Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old July 3, 2018   #31
bower
Tomatovillian™

Dee, it's very kind of you to call it "long term planning". I just never have enough time in one year to get something done and finished. But I accept those limitations and in this case, nice to be persistent about it and get a little done each year.. depending on the time and material available...
As for the moose, I have yet to show the shameful oak shelaileaghs I've grown, thanks to their habit of biting down every year... I am seriously thinking to just cut myself some cudgels out of it and have done with providing them the exotic yearly treats.
This one rabbit is in the garden every morning this year... and pic from this morning, decided to sit his butt in my new leek and onion bed, the better to chew those grassy tops near by and survey his domain!!! Argh. Not good, I will have to up the ante with row cover, or hope that grass tastes better than lettuce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rabbit-throne.JPG (454.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg rabbit-perch.JPG (165.3 KB, 69 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #32
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Ha! Seems he is enjoying a fine dining experience in his open air gazebo restaurant!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #33
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Cute unsuspecting bunny!
What sort of large leaved plant is it to bunny's left?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #34
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well, I don't grow lettuce, but I have bunnies just like that and they never bother anything in my garden. They just munch on clover, weeds and grass in the lawn, which I have no problem with. The other day, he was stretched out full length on his/her side, sunbathing in my garden. I didn't mind and not a thing had a tooth mark in it. Of coarse, I don't plant lettuce, and they did eat my pea plants when I tried to grow those, but a bunny has to live, lol. Anyway, I enjoy the wildlife. If they deciminated my tomato plants or flowers I am sure I would feel differently.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #35
bower
Tomatovillian™

Learning to live with wild animals.. yep. These hares mostly seem to like the grass and weeds, but there are a few things that need protection (hollyhocks) and I've kind of pushed the envelope now by planting out more greens. (and peas!) If they do get into it I will just cut my losses.. no time for a rabbit war. I have a lot of oregano gone to weed status, so when I see the bunnies out I like to think of them as "self seasoning" and how tasty they would be. Reality you can't even put snares out here since the neighbour cats also come and go. So the rabbits may be seasoned for some fox out there.
Coastal, that is a gentian (Gentiana lutea). They really like it here in NL, so there are lots. Blooming in mid July, before many of the other herbs. They produce pounds of seed in my garden every year, if you ever want some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gentian-time.JPG (453.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg gentian-swallowtail-f.JPG (273.6 KB, 54 views)
Old July 5, 2018   #36
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Who Needs a Gnome?

Laughing Tortoise Doing "Neener, Neener" Gesture
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #37
bower
Tomatovillian™

Nature provides.
I actually found two sizeable rocks with my house number on it, which I put out at the end of the driveway.... sadly the snow plow took care of that small wonder of the world.
Old July 5, 2018   #38
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful wilderness, but I do not know if I could manage to live there.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; July 5, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #39
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

"(Gentiana lutea). They really like it here in NL, so there are lots. Blooming in mid July, before many of the other herbs. They produce pounds of seed in my garden every year, if you ever want some."

Interesting and thanks but no thanks. No room left in my garden though I do wonder if the hummingbirds might like it as they do the oenothera - evening primrose, a tall version that self sows also having many seeds that winter birds like to eat.
Do butterflies flock to the gentian? It is tempting.

GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Is that a rabbit or a hare?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #41
bower
Tomatovillian™

Worth, they are snowshoe hares, but commonly referred to as "rabbit" here, since we have no rabbits.
Coastal, I have Evening Primrose too - great wildlife plant IMO. The grouse come to nip the leaves in spring, and the missus mooses come to eat the green seed stalks in the fall after calfing. And in the dead of winter, juncos turn somersaults over each other splashing seeds on the snow.
The Gentian is a fave of bumblebees, not especially butterflies that I've noticed. It's earlier than many of the other herbs in the garden, so it fills a time slot for them (and me!).
I have a lot of oregano too... butterflies are nuts for that. Sometimes the garden is just full of butterflies on the blooming oregano, not even to mention bumblebees in the hundreds - invasive weed that it is. Valerian also has big umbels of white flowers which butterflies seem to like, but would be no good for your sweet little hummingbirds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comma-darkside.JPG (386.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg admiral-O1.JPG (493.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg admiral-andspider.JPG (466.5 KB, 38 views)
Old July 5, 2018   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering because to me it didn't look like a rabbit.

We have jack rabbits here that are hares and the cottontail rabbit that is a rabbit.
The cottontail is the only rabbit that has a nest on the ground not in a warren.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote