Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 11, 2013   #16
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmran1 View Post
Your plants may look puny, but healthy and seemingly productive. As discussed all over Tomatoville, container soils may be lacking in micro-nutrients. One of the cheapest 'additions' to try is, one tablespoon of Epsom salts per 1 gallon of water. And that is because the micro-nutrients: Magnesium & sulfer may be lacking in your top soil. I do this in all my containers, and I think there is a benefit.
Yes, I'd gotten clued into Azomite a bit late in the game--I hear it's terrific for providing trace and micro nutrients at planting time (definitely using it next year). I had Epsom salts on my list to buy but had forgotten it the last time I was out shopping. I'll definitely get it today and start supplying it for them. Thanks!
Old July 11, 2013   #17
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default fun

Isn't it fun to learn all this stuff....and maybe even get some return. I have noticed many people have different opinions on types of ferts and supplements. Maybe there are other variables involved....I am always afraid to over-fert, but I do several weak apps every week. It seems to me this makes sense. I have found that hours of direct sunlight is critical!
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #18
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to try the Epsom Salt supplement. I have two containers growing Black Krim and there are several issues. One, puny (i mean PUNY) crop. Soil may it be right. I think the containers don't get enough light, while at the same time they get a dose of reflected patio heat late in the day.

One plant has be one wilted the other one has a little tomato - not much bigger than a cherry tomato. I was trying to keep both alive during summer heat but I must have set them up for failure.

I'm going to place the pots off the patio, supplement them, pull the one wilted plant, see if I can find a transplant to replace it.

My concern is keeping them watered. Until I can afford an irrigation system, I have to hand water and if they are not on the patio it will be difficult for me to keep them watered. It's a disability accessibility issue that I need to figure out.
TexasAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #19
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

^ Temperature appears to be key, especially being in Texas. When we had a few stretches of 90+ degree days, my Black Krim dropped blossoms while the Lemon Boy did a better job of holding on. If you're getting a lot of ambient heat from the patio, I would definitely suggest either moving them off to the side or elevating them (use something like milk crates) to help prevent heat transfer from the hard patio surface.

What kind of containers are you using? Are they commercial or DIY SWC's? Are they light or dark colored? A dark colored container will absorb heat and cause stress to the root system. If they are dark, you might want to consider a quick-n-dirty approach of wrapping them in a light colored contact paper to help ward off heat absorption.

Lastly, on very hot days consider putting up an umbrella to give the plant some shade relief. It's better to have shade for a day or two than direct sunlight that will bake the plant through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
Isn't it fun to learn all this stuff....and maybe even get some return. I have noticed many people have different opinions on types of ferts and supplements. Maybe there are other variables involved....I am always afraid to over-fert, but I do several weak apps every week. It seems to me this makes sense. I have found that hours of direct sunlight is critical!
I think you're right--better to provide weaker fertilizer supplements more frequently then much stronger with longer breaks in between. Seems to be more in line with natural conditions.
Old July 14, 2013   #20
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
^ Temperature appears to be key, especially being in Texas. When we had a few stretches of 90+ degree days, my Black Krim dropped blossoms while the Lemon Boy did a better job of holding on. If you're getting a lot of ambient heat from the patio, I would definitely suggest either moving them off to the side or elevating them (use something like milk crates) to help prevent heat transfer from the hard patio surface.

What kind of containers are you using? Are they commercial or DIY SWC's? Are they light or dark colored? A dark colored container will absorb heat and cause stress to the root system. If they are dark, you might want to consider a quick-n-dirty approach of wrapping them in a light colored contact paper to help ward off heat absorption.

Lastly, on very hot days consider putting up an umbrella to give the plant some shade relief. It's better to have shade for a day or two than direct sunlight that will bake the plant.
I have one plant in a large plain clay pot, the other one in a white clay pot. That's a great idea to raise them up. Will get my friend to help this next week.

I just put up a big shade cloth on the horribly hot side of my patio. They might not get enough sun now, so maybe better if I line the pots up against the back fence. It gets morning and early afternoon sun and is shaded from about three o'clock on.

Then set up some water bags. I wonder if I can reuse a gallon milk jug for that?
Old July 14, 2013   #21
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, you could adjust the use of the shade depending upon the temperatures, but hopefully you have a way of doing that without much trouble seeing as you have some mobility challenges.

I've not tried using water bags, but I imagine a well crafted milk jug could suffice providing you give it a good cleaning.
Old July 20, 2013   #22
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

Well my plants are all wilty now, so I think I'll start fresh.
Old July 20, 2013   #23
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear that. All of my Black Krimeans grow in containers (various sizes) and they're setting fruit, but I wonder if they'll be larger than cherry tomato size..

My balcony was scorching hot during the heat wave, so one plant practically wilted - the growing tip is damaged, but the blossoms (seven altogether) seem strong.

Others grow in a more sheltered lcation and have lush green leaves and lots of blossoms, but no much growth in the fruit. If the end result will stay so small, how would that affect the taste? Everyone tells me how excellent the BK flavor is, but what if the size is smaller than typical to this variety? Too bitter / pungent?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2013   #24
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Sorry to hear that. All of my Black Krimeans grow in containers (various sizes) and they're setting fruit, but I wonder if they'll be larger than cherry tomato size..

My balcony was scorching hot during the heat wave, so one plant practically wilted - the growing tip is damaged, but the blossoms (seven altogether) seem strong.

Others grow in a more sheltered lcation and have lush green leaves and lots of blossoms, but no much growth in the fruit. If the end result will stay so small, how would that affect the taste? Everyone tells me how excellent the BK flavor is, but what if the size is smaller than typical to this variety? Too bitter / pungent?
My Black Krim are really smal too! I have two and I'll post pictures later. I think my soil isn't right so that's one thing, plus location, which BF will remedy today.

I'm a newb, hopefully more wiser users will chime in.
Old July 21, 2013   #25
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

Here are my two tomatoes. One is on the brink of going bad, but I'm gonna eat it. This morning. The other one I picked two days ago. I set my reading glasses in the photo for scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tWOp2HxR_original.jpg (138.3 KB, 29 views)
Old July 21, 2013   #26
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

^ Wow, those ARE small -- not much bigger than a cherry tomato. You've got a bonsai Black Krim going. I'm a bit of a newb as well, so I don't know quite how to advise. Maybe it was the wilting issue that stunted their growth.
Old July 21, 2013   #27
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Those are really small and cute, TexasAngel..! What interests me most is the taste

I do not care too much if my Crimeans stay very little, as long as the famous flavor is there...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #28
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

They were really good but I should have "put 'em on a Ritz"

Old July 23, 2013   #29
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAngel View Post
They were really good but I should have "put 'em on a Ritz"

That is how you get hooked. Now you going to want more and bigger and soon you will be trying your 100th variety.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #30
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

I think feeding the plants is integral. I have always grown most of my tomatoes in containers and they really do need to be fertilized often. I am trying the Epsom salt this year with good success. It is still early in the season for me and most of my plants are nice and healthy despite some really bad weather issues. I use fish emulsion as well as an organic general fertilizer.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote