Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 10, 2013   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnets View Post
BKX is supposed to be Black Krim potato leaf. An improved version because it's reported to have less of a tendency for the fruit to crack. Also potato leaf plants are thought to have a greater disease resistance. This together with the same or better Black Krim flavor. I need to know!
I just read Terry's description on this one and I think she's saying a taste improvenet for her over RL, not that someone did some fooling around with it.
And I'm also assuming that the increased disease tolerance,not resistance, IMO is for foliage diseases only.

I started saying the same many years ago b;c I felt that the upper leaf epidermis was thicker, all to say that some find PL varieties to be more tolerant of foliage diseases and some do not.It also relates to the incidence of foliage pathogens at a specific geographic area in one season,

Carolyn, who loves PL over RL varieties but then one has to consider how a RL variety got to be PL in a genetic sense, and whether any other traits had changed. For me that was an issue with Indian Stripe PL and Orange Minsk PL, and Ithink the only way to tell is to grow both the RL and PL versions of the same variety in the same season,
Old December 10, 2013   #47
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I just read Terry's description on this one and I think she's saying a taste improvenet for her over RL, not that someone did some fooling around with it.
And I'm also assuming that the increased disease tolerance,not resistance, IMO is for foliage diseases only.

I started saying the same many years ago b;c I felt that the upper leaf epidermis was thicker, all to say that some find PL varieties to be more tolerant of foliage diseases and some do not.It also relates to the incidence of foliage pathogens at a specific geographic area in one season,

Carolyn, who loves PL over RL varieties but then one has to consider how a RL variety got to be PL in a genetic sense, and whether any other traits had changed. For me that was an issue with Indian Stripe PL and Orange Minsk PL, and Ithink the only way to tell is to grow both the RL and PL versions of the same variety in the same season,
Yes, that's what I was trying to say, or would have said if I knew more than I do.

Carolyn, if you were to write another book, I'd be delighted to read it!
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2013   #48
tomatoaddict

BKX is Black Krim Potato Leaf and the seed was sent to me several years ago by my friend Glenn Chandler in Texas. He found a lone PL growing in a field of regular Black Krim. It was much more productive and doesn't get the cracking or scarring the normal Black Krim can get. Same to better taste.
Old December 10, 2013   #49
tomatoaddict

Sorry, I posted the above reply before I scrolled back and read the previous couple of posts.
Old December 10, 2013   #50
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

Whoa doggies, more productive too? Yippee!!
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2013   #51
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnets View Post
Yes, that's what I was trying to say, or would have said if I knew more than I do.

Carolyn, if you were to write another book, I'd be delighted to read it!
Not a problem at all.I was just trying to clarify that the PL foliage was related to foliage diseases and that sometimes, other traits can change when an RLgoes to PL.

Terry,I'm sure you've compared both BK and BKX and have also found that you likethe taste of BKX better,as I hope many who grow BKX will also agree with you

And onward we go,says Carolyn,thinking of Brad's Black Heart that was also found in a field of BK as I remember,

Carolyn
Old December 11, 2013   #52
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Great site and I have some seeds I am interested in, but how do I know they will grow in my region? I am in hot and humid south coastal bend texas where fungal and bug problems exist year round.
Any tomato variety can be grown in Texas, if you use best growing practices to prevent fungus (soaker hoses, mulch, raised beds, sufficient plant spacing, application of Exel LG, Actinovate, and if necessary, Daconil).

I don't know any tomato variety that is bug-resistant.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #53
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the Alan Bishop bio on your site...I found this statement to be rather intriguing...

"In recent years he has stepped away from his seed list to focus on honing and increasing his seed stock in preparation for what he sees as the rough road ahead for all of us."

Is Mr. Bishop talking about the economy...or something else entirely? Any ideas?
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #54
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed reading the Alan Bishop bio on your site...I found this statement to be rather intriguing...

"In recent years he has stepped away from his seed list to focus on honing and increasing his seed stock in preparation for what he sees as the rough road ahead for all of us."

Is Mr. Bishop talking about the economy...or something else entirely? Any ideas?
Picture "Doomsday Preppers" ...on steroids.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #55
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Cool.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #56
tomatoaddict

Haha Mischka Never hurts to be ready right
Old February 24, 2014   #57
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

VERY impressed with the seed quantity in packets that I ordered!

Can't wait for these to sprout and grow!!
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #58
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Default I try to rotate through the list when i order anything.

I've ordered from most of the places on the list. This year, it was from Terry and Tatiana's. No problems with either.
If they can take the time to participate in discussions on T'ville, surely i can afford to spend a little money with them.

There are two tomatoes that i would be willing to trade my wife in on: Dinnerplate (a pink heart) and Old Buckeye (AKA Buckeye Yellow) I am afraid that they are long gone.

Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #59
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for putting up with my Goof Terry, I got those pepper seeds in over the weekend and started them in baggies. I'm sure that they'll be just as awesome as the stuff I ordered from you. I'll post up some photos when I have them.

Gaston
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2014   #60
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Excellent Germination!

Thanks, Terry- hope your business is doing well. Just wanted to report that out of the 5 varieties I ordered from you this year, 4 already have 100% germination after only 4 days! (The fifth variety has also sprouted.) The amount of seed in the packets is huge, too, which is important for some- an excellent value.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote