Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old October 2, 2018   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default This years winter cover crop

Last year I did a tillage radish winter cover crop.It did well as I had holes leftover from the radishes after they rotted in the ground.The taproot went deep into the soil and the drainage seemed very good.Only downfall I could see was the foliage decomposed very fast and left me with bare ground through April into May.That allowed the soil to crack and get hard from the sun.I put in 12- 40 pound bags of cow compost to my 200 sq. ft no till garden.This past weekend I pulled up all my plants and tossed them in the trash.I mowed down the grass mulch I used this summer.I then used my garden fork to loosen the soil without turning it over.I then scattered my tillage radish seeds and added hairy vetch so I'll have coverage until I can plant my tomato and pepper plants.To kill my vetch in the past I just mowed it down and then planted into it.I'm hoping I get good growth from my radishes and the weather holds out for the next 5 or 6 weeks.I'm 2 weeks late planting this year.I retired in June but we decided to paint our living room,2 weeks ago,have new carpet put in which was today and have new furniture coming late this week or early next week.I also just bought a new car yesterday that I pick up tomorrow.It's been crazy,we also babysit our 10 month old grandson 3 days a week and he's starting to crawl and get into everything.But really loving being retired.Oh ya,our daughter who is mom to our 10 month old is having another child next April.That will make 4 grandchildren.Nothing better than being a grandpa!!!!We are really Blessed.

Last edited by cjp1953; October 2, 2018 at 06:17 PM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2018   #2
peebee
Tomatovillian™

You sure sound blessed and busy! Congrats on your retirement. I can't wait for mine.
Was last year the first time you cover-cropped? I sowed mine last week in anticipation of rain. Have yet to see a drop but there's always tomorrow.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2018   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

No I have been doing this for a while,I have used winter rye before I found hairy vetch and tillage radishes from another feed store located in a town not far from me.We had some rain yesterday and the forecast is calling for moisture this week and next should see germination in a few days to a week.Thank you for the kind words.I retired at 65 not wanting to wait another year(both knee replaced) and love it.I'm starting to get into a daily routine although that has been disrupted due to things being done around the house but it should go back to normal soon,Hope you get to join me soon you'll find nothing is better,the grandchildren will keep you young and busy.
Old October 3, 2018   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
You sure sound blessed and busy! Congrats on your retirement. I can't wait for mine.
Was last year the first time you cover-cropped? I sowed mine last week in anticipation of rain. Have yet to see a drop but there's always tomorrow.
What type of crop do you plant?
Old October 19, 2018   #5
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Yes, grandkids are indeed a joy.
I’ve used cereal rye and peas as a winter cover crop. I cut it down as the rye heads in early spring. Works well for me. I tried a wheat/rye/lupin mix last winter but the lupins didn’t survive for very long. If I use them again I will sow much earlier so they establish before the really cold weather sets in. I haven’t tried radish in the mix yet. I will give it a go next winter.
Old October 19, 2018   #6
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Radishes will winter kill and they need 60 days to get large I don't think mine will grow as big as I want, I planted 2 weeks late and it's been in the 30's this week but I think they will be alright until the temps get in the 20's.So far they look good and are growing.Grandchildren keep me young but I nap more during the day after they leave .lol
Old October 20, 2018   #7
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Our winters are mostly in the low to mid 20s overnight with warmish days so the ground never freezes here. I’m keen to make the cover crops as diverse as the local climate will allow. Most plants that don’t die over winter here don’t grow much either so have to be planted well before the cold sets in to get to any reasonable size.
With you on the napping. I don’t normally nap during the day but when I visit my son and his family (4 kids) I sneak off after lunch for a bit of a snooze. I love the kids dearly but boy do they wear me out!
Old October 20, 2018   #8
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo View Post
Our winters are mostly in the low to mid 20s overnight with warmish days so the ground never freezes here. I’m keen to make the cover crops as diverse as the local climate will allow. Most plants that don’t die over winter here don’t grow much either so have to be planted well before the cold sets in to get to any reasonable size.
With you on the napping. I don’t normally nap during the day but when I visit my son and his family (4 kids) I sneak off after lunch for a bit of a snooze. I love the kids dearly but boy do they wear me out!
I have 2 grandsons 6 years old and 11 months,I think the youngest wears me out more lol but I can't turn down any time he wants to be held.They grow so fast.The oldest will not sit next to me much anymore unless I'm holding the baby and then he and his 5 year old sister all want to sit on Grandpas lap.You have to love those times now when their young.Your weather sounds like what they get south of us and you should have good options when it comes to cover cropping.