Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 28, 2017   #1
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Default Shelves and lights for seedlings - how would you do it?

Probably planning a little out loud here, but I'm going to need ~75 plant-able plants from seed this spring - mostly tomato, some pepper, cucumber, squash. Have to imagine that means 100-110 that are started. Last year was 25 and getting the lighting done well was a challenge. Everything was on the floor and I can't claim any additional space as is, let alone 3x! So I wanted to get ahead this year and poll the experts.

I used cinder blocks last year to hold the light fixtures and reoriented the blocks or the lights in the block holes to raise the light when needed. Used aluminum foil to reflect back at the plants.

My vision for 2018 is either wire shelves ($$) or cinder blocks + plywood shelves ($). Guessing it would be easier to hang lights from the wire shelves, but how many would I need? Maybe 32 plants on a 18"x4' shelf so 4 shelves total - 2 shelving units? ~$100 before any new lights.

On the other hand, I have some extra plywood and blocks are cheap. Would have to figure out a better way to hang the lights - maybe PVC strung between the block holes? How do I get the chain to hook into the PVC?

Any suggestions? What do you do?
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Wire white shelving,on adjustable system for lighting,h20/oxy exchange,no other organics( wood,plywood with chemical leaching)to inhibit,store crud,pathogens ,rat turds.You can hose off every spring.A lot of greenhouses use s.s.pulleys,combo of wire to raise the lights that are underneath the shelve above to accommodate plant growth in height,plant dependent of cousrse.Note a lot of nursery’s sell starts,seedlings,and move them once or twice then out the door to field or consumer.Figure out your intent,then tailor yourself.Took me twenty years here in 10b to finally get some kind of “ order” in place,good luck.

Last edited by kurt; November 28, 2017 at 05:53 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Not too helpful, but I'm in the same boat of needing a shelving upgrade for plants/lights.
I have a bunch of old metal shelving but it's all 3 ft, while the shop lights are all 4 ft.
I have a shelf area made from scrap lumber where I used to stack wood when I was burning it, now full of random garden junk. Could rebuild that to fit the lights with mostly existing material and some white paint.
However I love the idea of wire shelving. If I could manage to get a 4 ft unit I would rebuild the shelf space around that. Two reasons:
(1) Lurking distrust of electrical... those cheap shoplights that I'd like to leave on 24/7 for greens/microgreens in the winter. Would feel safer with metal, whether it is or not.
(2) Those wire shelves look ideal for drying my garlic in August when there's nothing under lights

And therefore serve a dual purpose really well...
(3) Of course another good reason for metal, it's a surface easy to sterilize if you get a pest thing happening ....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Look for Metal shelving that has NSF on it.
Here is an example.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...SS2448KIT.html

Here is the wire one in chrome.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...EC1848KIT.html

In any case look on this site and you will find something in your price range and size that works fantastically.
Or at least give you ideas on what to look for.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; November 28, 2017 at 07:47 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here are some to keep the cats like mine out.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/500...-and-kits.html
Old November 28, 2017   #6
imp
Tomatovillian™

Check Amazon and ebay as potential lower cost sources for shelving units, and check any auctions of restaurant equipment near you.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #7
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I think it depends on how fancy you want to be?

I have a 4 foot shop light that hangs from hooks in the ceiling, in the laundry room, that I adjust with a rope! (Classy I know)

I have a 2 foot grow light that came with a stand that sits on top of my fridge!

I made a stand out of pvc pipe for the grow light that sits on the coffee table:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04803.JPG (78.6 KB, 236 views)
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #8
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

I've done the PVC frame, but no idea how to get those hooks through the PVC to hang the lights on?

Worth, why the NSF rated materials?
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #9
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I have a small set-up but it may give you an idea as to how I use chains with "S" hooks so that I am able to raise the lights as the plants grow. Here is my set-up with early onions which get moved out to the porch when I start my tomatoes and peppers.

These are just wire racks from Home Depot and they are available in bigger sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04178.JPG (546.2 KB, 233 views)
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #10
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I built a 5 shelf, 2' x 4' light set up that holds 5 shelves of 4 1020 trays each. Each shelf has 4 T5's with reflectors. Each shelf can hold 60 4" pots. My frame is 3/4" PVC and my shelves are 2' x 4' insulation foam with sliver reflective sides facing down. I put it on wheels so I can move it. It is extremely light when empty and each shelf can hold about 50 lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prop Shelves 022215.JPG (340.2 KB, 234 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago I made an initial investment in one of the 72" x 48" chrome shelving units (currently listed for $110 at Home Depot) and six 4' two bulb T8 shop lights ($17 plus bulbs at Home Depot). And since this is set up in the basement where it's a bit chilly, I draped the back and sides with Mylar emergency blankets to reflect back light and what little heat the shop lights produce.

I use two lights per shelf on the bottom three shelves which are set to different heights, and the lights are suspended from the shelf above on adjustable chains. Gives me a lot of flexibility as seedlings grow. Then I have the top three shelves left over for storage. Or if you need more seedling space, just add shop lights to additional shelves.

As I said, it was an initial investment, but also a one time investment and when give up on growing seedlings indoors (which will mean I made a much bigger investment -- a greenhouse!), the shelf unit can be easily repurposed for storage.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #12
kurt
Tomatovillian™

As a blanket statement,let’s make sure with the metals/ electric/ stacking/watering,gravity are all isolated via proper,legal fittings,ground faults gifs etc..etc..Remember electric travels guicker than you can run to the breaker panel.
Old November 28, 2017   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway View Post
I've done the PVC frame, but no idea how to get those hooks through the PVC to hang the lights on?

Worth, why the NSF rated materials?
Because of quality for the most part.
I have worked around this stuff and it is top notch and rated for commercial use.
Not pushing it but is what I would get.
Worth
Old November 28, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I start a lot more plants than most people, but I use a 1000 watt metal halide in a small spare bedroom. People tend to be averse to such large power consumption, but my rationale is that, since I am starting plants when it is cold outside, I would have to use an electric heater to heat the room anyway. That seems like a much bigger waste of energy than using the light for heat.

With a big light, one can get away with just a single layer of plants, instead of having to stack them on shelving. I am always a little averse to having water on top of anything electrical.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ah, Kurt and Cole... a reminder why the fancy wire shelves are better for drying garlic than they are for starting seedlings.
At least for me, anyway... I'm a real slopper can't be trusted to water without a spill. No way would I pour over a second light.
Maybe the pvc pipe is a way to go... build in a drain pipe for me.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote