Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 28, 2017   #1
Tootall
Tomatovillian™

Default Found my perfect compost- beer mash leftovers

I have never seen such amazing results as this year when I started using compost from beer mash. My tomato plants are the darkest green, and are flowering and fruiting like crazy!

I tried everything else before this it seems but I hit the jackpot with this. My two hobbies now complement each other, and it's all natural.

If you make all-grain beer or know someone who does, try composting the grain leftovers. It's working incredibly for me!
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, I know a few spots to get used mash near me just never got around to it.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #3
Tootall
Tomatovillian™

I should mention there are a few lawn cuttings in the compost as well, perhaps 25% or so. This mix really loosens up the soil, too.

In 20 years, I haven't had better results than this.
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago we collected spent grains from a local brewery. Many 30-gal cans of it. It was winter and we couldn't easily get to the compost bin, so we dumped it on the paved driveway till we could move it. VERY BAD IDEA. All winter we had moose grazing on the grains!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
A few years ago we collected spent grains from a local brewery. Many 30-gal cans of it. It was winter and we couldn't easily get to the compost bin, so we dumped it on the paved driveway till we could move it. VERY BAD IDEA. All winter we had moose grazing on the grains!
Well that sounds like a great mix! Beer mash and moose doo mixed all together and, none of it leached out into the soil while it was composting on your driveway.
Old June 28, 2017   #6
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Problem is ... not much left by Spring! Moose poop is surprisingly small for the size of the animal, but is essentially compressed trees, so it does make fine compost.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote