Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 7, 2017   #1
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Culture in Pacific NW -- pls advise

Hello all. I have shared seeds with a friend near Everett, Washington. He now asks advice regarding successful growing. I know there are bits and pieces of information throughout Tomatoville on this subject, but if anyone has advice, I'd be glad to receive it. As you can imagine, I'm clueless about specific growing conditions in Everett.

If anyone can suggest things such as date for starting seeds, date to set out in garden, and even dependable varieties, I would be grateful.

Thanks for your time.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Tatiana’s is not really far from Everett,she moved I believe from Anamore in B.C to somewhere other.She is a vendor here .I’m sure you know that.I have friends in New Foundland on the other side.They start real early,use a lot of hoop house,3 to 5 foot deep brown warm mulches collected over years,steams at three feet,roots warm,optimal sun at those long winter days up in those northern climates( sun is closer to you in winter,angled,less time per day,but will warm and produce.
Old December 7, 2017   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

As always, “typical” varies.
I start mine first day of spring plant out more d to late may. Island springs are cool. Hot dry summers make up for it with production into October.
Feel free to direct your friend to my garden page if you like and he can learn along with me adjusting to the pnw climate. So far, I have had 2 really good gardens here. Any mid season varieties should produce well in a good year here.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Tatiana’s is not really far from Everett,she moved I believe from Anamore in B.C to somewhere other.She is a vendor here .I’m sure you know that.I have friends in New Foundland on the other side.They start real early,use a lot of hoop house,3 to 5 foot deep brown warm mulches collected over years,steams at three feet,roots warm,optimal sun at those long winter days up in those northern climates( sun is closer to you in winter,angled,less time per day,but will warm and produce.
Hi, Kurt. Yes, I have ordered seeds from Tatiana and I absolutely treasure her tomato database. Thanks for your response. Interesting about the deep mulch.

Sherry
Old December 7, 2017   #5
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
As always, “typical” varies.
I start mine first day of spring plant out more d to late may. Island springs are cool. Hot dry summers make up for it with production into October.
Feel free to direct your friend to my garden page if you like and he can learn along with me adjusting to the pnw climate. So far, I have had 2 really good gardens here. Any mid season varieties should produce well in a good year here.
KarenO
Karen -- I'd love to direct him to your garden page. Can you provide a link? Heck ... I'd love to direct myself to your garden page! I've read and enjoyed many of your posts (and photos!) here. Thanks for your response.

Sherry
Old December 7, 2017   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/
no sales just garden info, photos etc.
As always, everyone is welcome.

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; December 7, 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old December 7, 2017   #7
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Choirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Hi, Kurt. Yes, I have ordered seeds from Tatiana and I absolutely treasure her tomato database. Thanks for your response. Interesting about the deep mulch.

Sherry
There’s a lot of coir showing up.I get from Europe via Malaysia.And the same coir but another outfit via Seattle/Bc.Van.Alaska since it’s proximity to Asia does a lot of freight nowadays.TheWonder Soil was sold out of Lost Wages(Vegas)My IPhone came from China via Alaska.Pine would be too hot chemically,coirs,cocoa husks,a lot of husks from the nuts are all the rage now down here.No more Canadian p/ mix,no more sticks,and those mega green tomato cutworms.If I was up there I would stock,turn,experiment with that clean kelps that you guys grind up and sell us.Throw in some fish ground up guts cover wait It it doesn’t explode or move hay!
Old December 9, 2017   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/
no sales just garden info, photos etc.
As always, everyone is welcome.

KarenO
Thank you, Karen. I'm not on Facebook and sometimes it seems like I can see a public page ... and sometimes not. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Sherry
Old December 9, 2017   #9
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
There’s a lot of coir showing up.I get from Europe via Malaysia.And the same coir but another outfit via Seattle/Bc.Van.Alaska since it’s proximity to Asia does a lot of freight nowadays.TheWonder Soil was sold out of Lost Wages(Vegas)My IPhone came from China via Alaska.Pine would be too hot chemically,coirs,cocoa husks,a lot of husks from the nuts are all the rage now down here.No more Canadian p/ mix,no more sticks,and those mega green tomato cutworms.If I was up there I would stock,turn,experiment with that clean kelps that you guys grind up and sell us.Throw in some fish ground up guts cover wait It it doesn’t explode or move hay!
All our fish guts and carcasses go into the compost. Good stuff!
Old December 9, 2017   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Thank you, Karen. I'm not on Facebook and sometimes it seems like I can see a public page ... and sometimes not. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Sherry
were you able to see it Sherry?
KO
Old December 9, 2017   #11
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
were you able to see it Sherry?
KO
Yes! What seems to happen is that after I've visited a particular site several times, Facebook gets increasingly insistent that I need to log in, until finally I can see nothing but the log in page. I should think businesses that use Facebook to reach customers wouldn't be too happy about that.

So, I'll visit sparingly and soak up all the information (and beauty!) I can during each visit.

Thanks so much.

Sherry
Old December 9, 2017   #12
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Sherry

you are welcome to check out my blog - never as detailed as I'd like and I'm running rather behind this year but lots of tomato info over the years, along with other garden bits - my main focus is container tomatoes, but I do have a community garden as well

http://pnwtomatoes.blogspot.ca/2017/
Old December 11, 2017   #13
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Sherry

you are welcome to check out my blog - never as detailed as I'd like and I'm running rather behind this year but lots of tomato info over the years, along with other garden bits - my main focus is container tomatoes, but I do have a community garden as well

http://pnwtomatoes.blogspot.ca/2017/
Thank you! I think he plans to use containers, so I'm sure I'll find some helpful information.

Sherry