Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 1, 2016   #31
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Gurneys sells a bean pole that looks like a patio umbrella with strings hanging down. I haven't used this "must have" gem that I am ashamed to say I purchased (win some, lose some - their tomato cages awesome for the price). It isn't nearly as sturdy as what is pictured above, just making the point that the dangling string reportedly works for beans.

- Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Hi Tormato,

The root of the bean plant is the bottom anchor. Once the bean plant grabs the string and climbs, everything tightens up. The string is tied on the top support by a knot so it really works great, basically it's fencing made from string that is as good as any wire trellis. Never had one break or any other issue with wind.
The strings themselves will blow in the breeze until the bean plant grabs it to anchor them which usually happens overnight (I don't hang the strings until the plants are a few inches tall).

I actually cleaned out my beds this past weekend and the strings are still there (supported by dead vine now removed) - a bit tangled at the bottom - I may evaluate and even reuse some of the string this year, but then again string is pretty cheap. We've had some 70+ mph gusts through here this Winter and 15-20 sustained winds is nothing but normal for this area. No issues.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #32
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The place is looking good Salt.

Worth
Thank you Worth.

General response:

I want everything to be lined up and proper, and yet, everyone else around here wants to see things more rustic and rugged. I want to build things that elephants can dance on, and yet, I see much less strong things working for others that might actually work better. Most everyone knows I am building the gardens as therapy to fight disease and anxiety.

I like reading and seeing other people's ideas and experiences. That's how I learn.

That is my idea of this thread and most of the threads I start.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2016   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Still Wrong

We set the poles 30" deep. The amended sandy loam topsoil is 18-21" deep. Then there is red clay that is wet. I packed each hole myself with mostly clay. The poles where put in using a line. They were straight.

I cut and screwed on the horizontal header boards. It looked nice. I unscrewed the boards and put the first coat of paint on them. You'll see why I removed them to paint them in the pictures. The whole idea was to give the posts a new fresh coat of barn red paint and the other boards white.

Did that yesterday and finished off the day mowing. I got up this morning to look around at the gardens. And looked at the poles... not one of them are plumb. The picture actually makes them look better than they actually are.

I have some old 2x10s and 12s. I guess we can rip those with the table saw and make DIY 4x4s for the other row and then connect the rows at the top with an arch or something. I wasn't ready to do that yet. I'm not sure I am physically able to this even with help.

But #$%^, I'm not going to leave it wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0059.JPG (78.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0061.JPG (89.7 KB, 71 views)
Old April 3, 2016   #34
drew51
Tomatovillian™

On my photo I now have put 3/4 inch diameter conduit and they hold up well to stress, still I'm going to run a pipe across for sure. Easy to do, even just using PVC elbows. or galvanized, see what pluming supply's I can get.

And Salt, yes it looks great, keep at it! I wish I had that room. So much more I would like to grow. Also I would love to add more fruit trees. Last year was an amazing stone fruit year for me. The best peach, nectarine, and plums I ever had in my life, and right in my own backyard! Really the very best I have ever had.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2016   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
On my photo I now have put 3/4 inch diameter conduit and they hold up well to stress, still I'm going to run a pipe across for sure. Easy to do, even just using PVC elbows. or galvanized, see what pluming supply's I can get.

And Salt, yes it looks great, keep at it! I wish I had that room. So much more I would like to grow. Also I would love to add more fruit trees. Last year was an amazing stone fruit year for me. The best peach, nectarine, and plums I ever had in my life, and right in my own backyard! Really the very best I have ever had.
Drew you can get steel pipe 90's and screw steel not pot metal conduit connectors right into them just take the lock nuts off.
Makes for a nice clean look.
You can get a bender and do away with all of the crazy fittings if you use a lot of conduit to make stuff.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2016   #36
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Treated pine 4x4 - 8' pole/posts are under $8 each at McCoys. That's a lot cheaper than I expected. I'm just going to buy them. I'll have to wait until my son gets his truck out of the shop to get them. The rack and pinion went out just as he got home the other day.

So now, it's time to figure out an arch to connect the rows/posts.
Old April 3, 2016   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Treated pine 4x4 - 8' pole/posts are under $8 each at McCoys. That's a lot cheaper than I expected. I'm just going to buy them. I'll have to wait until my son gets his truck out of the shop to get them. The rack and pinion went out just as he got home the other day.

So now, it's time to figure out an arch to connect the rows/posts.
Salt I used the landscaping posts check them out too.

Worth
Old April 3, 2016   #38
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Salt I used the landscaping posts check them out too.

Worth
Eight 4x4 posts = $64

http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-5-in-x-...9430/100037766

14 Landscape posts = $49.98
Old April 3, 2016   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Eight 4x4 posts = $64

http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-5-in-x-...9430/100037766

14 Landscape posts = $49.98
You got it brother.

I will almost always steer you in the cheapest direction as when I make something I take my calculator with me and design on the cheapest but best possible way.
I had my cart loaded with everything and took it all off and redid it many times.
Worth
Old April 4, 2016   #40
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

The umbrella shape is actually a good idea, I can envision something akin to the old spinning clothes hanger things people used to use.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2016   #41
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The 4x4s pulled out of the ground with next to no resistance - by hand no tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0065.JPG (84.7 KB, 55 views)
Old April 4, 2016   #42
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

A Little Salt

Sky Hooks work well for this. For normal or clay soil, I use the 10" but for sandy soil as shown here I recommend going with 12" Sky Hooks. These took 50 MPH winds without damage to the trellis or beans. Claud

http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...76&postcount=3
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2016   #43
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Saltmarsh, they do look good.
Old April 4, 2016   #44
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Just a thought. I looked at a lot of pictures online. There were a lot of pictures of supports that lean into each other at the top.

I drew this right before I saw Saltmarsh's post. It would be using 8' landscape poles and a 2x6 at the top, and then horizontal 2x6es across the top to tie it all together.

Like I wrote, it's just a thought. So what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0069.JPG (47.0 KB, 51 views)
Old April 4, 2016   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Just a thought. I looked at a lot of pictures online. There were a lot of pictures of supports that lean into each other at the top.

I drew this right before I saw Saltmarsh's post. It would be using 8' landscape poles and a 2x6 at the top, and then horizontal 2x6es across the top to tie it all together.

Like I wrote, it's just a thought. So what do you think?
You really want to know what I think.
Check the price of 2x4s over 2X6's .
They are cheaper and then you can put in the 45 degree braces and they will be stronger than the 2x6's for less money.
The only reason you would want to use a 2x6 in this application is if you were going to walk on them.
Worth