Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 11, 2012   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall cucumbers?

Has anyone down south had any luck with a fall crop of cucumbers? I have tried the last couple of years but the whiteflies were devastating to them. I'm giving them another try this year and I am hoping with the rainfall we have had that the whiteflies and spider mites might be less of a problem this year. I would love to have some cucumbers when my first lettuce starts making in late fall.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2012   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

A couple of days ago we replanted cucumbers hoping to have a few this year. Our main crop burned up with the rest of the garden (except tomatoes and peppers that I babied) in our heat wave and drought. I am not sure we have enough growing days left this far north unless the forecast of warm weather later into the year come true. Good luck with yours.
Old August 12, 2012   #3
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

I had a decent crop of cucumbers last fall until the RKNs got to them. I'm going to try your sugar and marigolds method for okra this fall and hope the RKNs don't get them before our first frost -- usually late November to mid December.
Old August 12, 2012   #4
mhjr5500
Tomatovillian™

whats rkn
mhjr5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2012   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjr5500 View Post
whats rkn
Root-knot nematode...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root-knot_nematode

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2012   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I will be applying the sugar but don't have any more marigolds for companion planting this fall. I just pulled up a bunch from the spot and I am hoping the marigolds will have a residual effect. I pulled up the old cucumber vines also and they showed no sign of rkn and some of them were still alive. I am going to replant in the same spot so we will see.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #7
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

I have a small bed of Eureka hybrids planted two weeks ago. I doubled up on them hoping some of them survive. My cukes planted April 5 are still chugging along.
I pulled aprox 6 sq ft. of Marigolds today, cut the blooms off and buried the rest in two beds. Don't know if it will do any good or not.

I'm may be violating scientific principals, but we all know that old saying: If it's good enough for Grandpaw, it's good enough for me.

I think my mother used a small piece of chewing tobaco steeped in water as a foliar spray. I've used it on stink bugs but never on cucumbers.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote