants that come from seeds that were donated by the Tomatoville Community. Lest anyone think I was being "sneaky"...)

FYI this is what the seed inventory looks like so far:
ATKINSON! (and I wish I had more...)
Serendipity (my 2010 "Atkinson" pick)
Brad's Black Heart
Sweet Carneros Pink
Paw-Paw
Cherokee Yellow (which we still cannot get a descriptor for!!!)
Cherokee Purple (from Roy and Shelly, of course!)
Heidi (same source)
Jetsonic
Bloody Butcher
Black Krim (wish I had more)
Tony's Italian (not many)
Earl's Faux (not many)
Persimmon (a few; not planting this one again myself)

Last edited by Mojo; December 17, 2010 at 05:19 PM.