Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 12, 2017   #16
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Hot and humid with warm nights,that will turn things around.Just need a balance of rain and sunshine.Maybe I'm asking for to much.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #17
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Hot and humid with warm nights,that will turn things around.Just need a balance of rain and sunshine.Maybe I'm asking for to much.
never hurts to ask.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #18
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Yep,now we could use a little rain with this 92 degree day,looks like that might happen!
Old June 14, 2017   #19
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Well we got a downpour just now,this should help the alfalfa pellets I put under the straw break down.Cucumbers and tomatoes are flowering and I have peppers that are 2 inches long.
Old June 14, 2017   #20
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

we had 1/2 inch yesterday but the storm you got today was just North of us. I could hear the thunder and the sky was a dark as pitch but it didn't cross 71... as normal.
Old June 14, 2017   #21
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
never hurts to ask.

Long vacation ,welcome back.

As per original post.
Here in 10 b I like to stay with the larger bedding wheat straw,stiffer holds water in the straw,takes longer than the thinner coastal hays,alfalfas are bot to bad but clumpy.The thinner grasses seem to turn ugly black,clump unless separated,and are moldier than the dryer grasses.

Last edited by kurt; June 14, 2017 at 10:02 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Daylight savings in the winter and standard in the summer.
I go to bed at 8:00 to 8:30 and the darn sun is still up.
Worth
I would vote for that or just using standard time.

Quote:
Yep,now we could use a little rain with this 92 degree day,looks like that might happen!
It has been in the low 90s and very humid here this week, but it's getting hotter this weekend.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #23
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
we had 1/2 inch yesterday but the storm you got today was just North of us. I could hear the thunder and the sky was a dark as pitch but it didn't cross 71... as normal.
I thought I was the only one that the rain would go around,last year it seemed that every time we had showers,they went North or South of me.Looks like it could be wet for a couple of days as the air is unstable with this heat.I'm glad to have the straw down,don't have to worry about watering for a while after that soaking.
Old June 15, 2017   #24
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I thought I was the only one that the rain would go around,last year it seemed that every time we had showers,they went North or South of me.Looks like it could be wet for a couple of days as the air is unstable with this heat.I'm glad to have the straw down,don't have to worry about watering for a while after that soaking.
Nope. It is very interesting to watch the storms here. they generally tend to run up the I-71 line. it rains on that side but not this side of 71. you can drive over a bridge over 71 going to Medina and it is raining on the N side of the bridge but not on the bridge. seen it many times. We had 1/2 rain on Tue. A friend of mine was at my house when the storm rolled in... she lives 1 mile E of me. She got torrential downpour and hail... a customer stopped yesterday who lives another mile E of the friend and they had ZERO raindrops.
Old June 15, 2017   #25
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

My daughter lives off of Farr Rd,don't know if she had rain but it seemed to be southwest of us and that would be in your direction as well as hers.
Old June 15, 2017   #26
4season
Tomatovillian™

I think daylight savings time was proposed by Ben Franklin to save candle wax for half the year.
We don't use many candles today. Not having to deal with schedules like airlines or trains I think 10 minutes a month would be good, who cares if they are 10 minutes early or late ? Cows would appreciate only a 10 minute wait for milking instead of an hour.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #27
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Think I read someplace Ben Franklin came up with the time change idea to save on candle usage.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote